Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yea, yea, just could not help myself. Decided to try the Mammoet, many wheels, concept. Harbor freight is running a sale on 18 x 12 inch 1000 lb. hardwood dollies for 7.99. Picked up four. The center of gravity of the 485 backhoe (12 inch bucket) near the boom pivot point. A scrap piece of 36 x 36 inch 3/4 plywood serves as the base, two dollies under stabilizers, long ways. The other two in front, centered. I figured, 1000 lbs. times four is 4000 lbs or 250 lbs per wheel (16 wheels). The 485 weights a little under 1500 lbs. So under 95 lbs per wheel. It's surprisingly stable, but you have to give a serious push when moving it.

Had a second 36 x 36 3/4 plywood to double up the 1st but was not sure the stand would be low enough to demount. Note the wood stack up under the boom. The backhoe really wants to be level when demounting and without the 'shim' there's too much tilt to get unhooked properly.

I also really need to paint an arrow with a sharpie on the drain fitting. Spent 20 mins trying to get it to separate only to unbolt it and realize, D'hh. The other way doofus, it pops right off...

Total cost, $32 dollars plus some wood scraps. :)

Registered
Looks like it works good ...time will tell...

Would like to mention in my opinion it's not a poor man's stand...but a rich man's stand as since you didn't use a lot of funds but instead your ingenuity to address a problem successfully you now have more funds to use elsewhere...so your rich... 馃榾

Registered
Yep, a couple HF steel car dolly's and some scrap wood support my 447BH as well, I was to lazy to build a real one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to also say it was a dream reattaching the 3pt hitch arms. I also impulse bought the Harbor Freight Pneumatic Roller Seat ( Pneumatic Roller Seat ) for $28 dollars. No more laying in the dirt wrestling with arms and pins.

Have to figure out best way to fix the poor fit of the pneumatic cylinder into the base though. It's a tapered friction fit but the taper in the cylinder end does not fit the taper in the hole very well. So it wobbles a bit. First thought was to just weld it around the base but I'm sure I'd blow a hole in the cylinder. :) Maybe just cut a slot near the top of the base with angle grinder and squeeze it tight with an exhaust clamp. Or some filing action. Need to examine it closer to see how far off it is.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha, watched a few youtube videos on the Harbor Freight Pneumatic Roller Seat. Various "reviews" and fixes. First thing I noted was they all had the post wobble and not one person commented on it. lol. Did find out that the seat post is two parts. Outer steel cylinder and inner pneumatic guts. A slide clip on the bottom keeps the pneumatic guts from lifting out. Could disassemble it, stick the outer part and base in a 20 ton press and smash it in. :)

Nah, then I'd never get it out. I bet heat from the welds on tapered sleeve pushed out the metal a little to mess up the tapered fit and it just needs some filing action. Sounds like a job for the retro Atlas Power King #4011 18 inch jig saw my neighbor gave me. It can also take short 1/8 or 1/4 inch shaft files and they just came in. Of course, first have to finish remounting it to a new table, rewire the death trap cabling/switch on the motor, then it's die filler time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts