Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you guys use and what works good to polish the plastic hood/bumper on our John Deere lawn/garden tractors? To get them all shiny and looking good.

Also wondering how many of you have powder coated parts like say the mower deck? Seems that would be a good way stop rust from forming?

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Wax and polish a tractor...hell I don't do that to my cars except when I run them through the touchless automated car wash. :laugh:

I powder coat the parts to my tractor modifications; but I doubt if powder coating is going to be any better than paint on mower decks as it's hell under there while mowing.

I've had some ideas for making a clog resistant mower deck; but I don't have the equipment or money to make a prototype.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can typically use anything you would polish metal with to polish the fiberglass hoods.
I use a buffing compound from time to time called "Flitz". Then after you get it buffed out put on a couple coats of wax to keep the dirt from sticking.
Here are a couple before/after pictures of what the Flitz can do.No wax in the pictures yet.

Also powder coating is an excellent idea.That is what Deere has used for quite some time now.
Just keep in mind fiberglass and plastic can't be powder coated with the typical method.

AJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I like Flitz to polish plastic. I've used it on polycarbonate headlights that have fogged over.

As for the deck, I don't think there is much that is going to last on the bottom of the deck. The cellulose fibers in plants are quite abrasive. Add the fact that most of try to cut the grass when it is dry. Now we are sucking up dirt, sand and dust which is like sand blasting. I'm sure there is a coating that can stand up to the punishment but I bet grass would cling to it like nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Here is the on-line Deere operator's manual section about cleaning plastic bodywork on the more recent tractors like my x495 and x304.
Text Font Line Number

The newer plastic is much more prone to scratching than a painted fiberglass hood in my experience...

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
7,087 Posts
Water - straight outta the garden hose. Does a pretty good job. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
I've used pledge (unscented) on our snowmobiles for years.

Reactions: arlen

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've used pledge (unscented) on our snowmobiles for years.
^^this.. my atv owners manual actually recommends using a house hold spray on furniture polish on the painted plastics.. works on everything for a quick buff and shine..

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
^^this.. my atv owners manual actually recommends using a house hold spray on furniture polish on the painted plastics.. works on everything for a quick buff and shine..
Just don't get any on the seat. I've heard. :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Best stuff for plastic...ever, and period.

Cleans, and polishes with no abrasives.
Spiffs up painted and powder coated bits as well.
Mirrors, clear plastic gauges, glass.
Gets bug guts off of paint and plastic, as well as Mineral spirits does.

Spiffs up and cleans seats, without making them slippery.
Works darn well on leather too. We keep a can under the sink just for the furniture, as it works better than dedicated leather cleaning products.

I hate Honda. Always have.
They do some things better than anyone else though, and the spray cleaner and polish is one of them.

The stuff even smells good...and it's CHEAP!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Plexus is just a shade better than the Honda stuff in some cases. I have and use both. Plexus is pretty expensive so it's hard to not go with the Honda stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best stuff for plastic...ever, and period.

Cleans, and polishes with no abrasives.
Spiffs up painted and powder coated bits as well.
Mirrors, clear plastic gauges, glass.
Gets bug guts off of paint and plastic, as well as Mineral spirits does.
Well, I hope you're still living on this earth with me! Just wanted to thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Asphalt
Before
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

After.
Makita 7” buffer, 3m compound, 3m polish, 3m hand glaze. No sanding

I was wondering what you guys use and what works good to polish the plastic hood/bumper on our John Deere lawn/garden tractors? To get them all shiny and looking good.

Also wondering how many of you have powder coated parts like say the mower deck? Seems that would be a good way stop rust from forming?
Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Asphalt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.