Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the pony was low on oil.............. and smoking.......... and not running the high rpms.......... what did i do?:scared: And now it will not start. it will fire when the starter is pressed but dies like when the switch is off... Please help!!!:eek:hmy:

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
Start with the basics. :good2:

1. Is the oil level correct? Was is severely low or just a bit low?

2. Does the engine turn freely? Does it have normal compression when turning it over?

3. Are you getting spark?

4. Are you getting fuel to the carb?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was low not clear down but a it fair ways down.... it ttook 2/3 of a quart... I will check some of the basics out tommorow how ever it did run earlier today.. compression acted normal turned over beautifully..

·
Registered
918 Posts
If it fires while cranking and stops when you quit cranking, it may just need a tune-up. Has points, plugs, condenser ignition wire been replaced? Has air filter been serviced? If it has been smoking, could be carburetor needs attention, adjustment or rebuilding. I would start with the basics first and then may need to go deeper if that doesn't help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ithas been running fine until last evening, however i believe the engine was burning some oil. I will try to start it again.. Thank you for your input:hi:

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Does it have a Zenith carb?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok its running again!:yahoo: But it is still burning oil.. Is there somthing i can do besides a rebiuld?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Being Spring how long has it been sitting since you started running it again? A compression test might help. What color is the smoke and how bad is it? Smoke doesn't always mean it needs a rebuild.

If you had extra oil in the cylinders that could make it smoke, but usually clears up pretty quick.

Oh and what made it run again?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run it at least once a week since i got it earlier this year. the smoke is white/blue and smells like oil and it used 2/3 of a quart somewhere....Once it is good and warm it does not smoke as much however it still smokes

·
Registered
222 Posts
make sure there is coolant, start the pony, put the tractor in a lower gear and let the pony drive the tractor around. have a couple quarts of gas with you as well.

One of the things that kills those ponys are starting up for 3 seconds, screaming at 5500 rpm, engage the big engine, 3 revs the big engine runs, and shutting down the pony. they never get good and warm and run for awhile, even running for a tank or two of gas will help, but work that pony and get it up to temp for awhile.

·
Registered
52 Posts
E.J.H.

Hope you are able to keep your 70D running. I agree with dieselshadow about sticking to the basics and I have a few to add. First top off the gas tank every time you start (attempt to start) the pony. I keep a one gallon gas can near by always. Then check and add oil as needed. Yes they smoke and yes they burn oil or as clooney used to say they blow oil. Two or three minute warm up is more than sufficient . Try using a good heavy weight oil, some even suggest a straight 40 weight oil. I like a good quality motor cycle oil the best, synthetic 20W50 but use 15W40 in most of mine. Start your pony and let it rip for extended runs if you want but be aware that JD suggest a total run time of 8hr before overhaul. How many minutes do you think it has already run in over sixty years? Have fun and be safe.

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
Wow! 8 hours? That’s goes to show you how much they get abused. I’m sure a good warm up and use they’d last longer and work better.

For the record, I love ponies. It’s super cool to take a weed burner at -30 and heat up the pony (not directly mind you). Then start it up. Let it start warming the big motor up for a while. Then throw the decompression lever over and start turning the big motor over. Top off the fuel and go back inside for another coffee. Come back out and the big motor now has decent oil pressure and is fairly warm. Pull back on the decompression lever and throw some throttle at her and let it grumble to life! Heck yeah! Let’s see an electric starter do that in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere in Alaska.

Ponies are cool. Keep it working. Keep up with this awesome piece of history. You have an awesome example. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts