Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading into my third winter with the 1026 I decided I had enough of tarping and un-tarping. I wanted something simple like a lean to off the end of my shop, not enclosed but just a shelter from the rain and snow. The project has experienced what we call "scope creep". But I thought that while I was at it I might as well take up some more space. I also have a hobby of rebuilding vintage travel trailers and need a tall shelter for that. So this is what is evolving out by my shop:

This is the back side of the shop, the centre piece and the lean to on the right are what make up my woodworking shop. The lean to on the left is where I store my welder and "stuff", too much stuff. Mrs. Carvel insisted I follow the roof lines of the existing rather than make another lean to, which is good because the centre section is where I can work on trailers and lift the roof skin up to the rafters.

IMG_4112.jpg

So I picked up a load of 4x6 posts.

IMG_4114.jpg

Using my PHD with a 12" auger I punched the holes as deep as I could bury it, about 42".

IMG_4116.jpg

Braced up the posts for the concrete pour. Actually poured these in three sessions in the evenings.

IMG_4121.jpg

Fired up the batch plant.

IMG_4125.jpg
IMG_4128.jpg

Posts all set. The tractor will sit on the left, the centre section is my trailer area, and the area on the right will get partially closed in to store "stuff".

IMG_4153.jpg

Back from the lumber yard with framing material for the roof.

IMG_4161.jpg

I used a laser level to shoot the elevations for cutting the posts. I got the first two beams in, I couldn't do it without that scaffold.

IMG_4163.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg

So that's the beginnings of a lot of work, (Mrs. Carvel won't appreciate being in this shot. She is so excited for me but I think she knows this will give her leverage on the sunroom on the house that is next year's project.)

IMG_4194.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the rafters up for the tractor bay, I have to say the Little Green Girl looks cozy in there. All the beams are in place and the rafters for the right side are cut and ready to go up. I sure am hoping the snow holds off for another month.

uploadfromtaptalk1412547260764.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412547284279.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very nice. The lil' Deere will be warm and dry all winter. Would like to build a little pole barn/shed some year soon myself.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Looking good Carvel Loafer. You doing all the work yourself?

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good Carvel Loafer. You doing all the work yourself?
Yes, but Mrs. Carvel helps me a little with measuring, lining up the plumb bob, finishing the concrete. For the beams and rafters I'm on my own though, it's basically a stick at a time up and down the scaffold. I don't even hurt this morning either, I'm surprised.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Yes, but Mrs. Carvel helps me a little with measuring, lining up the plumb bob, finishing the concrete. For the beams and rafters I'm on my own though, it's basically a stick at a time up and down the scaffold. I don't even hurt this morning either, I'm surprised.
Life is good!

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it doesn't look like much progress, but I did get away for Thanksgiving for a few days so that's my excuse.

I got the other side of the common rafters up, laid out the truss for the centre section and got one truss built and up. I also got all the gussets cut for the rest of the trusses.

The hardest part of all this is trying to line up to the old barn that is so crooked. The building is leaning about 3 inches to the left and about 6 inches toward the front. All that considered, the truss lines up great. I think I have the rest of it figured out too, so I should be able to order sheet metal soon.

Third load of lumber, this is for the purlins.

IMG_4233.jpg

After getting the layout figured out I got one truss built, there is just enough room to assemble these on this piece of floor.

IMG_4237.jpg

They aren't too heavy to lift by myself but I think for the rest I will tie off the scaffold to the beam, I just feel real top heavy as I hoisted this up.

IMG_4238.jpg
IMG_4240.jpg

I have to get back to work tomorrow but hopefully I can get the trusses up this weekend, the weather is certainly in my favour in spite of the rain this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Not sure exactly how you got the truss up but maybe it would be easer to get up on the beams upside down and then flip it.

Looking good BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Looks like it's coming along nicely! :good2: ~~ Lowell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Well it doesn't look like much progress, but I did get away for Thanksgiving for a few days so that's my excuse.

I got the other side of the common rafters up, laid out the truss for the centre section and got one truss built and up. I also got all the gussets cut for the rest of the trusses.

The hardest part of all this is trying to line up to the old barn that is so crooked. The building is leaning about 3 inches to the left and about 6 inches toward the front. All that considered, the truss lines up great. I think I have the rest of it figured out too, so I should be able to order sheet metal soon.

The hidden challenges are always a problem with additions.
Making your own trusses!...................:thumbup1gif:
Looking GOOD!

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sure am blessed with good weather to work on this shed, I'm hoping it holds out a few more weeks. Here is the weekend's activity:

Finished cutting all the pieces for the trusses.

IMG_4249.jpg
IMG_4250.jpg

Got them all assembled.

IMG_4254.jpg

Lifting the trusses was easier than I thought, I just slid them onto the lower roof then pulled them up from the scaffold.

IMG_4255.jpg
IMG_4258.jpg

Cutting the tails off.

IMG_4269.jpg IMG_4271.jpg

I got some of the fascia on as well. The fascia over the wood shed piece has to be 2x12 so I can level out the roof, you can see how out of level the original roof is.

IMG_4276.jpg
IMG_4283.jpg
IMG_4292.jpg

I really don't have the legs for this any more, I hate to admit it.

IMG_4296.jpg

It's looking half decent so far I think, not perfect but it is going to serve its purpose. I have to get the rest of the fascia on and the the ridge strapping then I can measure the lengths for the steel. With trying to straighten out the appearance of the original building I'm nervous to order the steel until it is somewhat framed up.

IMG_4306.jpg

Now if only I had a hot tub to sink into, that would make it a perfect day. But someone promised me a massage so I better get off this computer before the offer passes, :laugh:.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
Looking really good Carvel. I see that all your trees are bare too. Another job just waiting on you. :thumbup1gif: :nunu: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes Levi, the wind over the last week stripped the remaining leaves. I never pick them up in the fall though, I just mow with a grass catcher in the spring and pile it on the compost. Also the deer like the leaves in the winter, they dig down to the grass and have a feast just outside the back window.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
I don't do anything with my leaves either except mow them. I do have to rake the pine needles though. Did that today and burned them. Tomorrow I'll mow all the high spots and the mowing will be done for this year. :laugh::yahoo:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I came home early to work on the pole shed and this young fella came around the corner. He's about 20 feet from me enjoying the apple tree. He's not scared of me at all. uploadfromtaptalk1413929774195.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the fascias all put on and now have confirmed metal lengths and flashing requirements. I also got the strapping nailed on over the section where the tractor will sit. I plan on strapping just the new section, install the metal over that, then if I get enough dry weather I will start to frame in the old roof area. That old roof area is going to be a real challenge to make it looks straight.

IMG_4311.jpg IMG_4319.jpg
IMG_4321.jpg IMG_4325.jpg
IMG_4329.jpg

I won't be working on it today and snow in the forecast for tomorrow, but hopefully it misses us.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Still lookin' good!!! :good2: :good2: :good2:

Always good to see a sizable project coming along! ~~ Lowell

1 - 20 of 79 Posts