Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using tractor to assist putting boat docks in. Kubota BX wasn't big enough. 2038R is great, but it sinks in the lawn, especially in the spring when the snowmelt is keeping lawn soggy. What thickness plywood will support the weight of a ballasted 2038R with loader on soft ground ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
What are you looking at, 3500 lbs with ballast? and loader? I'd want at least 2 layers of 3/4" and that would be pushing it. Do you have any hardwood planks? Can you simply wait until things dry out a little? Good luck. Take pictures, we love pictures. :cheers:

·
Registered
715 Posts
All you need is something that won't crack under the weight while it flexes. There is no need to spread the weight over the entire sheet, only over a somewhat larger area than the tire contact patch.

Drive over of couple of pieces on a lawn. The thinnest that doesn't crack is your choice. My guess is that 1/2 sheathing will do the trick.

Al

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
Plywood is a poor choice in my opinion. Not only will you need at least 3/4” - even if it doesn’t crack it will absorb the moisture in the wet ground. And if any hills are involved it will be slippery.

If I had to buy something to do this I would buy stall mats. They won’t crack (are flexible), won’t absorb moisture, and won’t be slippery. When done with the project the mats will be fine and have many other uses.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat?cm_vc=-10005

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have plywood just for tasks like this. It's a lot of work and still makes a mess but it's better than ruts. All I have is 1/2" ply and its held up to my trucks, tractors, and trailers. When I'm doing a remodel to a property the last thing I want to do is create additional work by rutting things up trying to get materials into a house or the scrap/debris out.

I would say this question varies by region and just how soft the ground is for you personally.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
We were putting in a sidewalk at the other house last year and used both 1/2” & 3/4”. We were just driving over the half and it was fine but if you’re putting a load on it the three-quarter would be better. When we were removing concrete and running the bigger skid loader over at that weighs about 5000 pounds with a bucket full I did screw 3 or 4 2 x 4’s Lengthways to the bottom of it because we were dropping about a foot into the hole. I could drive past the tipping point drive going in and come out with a load and it did not break. In your case if you’re putting a load on it pull you may need to put 2 x 4 cleats on the bottom of it or some type of anchor so you just don’t spin the plywood out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I don't know what they cost (or are called) but there are special-made composite treaded sheets just for this. If I recall they are like 3 feet by 6 feet sections and can handle the weight of large trucks. I used them years ago with a log loading truck for wet lawns.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Yeah... when I first went to the site I saw $63 and thought "Oh.. that's not too bad considering the price of outdoor 3/4" plywood". But then I selected the 4x8 size and the price jumped to $226 AND the minimum order quantity is 4 AND that doesn't include shipping. Yikes.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yeah... when I first went to the site I saw $63 and thought "Oh.. that's not too bad considering the price of outdoor 3/4" plywood". But then I selected the 4x8 size and the price jumped to $226 AND the minimum order quantity is 4 AND that doesn't include shipping. Yikes.
Holy Moly...that is pricey. I suppose when you run a tree service, and can avoid $1000's in lawn damage they make sense...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah... there is a place near me that sells those track-mats. Pricey buggers. But they do rent them for $15 a day. I might try them once as a rental and see if they are that good.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This may not pan out, but I'd be curious to see how a 4x8 sheet of vinyl lattice might hold up. I had a couple of pieces on the ground by the wood shed in WV that really kept the ground from rutting with light traffic. Grass grew through it & eventually hid them from sight. I never put any serious weight across them till they were grown in, but they would handle a pickup at that point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts