Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 2840 (80-90 HP depending on which specs you look at) and was wondering what brand/size plow ya'll would suggest. Just have a few acres I want to plow and don't need anything pricey or very big. I do want one with a 3pt hitch. It would be used on "average" soil in south central Illinois. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
I can pull a 3 bottom 16" with the 2030 with fluid in the tires. I would think you could pull a 4 bottom plow.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Your tractor should be able to handle a 4-16 without any problem. A four bottom plow is a really nice size imo; big enough to knock down a 40 acre field in a long day (or two easy ones), but still small enough to store easily in a barn or shed.

Any plow you can still get sacrificial parts for is probably going to be a good plow. I loved my old Oliver Rooster Comb, but finding points for it was a very long and difficult ordeal. I ended up buying a second plow and robbing parts from one to keep the other operational. It was also a 60 year old piece of equipment from a company which is long gone. One of the reasons I have a John Deere tractor is that even 66 years after it left the factory, I can go down to my local JD dealer and I can still get new parts for it. Good luck doing that with an Allis, an Oliver, a Co-op, a White, and the list goes on. Plows and other attachments are no different.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Five bottom plow

Our IH 986 would pull a five bottom semi-mounted plow very well. If you go that big with a three point hitch plow, you will probably need weight on the front of the tractor or have trouble turning on soft ground.

You could find any number of used plows for sale around here but some of them have now gone for scrap. Very few grain farmers even use plows any more as it's mostly no till planting. Some of the vegetable farmers will use them.

Setting a plow up and getting it working right and then doing a good job on a field was just enough challenge to be fun. I sorta miss that but don't miss changing plow points or paying for moldboards. If you are only doing a few acres, get new points once and they will last a long time if you don't let them rust when sitting.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I would recommend a 4-16 semi-mounted plow.
This has the benefits of the 3-pt mount without having to carry all of the weight.

Oliver made a tremenous semi-mounted plow. It pulls easier than the others, and is more compact due to the front coulter being mounted to the lift-arm links.

This one is a long ways from you, but it is an example of what I am talking about:
Oliver 4 bottom plow

There are LOTS of these plows in south-central Illinois. (My family still has 2 of them 6-14's and 6-16's).

This one looks to be just like new. Hard to believe original paint looks this good:

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9543457

Tim

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Oliver plows

I would recommend a 4-16 semi-mounted plow.
This has the benefits of the 3-pt mount without having to carry all of the weight.

Oliver made a tremenous semi-mounted plow. It pulls easier than the others, and is more compact due to the front coulter being mounted to the lift-arm links.

This one is a long ways from you, but it is an example of what I am talking about:
Oliver 4 bottom plow

There are LOTS of these plows in south-central Illinois. (My family still has 2 of them 6-14's and 6-16's).

This one looks to be just like new. Hard to believe original paint looks this good:

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9543457

Tim
We had both 4 and 5 bottom semi mounted Oliver plows and still have the 5 bottom, although it hasn't been used in quite a while. They are a bit tricky to get set up but would do a great job if you got them set right. If you use the same tractor for plowing all the time it was mostly a one time issue.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
754 Posts
The OP says, "I only have a FEW ACRES I want to plow...", so figuring 3-5 acres I'd look for a fully mounted 3-bottom, whether 14, 16, or whatever size bottoms. Something small to store, and parts availability would be important, like replacement shares, shins, cover boards, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts