Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 5101e. I've been trying to get my oil changed for a month now and I can't get the stupid plug off. I have nobody here to help me, and I know I'm not even using the right tool to do it. Now I have beat the hell out of the thing, and *IF* I ever get the darn thing off, I'm probably gonna have to order a whole new plug. So...Can someone please tell me exactly what tools I am supposed to use to get it off? Yes, I am that dumb. I have tried looking up the part number to see how much it will cost, but I can't seem to find that either. Does anyone happen to know that? I have so much work to get done, but I have to get this oil changed before I can get it going. Please help me!!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :bigthumb:

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page,,, a picture might be in order here.
if nothing else,,, we can see the condition of the remnants of the drain plug!! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Oh, yea,,, a better answer might be,,,,

5L Pneumatic Air ATF Engine Brake Oil Fluid Extractor for Cars Trucks | eBay

Suck out the old oil,,, add the new oil,,, change the filter,,, go to work!!

I have an Onan engine that has a drain plug I have never been able to remove,,,
and,,, I have much more than the normal tool set.
Luckily, my engine has two drain plugs,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
10,131 Posts
I'm assuming you're asking about the engine oil.

This is the pan that shows on JD Parts. The plug is item #10, part number R515195. It's $7.51 at Green Farm Parts.

If it won't come loose, you may need a longer wrench or a socket on a breaker bar. JD Parts is having an issue and I can't get the exact specs for the size of the plug.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
btw you don't need to beat yourself up for this. My tractor does not like to have the suction screen bolts removed so it took a while to get it out.:laugh:

What tool are you using at the moment? As long as a wrench can go on it and the threads are good, there is no reason to replace it.

Reactions: Levi and 5304

·
Administrator
21,603 Posts
I'm almost positive that plug has a recessed 1/2" square drive. Get a 1/2" drive ratchet and it should slide directly into the plug and allow you to remove it.

Google image:

Says DRAIN PLUG 22 X 1.5MM

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
You probably know this, but just to say it anyways; since you are working on a plug under the engine, make sure you are trying to turn the plug in the correct direction. That would be CCW as when looking UP at the bottom of the oil pan. If you are looking DOWN at the wrench from above it, you may be trying to tighten it even more. I'm sure you know this, but just in case.

And WELCOME to GTT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for all the answers! The good news is I may have been using the right tool after all. I have been using the 1/2 inch drive ratchet. But there is metal line in the way of turning it, so I was using extenders to try, but I think they weren't 1/2 inch but 3/8. I even sprayed it with penetrating oil. I still lose. I just went back out there with much more confidence after learning I was using the correct tool. (I think I was holding back a little, worried I'd break the plug if I had the wrong tool.) But still, I fail. I can't seem to find the 1/2 extender. Has anyone ever used a pneumatic oil extractor? I am considering this since I change the oil in my car, truck, mower, generator...and maybe someday my tractor...and I always seem to make a mess. Side note, I didn't change my oil on my car the last time since I was getting shocks and struts replaced, I let them. They didn't put the cap back on. I didn't check their work. A week later, I find a puddle in my garage. All my oil was gone. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Welcome from WV.

I had a hard time taking the drain bolt out of my 318. It felt like was going to break things. I was able t get it loosen up after I go the trans warm.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :bigthumb:

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page,,, a picture might be in order here.
if nothing else,,, we can see the condition of the remnants of the drain plug!! :laugh:

I agree about the pic. It would help us to help you. All of us on GTT are very helpful, but we want to make sure we get you the correct help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,418 Posts
If you are talking engine oil drain plug, R515195, it has a 10MM Recessed Square drive. So a 3/8 in square drive is a little under sized. Might work, but might ruin the square in the drain plug. There is also sealing ring R120247 you should replace. I assume it's a soft metal like aluminum.

Is the this the first oil change? I have heard of the filters being super tight from the factory. maybe the drain plug is to.

I am finding more and more things take special tools :nunu: The front brakes on my daughters Mariner calipers used a 9mm hex key. No one local had one to by. I sacrificed a 10mm hex key to do the job. I found one to buy on Amazon for the next time. Amazon may have a 10mm square drive for a ratchet. You may have to buy a set on oil drain sockets to get one.

Harbor Freight my have a cheap one too. They do sell an extra long 1/2 breaker bar, about 25" long. I have one and have yet to break it :mocking:

Also welcome from South west MI

Good luck! Good to see a lady doing her own work.

Also no dumb girls here, just ones that need help :bigthumb:

·
Registered
722 Posts
If only you weren't a thousand miles or so away.........:banghead:

Only advice I can give is find a 1/2 inch drive extension bar and a ratchet or breakover handle (breaker bar) with a longer handle. The longer handle the more leverage (mechanical advantage) you can exert to break the plug loose. You will have to hold the extension with one hand to keep it straight with the plug.
On another note, there are other forms of pumps you can use to get the oil out of the engine. Surely one type or another is available at the nearest automotive parts house. Autozone, Carquest, NAPA etc. some of these you can drive with a drill, others have a crank handle. Ask them for a siphon pump or do-it-yourself oil change pump. All of them will have a suction hose or tube you can run down through the oil fill tube (where you put the oil in the engine) into the bottom of the oil pan. Then you drop the discharge hose into a bucket or pan and crank away. Hopefully you managed to get the suction hose into the lowest part of the oil pan and the pump will remove as much oil as possible.

ETA: I just saw Z5's post and did not know of the 10mm square drive. If that's the case, a 3/8 drive will be too small and the 1/2 will be too big. Good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
If you are talking engine oil drain plug, R515195, it has a 10MM Recessed Square drive.
I want to say that when I went looking for the 7/16in square drive for my 318 I found one on Amazon. I found out that square drive is referred to as pipe plug. So if you are going to try to find one locally you may try to refer to it as such.

Sunex 214fp 1/2-Inch Drive 7/16-Inch Female Pipe Plug Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006L23G0W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_h.Jsxb3K9ZS1G

·
Premium Member
9,418 Posts
For 10mm square drive search eBay: CTA 2037 just a little over $6. I checked my Amazon set and of course it does NOT have 10mm square :banghead: It has an 8mm then goes to 11mm. Looks I'll be buying one "just in case" :bigthumb:

Another item that comes in handy is an adapter to convert 1/2" square drive tools (ratchets, breaker bars, extensions) to 3/8" drive. Then you can use the bigger ratchet or breaker bar with 3/8" drive tools. I "cheat" like that all the time :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
26,832 Posts
Has anyone ever used a pneumatic oil extractor? I am considering this since I change the oil in my car, truck, mower, generator...and maybe someday my tractor...and I always seem to make a mess.
I've had a Pela oil extractor for many years now. I first bought it for chaning the oil in my wife's VW since it has a skid plate under the engine bay. You don't need an air compressor. As shown in the video, you just insert the tube in the oil dip stick tube, give the extractor ~6 pumps, and that's it. You do have to give it an additional pump or 2 until it is done.

This has come in handy for other things also - like you say a small engine lawn mower or generator where you would normally have to tilt the entire unit over to drain the oil. I most recently used it for changing the oil in the gearbox for my belly mower.

http://www.amazon.com/Pela-Products-Oil-Extractor-liter/dp/B0000BYO97

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Need a new title

Somehow, I don't think "dumb girl" is the right title. Anyone who realizes they need a bit of advice ain't so dumb. You might, (and I do mean might) lack the heft to take an extremely tight bolt/plug out but the days of only man's work are certainly done. I'm seeing more and more young ladies take on farming responsibilities and doing them very well. I had to laugh the other day. I was talking with one of those young ladies and her phone rings. Her dad was calling as he was trying to plant soybeans and needed advice on setting the autosteer. He's been farming for probably 40 years but needed his daughter's advice on running the planter.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cross Thread

If I read your post correctly, you said you had lost all your oil as there was a large puddle on your garage floor. This leads me to believe your Dealer Cross threaded the plug thus causing the leak. It would not surprise me if they had used a Air Wrench to install the plug and in doing so never knew they had cross threaded the plug! That could make it very hard to take out. Those threads could be messed up!
I hope I am wrong and you have the plug out, finished the oil change and are hard work using your tractor.
Leo

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
2 things to try:

1. Try tightening the bolt to see if it moves.
2. Get a tight fitting bit or socket and try an impact.

Also, you're not dumb. You realized you need help and asked. MANY people would have FUBAR'ed it then asked for help.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts