Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to pull JD baler down the interstate. Need some lights. Baler is 7 pin round, truck is 7 flat. Is there an adapter for this? Anyone know where I can get one fast? Anyone ever had this problem before?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
You sure the baler is up for interstate speeds? A lot of implement tires aren't rated to go much more than 25-30 MPH.

Quickest, easiest way to have lights would be to get a set of those magnetic tow lights from an auto parts store. If you want to use the baler lights, you might check with your dealer for an adapter. I haven't found one commercially available, but one could be wired up. It would take some time, though.

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
Yes, check those tires!

I have never seen 7-flat, only 4-flat. Can you post pictures? There are lots of adapters available at auto parts stores and even large Walmarts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll keep the speed down 40-45. The truck has a 7 pole flat; 6 flat in a circle and a center, pretty common. What is the law for pulling implements on highways? Where I live, we pull them with nothing; never a problem. This time I will have to go through Atlanta. I would trailer it, but I don't have anything to load with without taking something. Then I have to make 2 trips. I think if I had the flashers going I would be ok. Hard to believe there is no simple adapter for this, but I have look all over the net. I'll rig up something.

·
Administrator
20,968 Posts
I would buy a new connector for the implement and wire to the 7 flat pin round connector standard.

faq043_ss_500.jpg

The other connector you referenced is common in class 8 semis. You could make an adapter from parts from a truck stop or truck parts outfit.

31079d.JPG

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
What is the law for pulling implements on highways?
In TN, farm equipment is permitted on public roadways. However, all the interstates have signs on the on ramps that list items that are not allowed to be driven on the interstate. Among those items are tracked vehicles, motorized scooters, and farm equipment. Not sure how GA would treat it.

I wouldn't tow it with the flashers on, don't want to attract any more attention than necessary. I'd treat it like a trailer and just use my turn signals as needed. If you have the time, wiring up an adapter like DS described should work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to rig up something on the truck. I will want to hook to the tractor most of the time (7 round) . Other implements I have are 7 round, so then I can pull them with the truck. DS is always Full of good ideas. Today I will swing by the truck stop and see what they have in stock.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I located another baler similar to the one I had a few months ago and went and picked it up with my deckover trailer. It could only be pushed up my ramps so far because it's wheels don't ride centered with the tractor wheels. Seller's tractor but I suppose one could chock the trailer wheels and block the rear and use the tow vehicle to position the baler. From there it was two come alongs attached a few feet apart and blocks on both sides of the wheels. It took quite a while and I think I winched it farther than the length of the ramps. Outside of wheel to outside of wheel was virtually the 8 foot six inch limit without wide load stuff the way I understand. So I might suggest if you haven't already does the tongue of the baler move to such a position that it follows exactly centered behind the tow vehicle?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sir. I will try that; sounds much better than dragging it down the highway. Maybe use a small bank to get the ramps even with the trailer bed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts