Green Tractor Talk banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I cut the slot for the shackle mounts by drilling a hole at each end of the slot and connecting them with my plasma cutter. It can pierce 3/8th, but it's cleaner and easier on my consumables to drill a starting hole like that.

The second question, I'm not quite clear on what you're asking, since it kind of has two top hooks. The answer is the same for both I suppose, I cut a tight fitting piece of 3" flat bar for both sides. Pushed it into the tube to a spot I liked and set the welder on "kill" and zapped them in. They're only welded on the one side I could reach of the flat bar, but 6 inches of total weld (3" each end) and no problems.
Perfect, thanks :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I think I got it out of a four wheeling magazine...in the 90's? Been using it ever since. Laundry soap jugs work for longer or larger chains. Drill some drain holes in the bottom, too. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
94D1AFC7-74AE-4B35-8187-E7C327349DF6.jpeg

Milk crates rule!

I’ve very much enjoyed your build and appreciate you putting in the time to document it and let everyone tag along. Very well built implement, and presentation was right out of a how it’s made episode. I read every page of this thread and am looking forward to using some of your ideas for some projects I have planned. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m sure it will help more people than you think

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m sure it will help more people than you think
Dad just restored a IH 454 with a loader. He said to me earlier I should have you build a ballast box for it.

Thought I better make sure you hadn’t grown tired of this one yet.:laugh:

I will put it on the list of things to do in the future. We will see what happens but take an copying I do as flattery.:good2:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Great job on the build :bigthumb:

You got me thinking now.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
How's the scale holding up? Been thinking about one. Are they known to be pretty accurate?
It's holding up fine, I keep the batteries out of it unless it's in use. As far as accuracy, it's a bit hard to say because I haven't checked it against a known weight. It's repeatable, which is a good sign. But I haven't tried anything like a bunch of concrete sacks or anything.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
How's the scale holding up? Been thinking about one. Are they known to be pretty accurate?
It's holding up fine, I keep the batteries out of it unless it's in use. As far as accuracy, it's a bit hard to say because I haven't checked it against a known weight. It's repeatable, which is a good sign. But I haven't tried anything like a bunch of concrete sacks or anything.
Mine I have kept the batteries in but that is a good idea. My response would be the same. I do know on a couple build when I added something that was a known weight that is what it increased by.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts