Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help My D100 wont start and i have tried replacing all safety switches (4) Starter, Ignition switch and solenoid. What else could this be?? Also changed battery.
To be clear my lights come on and i get absolutely nothing when i turn the key to start it.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
How much oil is in it?

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
I don't think the D100 has a low oil switch.

To the OP... have you performed any checks with a multimeter? You can check for 12V at the trigger wire on the solenoid. You can also verify that the starter is good by taking a set of jumper cables, connect the negative to ground, the positive to the positive battery terminal and then touch the other end of the positive lead to the large terminal on the side of the starter. If the starter turns you know it's not a starter or battery problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the D100 has a low oil switch.

To the OP... have you performed any checks with a multimeter? You can check for 12V at the trigger wire on the solenoid. You can also verify that the starter is good by taking a set of jumper cables, connect the negative to ground, the positive to the positive battery terminal and then touch the other end of the positive lead to the large terminal on the side of the starter. If the starter turns you know it's not a starter or battery problem.
Thank you, yes i have used a multimeter on just about everything/
i can jump start it with pliers by touching the two ends of the solenoid together. Its how i have been starting it. can this do any damage in the meantime until i figure it out?

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Thank you, yes i have used a multimeter on just about everything/
i can jump start it with pliers by touching the two ends of the solenoid together. Its how i have been starting it. can this do any damage in the meantime until i figure it out?
No, jumping the terminals on the solenoid will not harm anything.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
The pto must be off, and the brake must be pressed and for a gear transmission it must be in neutral. Those are the only 2-3safety switches that will prevent a start signal from getting to the solenoid. On older tractors those would be purple wires, I’m not sure about the d series color code.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Broken / corroded solenoid signal wire?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would also verify the ground connections, particularly any at the solenoid. An easy way to check: put a jumper from the ground of the solenoid to a chassis ground then try it. I don't know the particulars of this machine, but sometimes the mounting plate of the solenoid is the ground return. Corrosion, dirt, even paint, can cause an open circuit.
Of course, all the safety devices have to be correct.
When you turn the key use the multimeter to verify the solenoid is actually getting the signal. Sometimes a connector pin comes loose, or is even broken, on the ignition switch connector.

·
Registered
977 Posts
A wiring diagram makes it easy.
If starter solenoid has 3 terminals (battery, starter, then small ignition switch connector), should read 12v battery side, 12v ign switch side when then sends 12v to starter.
Jumping verifies battery, cable, and starter are ok. If you're getting 12v to ign switch terminal when you turn key be sure solenoid is grounded...if so you have a bad new solenoid.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts