Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My 4310 makes this whining noise in the front area of the tractor. I notice it when I idle down and get off the tractor to do some work around the bucket. It may also do it at higher rpm but it is very noticeable at idle, as the video shows. I bought the tractor last year with 400 hours on it and it now has about 460. I think it was doing this since I owned it. Any ideas ? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hey guys. My 4310 makes this whining noise in the front area of the tractor. I notice it when I idle down and get off the tractor to do some work around the bucket. It may also do it at higher rpm but it is very noticeable at idle, as the video shows. I bought the tractor last year with 400 hours on it and it now has about 460. I think it was doing this since I owned it. Any ideas ? Thanks guys

Check your hydro fluid levels. Almost sounds like what the hydraulic steering sounds like when you max out the steering in a turn. I would also look in the engine bay and see if there is anything that rubbing that might be causing the noise.

Do you know the last time the hydraulic fluid and filter were changed? While it may on have 400+ hours on it, if that oil has been in the system for years it might be time change it due to its age.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a complete service on it as soon as I brought it home. Hydraulic fluid level is good. While researching this noise, the closest things I found were 1, there’s a hydraulic hose/manifold that connects to the hydraulic pump on the left side of the engine. I guess sometimes air could get in the system of this hose gets dry rotted, solution is to replace the hose. The other closest thing I found was there was a poppet valve that caused the 45 46 and 4710s to make a hydraulic whine and squeal. Deere apparently has a new poppet that fixes this. Thinking about just getting both parts. Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
I don't know about the poppet valve issue, but the rubber manifold thing is for real and should be replaced on a machine of this age, and it's relatively cheap as I remember.

However, I did not listen to the video yet...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I did a complete service on it as soon as I brought it home. Hydraulic fluid level is good. While researching this noise, the closest things I found were 1, there’s a hydraulic hose/manifold that connects to the hydraulic pump on the left side of the engine. I guess sometimes air could get in the system of this hose gets dry rotted, solution is to replace the hose. The other closest thing I found was there was a poppet valve that caused the 45 46 and 4710s to make a hydraulic whine and squeal. Deere apparently has a new poppet that fixes this. Thinking about just getting both parts. Anyone have any insight on this?
Sounds like you need to inspect the hose and possibly replace it. The noise really sounds like something with the hydraulic system but is intermittent. Good luck on resolving this. I know its annoying to have an issue you can't identify and solve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about the poppet valve issue, but the rubber manifold thing is for real and should be replaced on a machine of this age, and it's relatively cheap as I remember.

However, I did not listen to the video yet...
Knowing about the rubber manifold, is it something that is known for this sound ? Or just that it Dry rots and should be replaced. That hose is cheap enough that I will just go ahead and order it and I will update when it’s replaced.

Yes these unknown tractor issues, or with anything I own, are super frustrating! Luckily the tractor is operating well and smooth.

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
I can't say that its known for any sound, but it is well known for cracking and / or collapsing and allowing air to be sucked in, thereby causing pump cavitation and foamy hydraulic fluid.

I would get a cheap mechanics stethoscope or use the long screwdriver to your ear method and try to isolate where exactly the sound is coming from, it very well could be a simple bearing in the fan belt tensioner or water pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts