Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with these to supplement central unit? Our bedroom is farthest from the system and gets warm and stuffy at night.

We picked up a name brand 8000 btu window unit yesterday. The temp sensor must be garbage. Had it set on auto and 71. Checked the temp in the room when I got up and it was 77 right in front of the unit. It's a wifi unit so I checked the app and it hadn't ran in about 5 hours. Turned it off and back on, with it set at 74 and it drove the temp down to 72 and never shut off.

Coworker has a portable unit from Lowes for the same purpose that they are happy with, idea being to raise the central temp and close the bedroom off with the portable unit to keep it cooler, maybe save a few $. Reviews are all over the place though, very inconsistent. Seems like QC with any appliance is hit or miss these days.

Anyone recommend a good brand or one to avoid? Window unit selection is very small for the btu we need due to narrow windows, so portable may be the way we need to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
What about one of the through wall mount units with its own compressor? Like this one

Blueridge BMKH30DM21G3 9W 9W 18W 30 000 BTU 2 5 Ton 21 SEER Three Zone Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump System

This unit has 3 zones with 3 separate exchange units and the stand alone compressor unit and they make them with 1 for much less money. We see these often used when someone adds on or changes the configuration of their house and it makes getting heat or A/C to the location a challenge.

My cardiologist installed a nuclear imaging machine in his office and he uses a single zone unit like the one I linked to cool the rooms where the nuclear testing takes place and it works real well. Very quiet and he claims very energy efficient, plus it doesn't tie up the window.......

It's a permanent install, but it also provides a permanent solution............It would probably take some of the load off your central A/C system.....

Also, we have a 6,000 BTU window unit for our bedroom as sometimes we don't want to run the entire A/C system just for our room. Our bedroom is about 550 sq foot with the bathroom and closets and the window unit does well when we run it. Our house has (2) 5 ton central A/C systems and (2) 110,000 BTU furnaces, one system for each floor and sometimes we don't want to run the system for the upper floor just to cool our room.....the unit we have was just some no major brand name unit from WalMart and it was only about $200 and it does the job when needed. Perhaps the unit you have just doesn't function right......I will say that when it is hot outside, the 6,000 btu unit rarely shuts off. But in those cases, we are usually running the entire upper floor unit instead...........

Here are some single zone systems instead at $600 to $900 and the operating costs for cooling make up the difference in the purchase price over time.....

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/products/12-000-btu-ductless-dc-inverter-mini-split-air-conditioner-heat-pump-230-vac?variant=14703001862186&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla7nBRDxARIsADll0kChBWd-PpF4xV2eM7eeYCCJszXxRa0tAvGhieu6jk2-9OOiSm67KF0aAm9EEALw_wcB

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
I also installed a 5 zone Split System Heat Pump. Easy to install if careful and read the instructions good. My Daughters big 3,000+sf shop is heated and cooled to the same temp year round. Super cheap to run 230vac/19 amps and lower as it is a Variable Freq Drive System. No problems yet after 3 years being on 24 hours a day. DSCF3548.JPG DSCF3550.JPG DSCF3551.JPG Biggest issue is the condensation off the unit in the winter! It can freeze up on the bottom so I put a heat tape inside the bottom and down inside a ABS 3" Drain Pipe. I extended the heat tape out the end and put a coil of it on the ground so the water would soak in and not turn to ice. Works better then I thought the first year I had a mess with ice pools!!

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
We have a portable that we used for a few weeks before relegating it to a back corner of the basement.

It has a... "bucket" that is supposed to collect water condensate. That leaked. We hooked up a hose to the drain which is supposed to bypass the bucket. It didn't bypass the bucket all the time so we still ended up with water on the floor. Finally ended up with it sitting in one of the concrete mixing tubs on a couple of cinder blocks. We'd dump the tub out every evening.

That got old in a hurry so we put in a split-mini system and haven't looked back. If you'd like our portable unit, swing on by. I'll wrestle it out of the basement for ya! :laugh:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have you always had this problem with the existing central unit or is this new?

Our bedroom is at the furthermost point from our package unit and it still cools fine as long as the system is working correctly. System has a slow leak and it's a R22 unit so planning to replace it soon. Have had to have it charged a couple of times in the last two years. Right now with 100* temps it's still working okay so far.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
My son used this in a crappy apartment for a year or so about 5 years ago. Then last year when our 30 year old central unit finally died we used it for a couple weeks in our home. It worked surprisingly well in our house.

It might have a catch pan for use as a dehumidifier but I don’t remember. It has a 4 or 5” flexible plastic duct that has a expanded piece that shuts in a window and in air condition mode exhausts the hot air and evaporated condensate if that is the proper term to the outside. I was impressed with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
My son used this in a crappy apartment for a year or so about 5 years ago. Then last year when our 30 year old central unit finally died we used it for a couple weeks in our home. It worked surprisingly well in our house.

It might have a catch pan for use as a dehumidifier but I don’t remember. It has a 4 or 5” flexible plastic duct that has a expanded piece that shuts in a window and in air condition mode exhausts the hot air and evaporated condensate if that is the proper term to the outside. I was impressed with it.

I have seen those in use for example in a one room office in a shop building and the ones i have seen functioned well.....problem i saw was most lasted less than a year of daily use and the common failure was dirty coils due to lack of filtration.....

in fact one of our john deere dealers service managers office in the shop has one .....but its a yearly replacement.....keeps it frosty though while working

probably could get a lot more life if they have added cleanable filters or rig up a filter for one

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey, something I actually know something about!
I have a few problems.
So my living room is as far as possible from my HVAC system, 1250 sq/ft of my 1850 sq/ft home was an addition, the living room has 17ft tall ceilings, there is no attic above the living room (no air gap like a typical set up), and my thermostat is in my bedroom.
This is a 12k btu model, it is 4 years old. I wake up in the morning I turn it on, after the night is done I shut it off. Probably runs 16-17 hours per day for 3 months set at 68°F.
Yes I have a pusher fan on the duct work, it "works" some.
I will be switching over to a mini split system in the near future, the largest downside to this style is that the compressor is sitting in the room with you. Doesn't bother me much, just turns into white noise. But if you pay attention to it, it's loud. This thing does somehow get hot, this was from when I put it away last year. Keep an eye on the filter. I now just use what could be explained as a fish tank type of mesh filter over the whole back vent panel.
No you do not need to empty a bucket or drain it, the moisture is evaporated and sent out the tube. IT KICKS ASS AS DEHUMIDIFIER.
There is an inherent issue to things of this style though. Same effect as a fireplace, just not as drastic. It creates a negative pressure effect in the house because it is exhausting hot air out full time. They do make dual hose models that use outside air for whatever magic this thing does. It is a strong little fella though, kept my entire house at 77°F on a 95°F 2 years ago when the main system opted to not work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,111 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses, and thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Mrs. CP has been bugging me for one of these for years. We have no ductwork in the house, heat is electric baseboard. Except for the bedrooms, all windows are casement crank outs. For some reason, I have been resistant to buy one of these and then fab up something for the casement window to let the hose vent through. We have window units in the three bedrooms, but sometimes the living areas get hot. I just go down to the basement family room for cooler air, but what do I know! This year she is getting an RV plug so she can run the A/C in the camper. Down the road, I’d like to replace the 30 year old Anderson casements with banks of double hung windows, and just buy a big window unit.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses, and thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Mrs. CP has been bugging me for one of these for years. We have no ductwork in the house, heat is electric baseboard. Except for the bedrooms, all windows are casement crank outs. For some reason, I have been resistant to buy one of these and then fab up something for the casement window to let the hose vent through. We have window units in the three bedrooms, but sometimes the living areas get hot. I just go down to the basement family room for cooler air, but what do I know! This year she is getting an RV plug so she can run the A/C in the camper. Down the road, I’d like to replace the 30 year old Anderson casements with banks of double hung windows, and just buy a big window unit.
I’ve been getting away with window units. Took some experimentation in different windows to get a decent balance.

My house is just not conducive for central A/C. While there is duct work for the furnace it would never work properly for A/C.

I have looked at the mini split units but the cost gets me. Our current window units are between 15 and 18 years old. Yeah, not the most efficient. However I did hook up a Kill-O-Watt to each of them and they really aren’t that bad compared to newer ones. I think it was 2 summers ago I had to run 2 units every day for a month. My electric bill was around $25 higher. $25 for the comfort received is well worth it to me. With my condition the excessive humidity just kills me.

If I need to replace the current ones I am talking about around maybe $700 - $800 for all 3. Far cry from the cost of a couple mini splits.

There was a time when we never needed A/C. But the last few years the humidity has become unbearable.

With casement windows I can see you have a real challenge. Replacement windows then window units will work well but a very costly venture. In your place I would try one of the portable units and fab up something for the window vent like you said. At least Mrs. CP might not have to camp out on the hot days then......

·
Registered
763 Posts
If I need to replace the current ones I am talking about around maybe $700 - $800 for all 3. Far cry from the cost of a couple mini splits..
fwiw.......a single mini-split outside unit can be sized to run multiple indoor units for a zoned system ....great for offices where men and women want different levels of cooling in each different office....or people that want different rooms cooled differently.

but initial cost wise they are not competitive with window units at all especially when talking single units.

·
Corndog Hater
11,111 Posts
I’ve been getting away with window units. Took some experimentation in different windows to get a decent balance.

My house is just not conducive for central A/C. While there is duct work for the furnace it would never work properly for A/C.

I have looked at the mini split units but the cost gets me. Our current window units are between 15 and 18 years old. Yeah, not the most efficient. However I did hook up a Kill-O-Watt to each of them and they really aren’t that bad compared to newer ones. I think it was 2 summers ago I had to run 2 units every day for a month. My electric bill was around $25 higher. $25 for the comfort received is well worth it to me. With my condition the excessive humidity just kills me.

If I need to replace the current ones I am talking about around maybe $700 - $800 for all 3. Far cry from the cost of a couple mini splits.

There was a time when we never needed A/C. But the last few years the humidity has become unbearable.

With casement windows I can see you have a real challenge. Replacement windows then window units will work well but a very costly venture. In your place I would try one of the portable units and fab up something for the window vent like you said. At least Mrs. CP might not have to camp out on the hot days then......
I had an estimate done last year for the mini splits. $7,000 to cool our bedroom, living room, and dining room. The way the house is laid out makes it difficult to get every room without being over $10,000. For the 7 grand, it “might” take the edge off in the kitchen. No thanks. I really feel that between the window units in the bedrooms, the cooler family room, and the ability to cool the camper, we’re good. There are generally only a few days each year where central A/C would be nice. And besides, Mrs. CP loves her camper.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts

Our house is all casement windows too. It sucks for this sort of thing. We ended up putting the portable AC is front of a sliding glass door and I fabbed up a sheet of plastic to use as a filler for around the exhaust hose. If we had double hung windows we probably would have just gone with window AC units but the selection for the units that fit is casement windows is pretty slim and they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
I had an estimate done last year for the mini splits. $7,000 to cool our bedroom, living room, and dining room. The way the house is laid out makes it difficult to get every room without being over $10,000. For the 7 grand, it “might” take the edge off in the kitchen. No thanks. I really feel that between the window units in the bedrooms, the cooler family room, and the ability to cool the camper, we’re good. There are generally only a few days each year where central A/C would be nice. And besides, Mrs. CP loves her camper.
I actually only cool 2 rooms. Our sitting room is the worst as it was a porch at one time. I don’t think it is insulated at all. It gets to be brutal in the afternoon on a sunny day.

The adjacent living stays cool naturally as it is on the north side and never gets any direct sun. But after experimentation I found I need to cool that room along with the sitting room. A 10k BTU in there and a 6K BTU in the sitting room and they both just purr along - compressors satisfying easily.

Our bedroom is upstairs. I found it is impossible to cool that as that is part of the original house which has no insulation at all. I tried to cool it with a 10K BTU unit and all it would do is freeze up after 4 or 5 hours. So I don’t even bother anymore. For the worst of nights I will turn it on when the sun goes down and it’s comfortable by bedtime. But normally when we go to bed the downstairs A/C units get turned off and I turn in the big window fan in exhaust. It pulls the hot air out while also pulling the A/C air up the stairs. By then it is usually cool enough outside to stay cool up there.

Quite a process living in this old house but finally found a combination that works.

Like your place - it just sounds as it was not designed to have A/C. Have to come up with a work around just as it seems you are doing.

·
Registered
763 Posts

there are plenty of places online to buy 1 room mini splits....in the 12k btu range for in the $600 range ...obviously if you cant do the install yourself that probably doubles the price ......but .....7-10k is over the top (but you probably had a challenging installation)

here is just one of many sites that market and sell mini-splits in that price range

Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioning (and Heating) Systems - Alpine Home Air Products

i am adding this information because your $ numbers might scare someone off that is considering a unit from even checking into pricing

thought i would also add....minisplits provide heat also and are usually more efficient that baseboard resistance heating

1 - 20 of 28 Posts