Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer took a tole on the pond dam. It finally gave way. Makes me sad. Pond pretty much empty now. Many great memories from here. Over last many years we've done gravel, concrete, earth. All to no avail. It inevitably fails. Maybe someday I can fix it for good for Dad.
Plant community Plant Mammal Bedrock Grass

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Dam it man! Somehow...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Soo sorry to hear & see that. Hopefully somehow you can get it fixed up.

Reactions: gdow

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be quite honest, part of the issue is I know I need bigger equipment, that I don't have the ability to get back there, and also truthfully I don't know how to fix it so that it'll hold for more than a couple years. Average repair to this point has lasted bout 3yrs.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
To be quite honest, part of the issue is I know I need bigger equipment, that I don't have the ability to get back there, and also truthfully I don't know how to fix it so that it'll hold for more than a couple years. Average repair to this point has lasted bout 3yrs.
The old Soil Conservation Service, now NRCS used to provide technical help in designing pond dams. Unfortunately, depending on the dam size that might also get you into a permit situation with not only NRCS but also the Army Corps of Engineers. There's a lower size limit for the permit and I think a dam height so if it's a small pond and low dam that might not be a problem.

Your other option is to get some beavers relocated into the area. No inspection or permits needed and they work for trees.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
12,673 Posts
Can you get your 1025/260B back there to both sides?

Since the dam has failed and you've lost most of the water, now is the time to do something.

First question I would have is how deep has the dam been? Is there a chance water is undermining it? That is what was happening to the upper pond dam / spillway on the property we bought.

The previous owner had built an earth dam and used a bunch of concrete & block debris. Water eventually worked its way through.

I started trying to patch that up but wasn't making any good progress. Last summer when it was dry and the water level was low I put in a temporary dam made with utility poles.

I bolted three sections together and dug them in to the banks. This has held so far.

Plant Wood Land lot Natural landscape Trunk Plant Water Wood Automotive tire Grass Plant Wood Land lot Water Grass

The next step will be to dig out behind it and put in a concrete dam with an adjustable spillway gate so that I can raise or lower the pond level.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you get your 1025/260B back there to both sides?

Since the dam has failed and you've lost most of the water, now is the time to do something.

First question I would have is how deep has the dam been? Is there a chance water is undermining it? That is what was happening to the upper pond dam / spillway on the property we bought.

I cannot get to both sides, only the left side beside the house. I believe that is exactly what happens, water gets under the dam and washes it out from the bottom up.

does the pond have an overflow chute?
Yes off to one side it does have one.

·
Premium Member
12,673 Posts
I cannot get to both sides, only the left side beside the house. I believe that is exactly what happens, water gets under the dam and washes it out from the bottom up.
Then come up with a plan to work from that side.

Build a check dam with what you have to stop the flow.

Dig out as much as you can behind the check dam. Back fill it with something you can compact and then move across that to get to the next section.

Start with a drain pipe as far out as you can reach. Set the pipe, fill and compact to that, then more across that, dig, fill, move till you get to the other side.

Reactions: ttazzman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts