Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thank you all, this saved me a lot of time and money. I went out at 4pm to get to work on my tractor, it would crank but nothing. Came inside googled it and this conversation came up. I thought for $10 part might as well try it, made it in to john deere dealership 10min before they closed. Cut out old thermistor touch new one to wires and she fired right up. Still need to crimp and heat shrink.

Just wanted to thank you for all info.(y)(y)(y)(y)
i replaced mine a while back i just cut the old one out and spliced wires in and brought them around to the front of the fuse box for easy checking in the future ...here is a picture of the wires i brought around before putting the thermistor on

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,848 Posts
Thank you all, this saved me a lot of time and money. I went out at 4pm to get to work on my tractor, it would crank but nothing. Came inside googled it and this conversation came up. I thought for $10 part might as well try it, made it in to john deere dealership 10min before they closed. Cut out old thermistor touch new one to wires and she fired right up. Still need to crimp and heat shrink.

Just wanted to thank you for all info.(y)(y)(y)(y)
This is what make the forums the best! Try on on the stupid FakeBook groups LOL

Welcome to GTT!

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have replaced my thermistor and my fuel cut off solenoid, tractor still won't start. The new thermistor I put on gets really hot when I turn the key on. I hear the fuel cut off solenoid click but only for a second and the thermistor by then is super hot to touch.

Any ideas what's causing this out of the blue?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
So I have replaced my thermistor and my fuel cut off solenoid, tractor still won't start. The new thermistor I put on gets really hot when I turn the key on. I hear the fuel cut off solenoid click but only for a second and the thermistor by then is super hot to touch.

Any ideas what's causing this out of the blue?
More info needed...does the tractor crank over?.....its normal for the thermistor to get hot thats its purpose...if the tractor cranks but won't fire...and the fuel solenoid is working then you have a fuel source problem such as plugged filters, lift pump failure, etc

·
Registered
2 Posts
More info needed...does the tractor crank over?.....its normal for the thermistor to get hot thats its purpose...if the tractor cranks but won't fire...and the fuel solenoid is working then you have a fuel source problem such as plugged filters, lift pump failure, etc
It will crank, you can hear the solenoid click when you turn the key but very briefly. Before I used a button to by pass the thermistor but that quick working. It would still make that pin click but wouldn't hold it back to keep the tractor running

When I had the solenoid off the tractor would start in half a turn of the starter, very quick. I have a new filter housing on it as well.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
292 Posts
@Bk43,

Could you provide more explanation about what you mean by "It will crank, you can hear the solenoid click when you turn the key but very briefly. "?

It is normal to only hear the fuel shutoff solenoid click once (retract) when you turn the key from OFF to RUN or START. I think you might be saying that if you turn the key from OFF to RUN, you hear the solenoid "clunk" as it retracts, then a few seconds later you hear a 2nd "clunk" as it drops out?

If this is happening, this could mean that the fuel shutoff solenoid "pull-in" circuitry (which contains the thermistor) is working fine, but the "hold-in" circuitry is not doing its job to continue to hold the fuel shutoff solenoid in the retracted position until you turn the key off (or a safety interlock trips).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts