Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this tractor handle the 2 bottom plow from tractor supply ? Or is a one bottom a better fit

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Will this tractor handle the 2 bottom plow from tractor supply ? Or is a one bottom a better fit
You will get a bunch of replies either way on this. Here is a photo of mine pulling a 3 bottom chisel plow. I have not a pulled moldboard plow, I had hoped to try one this fall but I know plenty of people pull a 1 bottom 12” plow with 2 wheel drive garden tractors. I cannot believe this tractor will not pull 2 14’s perhaps 16’s but it depends on soil type as well. The one other moldboard plow I have is 4 18’s. I am quite sure it would not pull that.:laugh:

Read here for more chisel plowing details.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/metalworking-fabrication/113585-what-all-have-you-made-your-tractor-6.html

Then here for the rest of,the story

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/medium-frame-compact-utility-tractors-mcut/138522-2038r-r3-r1-comparison.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
You will get a bunch of replies either way on this. Here is a photo of mine pulling a 3 bottom chisel plow. I have not a pulled moldboard plow, I had hoped to try one this fall but I know plenty of people pull a 1 bottom 12” plow with 2 wheel drive garden tractors. I cannot believe this tractor will not pull 2 14’s perhaps 16’s but it depends on soil type as well.

Read here for more chisel plowing details.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/metalworking-fabrication/113585-what-all-have-you-made-your-tractor-6.html

Then here for the rest of,the story

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/medium-frame-compact-utility-tractors-mcut/138522-2038r-r3-r1-comparison.html
I like that Herm, thanks for bringing them pics back

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
I'd love to make a chisel instead of a plow but finding the shanks around here might be hard
What are they off of
They are very common. They are are 3” Deere shanks but we have a 10 shank Brillion that runs the same ones. I am sure Sloan express or Shoup equipment stock them as well. If you are in South East Iowa, stop by your dealer, they probably have stacks of them coming in this time of year, I forget the price but they were not too bad.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
Or here. Thanks Pat:good2:
I'm in the process of making a two tine chisel plow for mine now. I know I will have to make multiple passes to cover the ground but I'm okay with that. Its just for our home garden and also just to play, we'll still use the 10' on the 2-85 for the potato patch.
Let's face it Herm, your original post way back inspired me.:good2:

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Thanks. Nothing wrong with multiple passes, same reasons here. Of course you know what they
say about great minds. It goes too fast anyway:hi: The 2-85 is a very large garden tractor :laugh: and it is always a pain bringing the 10 shank down the road, not big enough to get respect, too big to keep in your lane.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
I'm in the process of making a two tine chisel plow for mine now. I know I will have to make multiple passes to cover the ground but I'm okay with that. Its just for our home garden and also just to play, we'll still use the 10' on the 2-85 for the potato patch.
Let's face it Herm, your original post way back inspired me.:good2:
I hope you post some pics when you're done.. Cool project.

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
Thanks. Nothing wrong with multiple passes, same reasons here. Of course you know what they
say about great minds. It goes too fast anyway:hi: The 2-85 is a very large garden tractor :laugh: and it is always a pain bringing the 10 shank down the road, not big enough to get respect, too big to keep in your lane.
Isn't that the truth, all of it:lol: and yes, the 2-85 is just a toy to us now, plowing and making hay is all we do now, just not near as much of each.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
I would think that you could pull a 2 bottom without much trouble. The sizes Herm mentioned are probably the best choices.
I was just on everything attachments website. They make a 2 bottom that is very nice and there is an excellent video by them explaining it on YouTube.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I like that Herm, thanks for bringing them pics back
I'd like to see a video of the tractor and chisel plow in action.:good2:

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I would think that you could pull a 2 bottom without much trouble. The sizes Herm mentioned are probably the best choices.
There's garden tractors at plow days that pull 2 12"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
I'd like to see a video of the tractor and chisel plow in action.:good2:
I'll have to get my camera lady on the job, I'll have to play at first, I know using a SCUT I may have to put a coulter blade in front of the points to cut the sod. I know it will work in our home gardens because we don't reseed them in the fall, but the potato patch we reseed but I'm still going to play up there and see even though we'll use the big tractor for the bulk of that.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
I'll have to get my camera lady on the job, I'll have to play at first, I know using a SCUT I may have to put a coulter blade in front of the points to cut the sod. I know it will work in our home gardens because we don't reseed them in the fall, but the potato patch we reseed but I'm still going to play up there and see even though we'll use the big tractor for the bulk of that.
With a moldboard plow I would agree. The chisel plow you will not. Mine has 2 model 7000 planter opener wheels in front of the center blade but that is because I designed to be a shallow trencher. For chisel plowing they are not needed at all because the points dig in easy although I built mine heavy. Once they are in two inches the get below the sod and then are just picking everything up. I had no issue when I tested in sod and actually I think cutting it would make make it not break up the ground as much. The biggest issue I had in sod is with the turf tires were not able to get a good bite.

·
Premium Member
13,820 Posts
With a moldboard plow I would agree. The chisel plow you will not. Mine has 2 model 7000 planter opener wheels in front of the center blade but that is because I designed to be a shallow trencher. For chisel plowing they are not needed at all because the points dig in easy although I built mine heavy. Once they are in two inches the get below the sod and then are just picking everything up. I had no issue when I tested in sod and actually I think cutting it would make make it not break up the ground as much. The biggest issue I had in sod is with the turf tires were not able to get a good bite.
That’s good to know, parts are coming in a couple of days so I will start working on it as soon as the weather breaks.

Reactions: Levi and pcabe5

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Guys, this will be my first year gardening. I bought a tiller for my 2038. Do I need a plow also?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts