Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting really bummed here guys, I need some help. One day I'm yelling YIPPEE and probably pissing off my neighbors while working later than I should, the next morning I have a dead tractor in the front yard. Maybe an angry neighbor come to think of it. I'm the 3rd? owner of a JD 4400 and no idea how many hours are on it, pretty sure the hours have turned over or stopped counting. It was working great one day, didn't run it out of fuel or anything, it just wouldn't start the next morning. Here's what I know, which is very little so please be gentle, I'm great at fixing houses and very much the beginner at engines.

The engine turns over, new battery new fuel filter and all the fuel lines are flowing nicely, fuel pump seems to be operating.
I cracked the injector lines on top, thinking there was air in the line, turned the engine over, no fuel came out.
Maybe a fuel solenoid because it's not clicking when I turn the key? Someone said it should click. Before changing that I had a mechanic come by this morning and he ran an electric tester in the plug going to the solenoid and he said it's not getting power so must be a bad relay in the fuse panel or something before the solenoid.
I bought a new fuel relay today, still nothing. The fuses were pretty dirty so I took all of them off and hit everything with a wire brush. No go.
I checked the safety cut-off under the seat, it's been bypassed so shouldn't be the problem, right?
The mechanic is thinking it might be an ignition switch but I'm hesitant to start changing parts just yet. A different mechanic says the injector pump. I'm thinking maybe solenoid, but the mechanic say's it before that. Where do I go from here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well I’d say you’ve done a good job so far narrowing down the problem, no power to that fuel solenoid seems to be the problem, so it’s an electrical issue.

You mentioned the seat switch is bypassed, I wonder if you have a problem with the neutral switch on the transmission?

Is there a way to check the leads coming off the ignition switch to make sure it’s sending 12 volts to the fuel solenoid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is where I show my lack of expertise. I have no idea what you just said. Neutral switch on the transmission? I'm sure I could check it if I new where or what it was. Are you thinking it may be stuck in gear? Would it still turn over if it was?

As for checking the leads on the ignition...I know electricians who probably could. I do have a multimeter for working on furnaces, but I do that so rarely that I wouldn't know where to start on an engine.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Check to see if your PTO switch is turned on. That will keep it from starting. It might also keep it from turning over. So you might just have a fuel problem.

Dave

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I had a Cummins dealer tell me that I needed a $4,000 injector pump. I asked if it could be a something restricting fuel delivery, they said nope - the computer was indicating an injector pump problem.

I left (without a new injector pump), found a small in-line fuel filter that was clogged, replaced it, then it ran fine - for a few hours. That little filter had clogged up again. I had to replace it a few times before the problem went away for good.

I would recommend checking to see if there is an inline filter that needs to be replaced.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
IF it is cranking as stated, then it is NOT a safety switch as they will keep the starter from engaging.

This series tractor (4200, 4300, 4400) had whats called a "thermistor" to operate the fuel solenoid, they quite often fail and cause the issue your having. It's only a $5 (or less) part but they can be a pain to change since they are wrapped up in the wiring harness behind the fuse panel assembly.

Here are some threads to review:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/large-frame-compact-utility-tractors-lcut/2396-john-deere-4200-no-start-answer-if-you-want-something-long-entertain.html

These are on TBN, scroll down past the adds:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/search/?q=thermistor

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This is where I show my lack of expertise. I have no idea what you just said. Neutral switch on the transmission? I'm sure I could check it if I new where or what it was. Are you thinking it may be stuck in gear? Would it still turn over if it was?

As for checking the leads on the ignition...I know electricians who probably could. I do have a multimeter for working on furnaces, but I do that so rarely that I wouldn't know where to start on an engine.
The neutral safety switch is a switch on the transmission that prevents the tractor from starting unless it is in neutral, the idea being to prevent a tractor from being started in gear, accidentally or intentionally, and having someone get run over.

Of course, as Kenny pointed out, this would prevent the tractor from cranking the engine (that’s what happens when I post replies after midnight, I knew that...)

Regardless I think Kenny nailed your problem, good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW!!! Thank you guys for such great help and quick response time, I should've come here long ago. Even if the suggestions don't work it's great to know this kind of help is available.

Kennyd, I think I'm going to start there with the thermistor. I saw a guy on youtube with the same problem and he solved it the same way, but boy you are correct, it won't be easy to access. I removed the bolts holding the fuse panel and I believe I see the little "chicklet". This is the most room I can manage though. (see pics)

I see this rod and bolt that appear to be for the steering and it might be pinning the wiring harness down, but I'm not sure. I THINK if I remove that bolt I might get a little more freedom on the wires but not much. Maybe not worth going that route?

Any suggestions on how to get back there more easily. Every pic I find online shows people with oodles of room to work with.

Thanks again guys!

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
Rob,
Sorry but I cannot help with access, I just know this info from many years on the forums (here and TBN) but I've not done the repair myself. I do know that once you get to it, you should extend the wires some with the same gauge wire, solder and heat shrink so it's easier to access in the future.

FYI the part number is LVU10323

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sorry, if I remove this bolt and/or it's harness, do you think it will free up some room on the cables? Am I opening up a can of worms by doing that?

Rob
Whatever that is that you have circled I would not try to loosen or remove the larger part that looks like a “bolt”, it looks to me like some kind of hydraulic line, I think you’d end up with a big mess and I don’t think it would actually move out of your way.

In your one picture it looked like the plastic cowling was getting in the way, is there a possibility you could remove more bodywork to get better access?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Service Manual

Sent you a PM with a link to my online copy of the service manual. Maybe that will help?

There's some fuel system diagnostics beginning on page 156.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
IF it is cranking as stated, then it is NOT a safety switch as they will keep the starter from engaging.

This series tractor (4200, 4300, 4400) had whats called a "thermistor" to operate the fuel solenoid, they quite often fail and cause the issue your having. It's only a $5 (or less) part but they can be a pain to change since they are wrapped up in the wiring harness behind the fuse panel assembly.

Here are some threads to review:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/large-frame-compact-utility-tractors-lcut/2396-john-deere-4200-no-start-answer-if-you-want-something-long-entertain.html

These are on TBN, scroll down past the adds:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/search/?q=thermistor
What he said.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Be patient and careful and fish thru the spaghetti......the leads are short, but one can get enough slack to separate it from the mess. Then, yes add some longer leads for FUTURE replacement purposes. Not one of John Deeres greatest engineering moves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FIXED IT! It was the thermistor! $10 part and maybe an hour of work and wammo, I'm pissing off my neighbors again! Thank you so much everyone, you've all been amazingly helpful and have truly gone above and beyond. I only wish you all lived closer so I could invite you over.

Great work guys!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
:bigthumb:... time . understanding the issue,communication..make for a running tractor.

Glad your back in action.

If only they were all this cheap and easy......(i can't say the rest)*

:cheers:

·
Registered
509 Posts
outstanding love this place!

FIXED IT! It was the thermistor! $10 part and maybe an hour of work and wammo, I'm pissing off my neighbors again! Thank you so much everyone, you've all been amazingly helpful and have truly gone above and beyond. I only wish you all lived closer so I could invite you over.

Great work guys!

Reactions: BigJim55 and Kennyd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all, this saved me a lot of time and money. I went out at 4pm to get to work on my tractor, it would crank but nothing. Came inside googled it and this conversation came up. I thought for $10 part might as well try it, made it in to john deere dealership 10min before they closed. Cut out old thermistor touch new one to wires and she fired right up. Still need to crimp and heat shrink.

Just wanted to thank you for all info.(y)(y)(y)(y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts