Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I’m thinking about selling the front plow and just useing the rear blade and front bucket to plow snow any tips on this am I going to regret doing it also anything on the proper way to do it

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I used a rear blade and bucket for a long time, worked well for me. Now I use a rear blade and a HLA snow pusher, I can move more snow faster with the pusher. But still use rear blade to scrape up the last little bit. If I get another rear blade it would have the hydraulic angle cylinder on it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I use a front and rear blade. The front blade has a piece of mining belt bolted to the edge for the squeegee effect. Won’t always cut through packed or frozen ice so the rear blade gets used for that. I find I use them both every time it snows. It’s my preferred setup. My blade offsets to the side so sometimes I will set it about a foot further out and use them at the same time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just purchased a Frontier RB2172H, pushed snow this morning with it on my ~600' driveway. They hydraulic angle is a must! If money were no object, I would have purchased the snow blade for the loader; but it was almost 2x the money and less versatile.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I use a 54" snowblower on the front of my 1025R and a hydraulic 60" rear blade. With the Tractor Tim - Summit Hydraulics rear SCV it works great. Very happy.

rob

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I use a rear blade and the bucket also. I angle my blade and use it like a snow plow and the faster you go the better it works. I put a yellow plow edge on mine because my driveway is asphalt. The bad is the tires pack the snow down a little before the blade hits it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For snowfalls more than a few inches, I use a rear blade with a mining belt bolted to the edge and the front bucket with edge tamers mounted. The bucket is handy for getting the snow away from the driveway. Much of my plowing is done in reverse, actually.
If there isn't much snow, I use the walk-behind snow thrower. It's probably quicker, but it's not as much fun.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
It would be best if you could try plowing with the bucket and rear blade before selling the front blade. The front blade is going to be the easiest/quickest way to plow especially if it's hydraulic angle.

Personally I think a snowplow on a truck or SUV is better, you can easily push a lot of snow with an 8'-9' blade and you're in a heated cabin. I'm thinking of getting a used plow for my Tahoe for this reason.

·
Premium Member
19,851 Posts
It would be best if you could try plowing with the bucket and rear blade before selling the front blade. The front blade is going to be the easiest/quickest way to plow especially if it's hydraulic angle.
I agree, with keeping the front blade, I 've tried the rear blade , finally gave it to my SIL.

SIL driveway is 1/4-1/2 mile long, his dad and me have tried telling him to use the front blade to clear his driveway.

NOPE , no way, he spent apx 6-7 hrs using his FEL to clear 4" of snow yesterday. A few years ago , he hadn't put the front plow on , so I went over took off his FEL put on the front plow , Plowed his driveway with about the same amount of snow fall . All total took me maybe 2 1/2 hrs. and like him , plowed in L range and in the 25-2800 rpm range.
I guess he likes being out in the cold using his 2305,, I don't.. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ok so I’m thinking about selling the front plow and just useing the rear blade and front bucket to plow snow any tips on this am I going to regret doing it also anything on the proper way to do it
I'm guessing that you want to free up your tractor for loader use so another option would be a loader mounted blade or possibly even a snow pusher although if I was considering a pusher I would also consider a 72" wide materials/snow bucket instead for more versatility.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
954 Posts
My theory is to have an assortment of options depending on the situation. Now being able to get all those out and available to use is another matter. Depending on your age, constantly looking behind you can be a real pain in the neck, literally.
Dan's post is spot on IMO. Depending on the amount and condition of the snow (wet/sticky vs light/fluffy), a snowblower and/or blade becomes the best tool for the job. Our current setup with a 54" SB on the front and a 60" RB on the back helps for most situations. I will add, and just made note of it again the other night when clearing 3" of light snows with the blade... I give credit to those with rear mounted blowers and blades as I am not the biggest fan of having to pivot in the seat when using the blade.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That's all I use: rear blade and FEL. Would not needed chains yesterday to work a plow: too heavy. Back blade loaded up within about 10 ft. Had to use FEL on heavy stuff.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I use a rear blade and the FEL. Well, I use a rear blade and the FEL rides along while I do so.

I want a front loader mounted blade and I think with the rear blade that’ll be ideal for my situation. We don’t get big snow frequently enough to merit a blower. 2-6” is far more common. I clearEd a 2.5-3’ storm last year with the FEL and rear blade and it worked well. For that much snow I don’t know how a front loader mounted blade would do…. But I’d still have my bucket if I need it to move snow that way.

While I’d love to have top/tilt hydraulics on the rear and a 3rd function for a FEL mounted blade, I’d prioritize the front blade hydraulics and keep the rear blade square to the tractor. I often find use to push front then straight back to clean up any leftovers.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I should clearing it up I have a loader mounted plow right now just don’t use it very much and it’s taking up space so I’m thinking I own my rear blade anyway

·
Registered
693 Posts
Currently I have just a front mount snow blower for a 1/2 mile of gravel that i clear. I am thinking I need to get a rear blade for the lighter snows cause anything less then 4" the blower just is not very useful on gravel. I think (correct me if I am wrong) I could use the rear blade to get closer to the gravel and handle the slush and light stuff better.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Currently I have just a front mount snow blower for a 1/2 mile of gravel that i clear. I am thinking I need to get a rear blade for the lighter snows cause anything less then 4" the blower just is not very useful on gravel. I think (correct me if I am wrong) I could use the rear blade to get closer to the gravel and handle the slush and light stuff better.
I don't think you are wrong at all and up to a few years ago, all I used was the front mounted snowblower. Our driveway is about 450ft with the first 100' from the house being concrete and then the balance asphalt to the road. About 4 years ago, we had 2 sisters build new homes about a mile from us and during the fall they approached us to ask if we would do their driveway as well (it too is a combination of concrete and asphalt). Then 3 years ago, we gained another neighbor who has a traffic bond driveway and asked since we were over at the sisters, if we would do their drive also. I give credit to those with gravel drives and blowers. I found it very hard to clear snow effectively with a snowblower. Ideally, we'd love for the ground to be frozen before the snow came but I don't have that kind of luck and as jgayman has posted elsewhere, these current shoes do not do well staying on top/riding over this type of surface.

So I added a rear blade (60) to my arsenal and as I posted in BigSexy's thread prior, removed the cutting edge and instead a rubber piece of stall mat (60 x 6 x .75). I have found this works ok even when the ground is not frozen... I don't push the amount of stones I did with the steel cutting edge. I have found then what works best for me when clearing snow from our neighbor's drive with gravel is as you suggested... <4 inches use the blade. If the snow is more, I put the extra pair of shoes on the outside of the blower in the high position (D?), blow the snow first and then follow behind with the blade down at an angle.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Green Vehicle Asphalt

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh yeah first thing i did on my blower was upgrade the shoes, those stock shoes on the 59" blower are a joke!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Here in the far north..... Usually I can use my old 9/10 wore out 6' back blade for the first couple snows.. Much more than that and the back blade is overwhelmed.... I useally have a window of time to take off the blade and put on the 3pt snow blower after getting somewhat of a base to run the blower over..

Not this year... I should have put the blower on first thing.. This would have made everything much easier.. This year at least..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts