Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1025r about a year now and at the beginning of the summer season I added a mulching kit to my 54" mowing deck. Once I added the mulching parts I noticed that after I make a pass there are often blades of grass that go uncut in the middle of the pass. At first I thought it was just me so I adjusted height, mowing speeds, RPM, and everything else I could think of to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. Yesterday I mowed and I was again frustrated by grass seemingly in the middle of the deck not being cut. I was mowing at walking speed at the recommended PTO RPM and still had issues.

When I installed the mulching kit I didn't notice any problems putting anything on. I had the issue most run into with the bolts not biting into the plastic shroud very well but I was able to work around it and get everything tight.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on or what I should check?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is it possible to accidentally flip a blade around on these decks? I don't remember how it interfaces with the bolt and spindle. Point is, check the easy stuff.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure what the issue could be but my 54D with mulching kit mows great and no row in the middle like you describe. I had mine installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Is it possible to accidentally flip a blade around on these decks? I don't remember how it interfaces with the bolt and spindle. Point is, check the easy stuff.

It's very easy to install the blade upside down........

Correct... with cutting edge on right side of blade for clockwise rotation....

DSCF7514.JPG

Incorrect... upside down. ... cutting edge on back side of blade, blunt edge won't cut much grass....

DSCF7515.JPG

The above blade is a J-D #M145516 mulching blade as included with the J-D mulching kit.

FYI, I have no issues with uncut grass with my J-D kit .... ?

OP, make sure the center blade is oriented correctly. Bevel side up

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've had my 1025r about a year now and at the beginning of the summer season I added a mulching kit to my 54" mowing deck. Once I added the mulching parts I noticed that after I make a pass there are often blades of grass that go uncut in the middle of the pass. At first I thought it was just me so I adjusted height, mowing speeds, RPM, and everything else I could think of to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. Yesterday I mowed and I was again frustrated by grass seemingly in the middle of the deck not being cut. I was mowing at walking speed at the recommended PTO RPM and still had issues.

When I installed the mulching kit I didn't notice any problems putting anything on. I had the issue most run into with the bolts not biting into the plastic shroud very well but I was able to work around it and get everything tight.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on or what I should check?

If the center blade is correctly installed, all I can add is go slow, at max RPM, on a dry lawn. Remember to cut more often, and don't expect perfect cuts when taking off lots of over grown grass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure I installed the blades correctly and I re-checked them when I threw a belt a few weeks ago because of a sweetgum ball on the deck (I hate those trees) but I will have another look.

Does anyone run the original blades with the mulching plug in place? What about aftermarket Gator blades?

This is what I used to get without the mulcher. The lawn isn't nearly that thick now after the summer heat.

Cutting by willtel, on Flickr

Grass by willtel, on Flickr

·
Registered
747 Posts
Beautiful looking place you got there...

If you're cutting off that much at one time, I can see why it's not cutting very cleanly. Cutting off that much lush, thick grass with any mower equipped with a mulching kit is asking a lot of it!! Even my push mower will make a mess if asked to cut that much in one pass. Without the mulching kit the cut grass has a place to go as you cut it. Adding the kit requires you to view cutting your lawn differently... as in more often, so the amount cut off at one time is less... if you want it to work right!

Try cutting that much off in a few passes. Raise the deck a a few clicks, cut once, then lower the deck to the final height and cut again.

Good luck, and nice lawn!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish the lawn still looked like that, the hot summer pretty much killed it. The picture above was after a week of vacation in the spring and I was unable to cut it for about 9 days, I don't let it get that long if I can help it.

·
Registered
502 Posts

View attachment 241506

Incorrect... upside down. ... cutting edge on back side of blade, blunt edge won't cut much grass....

View attachment 241514

The above blade is a J-D #M145516 mulching blade as included with the J-D mulching kit.

Is that the correct blade? I just installed mine last weekend and your look different. I will me up there next weekend Oct1. I'll take some pictures for you.

·
Registered
502 Posts

View attachment 241506

View attachment 241514

Is that the correct blade? I just installed mine last weekend and your look different. I will me up there next weekend Oct1. I'll take some pictures for you.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Arvada, Yes, that is one of the original blades that came with my J-D mulching kit. I mangled one a few weeks ago and ordered another set of the same part #. Both the 3 original mulching blades blades and the 3 in the replacement set are stamped with the M145516 number.

J-D mulching blade for 54" deck with J-D mulching kit......

DSCF7519.JPG

DSCF7518.JPG

Original, side discharge blades from 54" deck....

DSCF7517.JPG

DSCF7516.JPG

·
Registered
502 Posts
I gotta agree with ErikR. There was an area of my lawn that was as thick as yours and it left some piles there. But going over it again took care of it. The rest of my lawn was mulched perfectly. I had to get on my hands and knees to find the clippings.

So it seems that since you lawn was so high a couple of passes should do the trick. Beats raking !!! Any day.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bigthumbup.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts