Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does this group have a Political Talk section?

There are plenty of other venues for Political Talk.

Rant off...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I joined not long ago after lurking for years. I used to enjoy seeing the friendship and joking,, and felt like I almost knew a lot of the frequent posters and respected them.

But man has this site turned ugly and hateful. Hopefully the admins will get their act together and turn this place back around.

I'm outa here for a while. I just cannot handle the bad things happening to GTT right now..

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
outside of the political posts what has you turned off? I find GTT friendly and very informative. politics have their place in most conversations and I guess that's why it's on GTT like a lot of other conversations not associated with john Deere tractors... You had to use a password before the new version took place and I believe it should go back to that for those who don't want or like it.. but that's just my respectful opinion.

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
We are working with the ownership now to get the political, hunting/fishing/gun, and money forums hidden from general view again. They will be "opt-in" as they were before the software format change.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Probly should go back to password /opt in protected.

On the other hand it IS a discussion forum...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I joined not long ago after lurking for years. I used to enjoy seeing the friendship and joking,, and felt like I almost knew a lot of the frequent posters and respected them.

But man has this site turned ugly and hateful. Hopefully the admins will get their act together and turn this place back around.

I'm outa here for a while. I just cannot handle the bad things happening to GTT right now..
I dropped out of visiting regularly last fall because I felt kinda the same way then. And for me it wasn't just the political forum, some of the posts for what may have been stupid questions or not on some of the tractor forums (not my questions, though I have my share of stupid questions 😆) were met with what felt like everyone piling on (and some big names on here, not just random new people) and belittling the poster. It was not a huge number of posts, in fact just a handful, but it was in stark contrast to what I saw when I first got here, a positive friendly community.

I came back after the new site was rolled out, and I'm sticking around... but it definitely does not feel like what it once was IMHO. I hope that will change over time.

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
...were met with what felt like everyone piling on (and some big names on here, not just random new people) and belittling the poster.
That statement bothers me a lot Oscar, I've never seen any new poster/member get belittled here or not get help-maybe it's not a magic answer they were seeking but help nonetheless.

If you or any member sees that, I'd hope it would get reported to the staff so we could address it. We can't attempt tp fix something we don't know about.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I frequent a couple other enthusiasts forums. One does not allow ANY political discussion, and it has almost zero activity. I can check in once a week and in a few minutes I'm caught up.
I enjoy reading others opinions, whether I agree or not. The nature of strong disagreement naturally brings out more intense verbiage. One must remember that it's not personal it's politics.
And just like tv, sometimes I don't like what's on so I change the channel.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
I frequent a couple other enthusiasts forums. One does not allow ANY political discussion, and it has almost zero activity. I can check in once a week and in a few minutes I'm caught up.
I enjoy reading others opinions, whether I agree or not. The nature of strong disagreement naturally brings out more intense verbiage. One must remember that it's not personal it's politics.
And just like tv, sometimes I don't like what's on so I change the channel.
Same here. I'll like a post even if I totally disagree with the writings.
I thank you for your post. (y)

·
Registered
4,986 Posts

????

I'm not sure what you are referring to. I haven't visited the political pages for a while but what threads I've been on really aren't hateful or mean spirited although there was some grumbling about the new site. (Everybody wants some of the old features back with the new stability and the best of the new features.)

Might have to drop in on the political threads and see what I've been missing.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I think to have to use a pass word to get to some threads is a bit over kill. If one doesn’t want to see post about politics or guns don’t open them. I only read the threads that interest me, probably less than half off whats here. Seeing that I have a 1026r , I really only pay close attention to the sub compact tractors. Don’t care about the garden tractors, or larger tractors. Maybe those forums should be password protectEd so I don’t have to waist my time reading about a tractor I can’t afford And will never own.

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
You can uncheck the box for "adult content" and that will turn off all of what used to be password protected threads.

However, I like to see what is going on in the Hunting/Fishing thread, but to do so, I have to filter through the political stuff and every now and then I get sucked into a rabbit hole. It is kinda like a "wet paint" sign, sometimes you just can't help yourself.....

It would be nice if we could individually select which protected threads we want to see. Doesn't have to be password protected, a check box is good enough.

I have also suggested that it would be nice to be able to "Ignore" a thread, much like you can "follow" a thread. This way if you find a thread you really don't care to see again, you just click the button and poof, its gone.

We really need to get back to picking on each other more.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Yeah, there used to be a lot of "picking on each other", you in particular. In fact when I first joined, I remember telling you that "I got your back". The "Giz" used to get a lot of flack, all in good fun, and we had a great time. I don't think I ever saw anyone get upset, just fun. This site has very little contentious exchanges that I have noticed, nothing like another site I can name, but...politics are politics. My biggest complaint is the friendly neighborly atmosphere left with the new format, and but for a couple threads in the "Off Topic" forum, it's like reading a Chinese menu.

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
Yeah, there used to be a lot of "picking on each other", you in particular. In fact when I first joined, I remember telling you that "I got your back".
You do realize that he is a sailor, and to them, "I got you back" has a whole different meaning...

Yeah, I agree that there has been some "snarkiness" in some threads and comments and I may be one of those at fault a time or two as well.

Not sure why, but I've tried to be a little better about some replies.

The smilies helped when you were poking fun at someone or being sarcastic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don’t think it needs to have password protection. People should be allowed to give their viewpoint without a secret handshake. Those who complain about the political forum don’t have to read it. Most conversations are the same things you overhear at a restaurant, bar or other public place. Don’t participate if you object to a thread.

What has happened that anyone believes they have to shut down others opinions that they don’t agree with?
The owners of the site have the right to kick anyone off who uses vulgar language, belittles other members or for any other reason they choose. I hope it doesn’t also become that they kick someone off because they disagree with their political opinion.

I think the New England Patriots are cheaters, should I be kicked off for that? Well they are!

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I don’t think it needs to have password protection. People should be allowed to give their viewpoint without a secret handshake. Those who complain about the political forum don’t have to read it. Most conversations are the same things you overhear at a restaurant, bar or other public place. Don’t participate if you object to a thread.

What has happened that anyone believes they have to shut down others opinions that they don’t agree with?
The owners of the site have the right to kick anyone off who uses vulgar language, belittles other members or for any other reason they choose. I hope it doesn’t also become that they kick someone off because they disagree with their political opinion.

I think the New England Patriots are cheaters, should I be kicked off for that? Well they are!
I agree. Most of us are adults and don't need to be led around by the nose; if we get a provocateur on here, the guys with the fuzz wuzzies can kick his ass off. Fine with me. My career was pretty much dealing with difference of opinion; no need to make it a pizz fight.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts