Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a fun one for ya. My idea of a can crusher. It is pneumaticaly operated with about 125psi. Load the can in the top and dispenses it in a container below. Pretty simple, enjoy.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
That is VERY cool:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Now that's just showing off. I love it!

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Any more details on it Randy? I think I may copy it!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why crush em?
Crushing saves a lot of space. And this way is tons-o-fun.

Here that rig would cost me big bucks...every can crushed would set me back 5 cents...:empathy3:
Well, the air cylinder and valve I salvaged from work. The collection container is a plastic diaper pail with a hole cut in the lid. I fabricated the mounting bracket, end plates, tie rods, and the staging cylinder. And I already had the air supply.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any more details on it Randy? I think I may copy it!
Sure Kenny, what would you like to know? I kinda explained some of it in my reply to Dave. The staging cylinder is made from pvc pipe. Do ya need more pics?

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Sure Kenny, what would you like to know? I kinda explained some of it in my reply to Dave. The staging cylinder is made from pvc pipe. Do ya need more pics?
No more pics-I saw all I needed. I guess the main question is the bore/stroke of the cylinder? I was looking on eBay at 6" and 8" stroke cylinders, I guess I am unsure of the bore size needed to produce enough crushing force?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No more pics-I saw all I needed. I guess the main question is the bore/stroke of the cylinder? I was looking on eBay at 6" and 8" stroke cylinders, I guess I am unsure of the bore size needed to produce enough crushing force?
I am taking a guess from memory, but I think it is a 2.00" bore x 6.00" stroke with 125psi. It needs all it has if the can is not pre-dented. You may want to consider a 2.50" bore. I will confirm my data the next time I pass by it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Crushing saves a lot of space. And this way is tons-o-fun.
No kidding about the fun part!
Here in ME we have to pay a 5 cent deposit per each container...get our 5 cents back when we return them....thats why it would "Cost" me money!
The only containers with no deposit are Cardboard or Milk products...

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My neighbor crushes all of his cans and sells them for scrap aluminum. Claims they pay more per lb when crushed and he gets enough to pay his hunting and fishing licenses for the year :unknown:
Yep, recycling, no fees here yet.

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
I am taking a guess from memory, but I think it is a 2.00" bore x 6.00" stroke with 125psi. It needs all it has if the can is not pre-dented. You may want to consider a 2.50" bore. I will confirm my data the next time I pass by it.
Perfect, Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kenny,
I have confirmed the specifications as I stated above. It is a 2.00" bore x 6.00" stroke cylinder. I happen to have aquired it for nothing. But if I were starting over I would jump up to the 2.50" bore. Also, I have flow controls on both ports for a smoother operation.

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Kenny,
I have confirmed the specifications as I stated above. It is a 2.00" bore x 6.00" stroke cylinder. I happen to have aquired it for nothing. But if I were starting over I would jump up to the 2.50" bore. Also, I have flow controls on both ports for a smoother operation.
Thanks Randy. I have been looking on eBay for a cylinder and valve...no luck yet.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts