Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at portable generators between the 5,000 to 8,000 range. What are you running, and what did you try before you ended up with what you have?

And as always, this thread is useless without pics . . .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Looking at portable generators between the 5,000 to 8,000 range. What are you running, and what did you try before you ended up with what you have?

Give us a little more information. Like what are you going to use it for? I bought mine as backup power to my house. I back feed it from my garage to the house. It is electric start 5500W. I could have used more but it works in an emergency. My next one will be a diesel, this one is a gas unit. I bought it at HF many years ago and it has served me well over the past several years. The only problem I had with it, was the original battery it was shipped with was no good. I bought a large lawn mower battery and have a trickle charger hooked up to it all the time. never any problem starting it.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Of course I waited for a major power outage (like most peeps) before buying a generator. Well by then most places were out of them. Long story short is I found a Yamaha EF2600 watt for around $1,000. Was just trying to get by powering a single wide mobile home. Only had 2 electric heaters (not on high) and a small tv on line. The tv looked dim and when I turned on one light bulb it kicked the baker. Filled the 3 gallon tank right before bed. The unit still ran out of gas in the middle of the night. It did fire back up with one pull.

Eventually I got ahold of a Poulan Pro 6,600. This unit was enough to do the job. It always goes about 12 hours on 5 gallons of gas. With a 6 gallon tank I can at least make it through the night.
Eventually I got a twist lock hook up to my fuse box. After that I could just plug my trailer into the generator. This is the kind of hookup that you want. Running extension cords is a pita. After that everything inside works just like pole power. Just have to watch how many large loads you run at the same time.
The downside is I could not find one with electric start. It does usually start first pull.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Northern Tool, Northstar with Honda motor, 8500 watts, runs whole house, had it 5 years, no issues except had to replace battery....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Honda EU6500. Was purchased with dual intent, 1, to power the camper when not at a modern camp site. 2. Backup power for the house.
In the old house, it would run the AC/heat, most lights, 2 TVs, dishwasher, fridge, 2 deep freezers, with power to spare.
Just don't turn on the dryer! :lol:
Now we moved so I have to rewire for a genset hookup again...

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Honda EM7000is.
Powers the well, sewerage ejector pump, bunch of lights, a few TV's, fridge, heat, master bedroom and bath.

Had two Honda engine but no name genny prior that didn't last 20 hours. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I bought my first generator locally,, after a big storm.
Sams Club was sold out of generators,, but, they had a gas engine welder on the shelf.

I bought that welder,, and ran it a dozen years as a welder and generator. 4.5Kw.

After 2 upgrades,, I now have this,, 10Kw, and,, it can MIG weld,, too!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a Honda EB6500. I bought it 10+ years ago. Cleaned the carb once, change oil and add fuel. Oh yeah, had to buy one battery. Won't do that again. Very easy to pull start.

It does have a "jumper" cable inside the case by the windings. It's a grounded machine (was told it is really meant for contractors) and If I hook it up to my transfer switch, I must disconnect the "jumper" cable or else I will have a double neutral and it will trip the circuit breaker.

Lot's of power.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Right now I run a generac. Handles whole house pretty much. Spring natural gas is coming so I'm putting in permanent standby unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
A little bigger than you are looking for but this is the 10k unit i have..... and it has wheels so it must be portable, right?!

I picked it up off craigslist for $900 a few years ago. It only had two hours of maintenance runs on it by a older suburbanite couple that bought it after a two day power outage. Never lost power again after they bought it according to her. They were moving to FL and wanted rid of it. These type people make CL a good place to find stuff like this for a bargain if you aren't in a hurry.

I replaced the battery when i got it, put a tender on it about once a month and haven't had to replace it yet. Push button starting - i like!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I have this Duropower unit, but it has not been used for a while. 7500 watts. At my previous house, I had it set up with a generator transfer switch, so I could just start this one up and plug it in. It would run the whole house, except for the 220 volt items. I only have about 25 hours on it. Most of that was when I had one of those micro bursts that put a tree on the power line in my old neighborhood. I ran the generator for nearly 24 hours that time. This one is diesel and will run 36 hours at 50% load and 24 hours at 100% load with a 13 gal fuel tank. I previously had a 4K gas unit that would only run an hour on a tank of fuel. Pretty useless for a house. I keep a battery maintainer on it so it will always start. In checking their web site, apparently, they no longer sell generators. I have had it over 10 years.

Dave

generator.jpg

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just sayin', but that generator looks funny....

:lol:
That's funny , people say that about me too! I still function though , just not as good as I did 20 years ago. :laugh:

As far as a generator goes , I bought one from Rural King. They make them in the store , so no need to take it any where for repair , they do it all in house. It has a 7500 running watts. and 8500 surge with a 13 horse motor electric/pull start. I picked it up on sale before Christmas for $350.00. I have yet to hook it to the house but runs the camper fine. The run time is 10-14 hours depending on current draw. It is not the loudest one out their but you can talk over the hum without effort.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use a Champion 7200/9000 peak, it has electric start. Just finished using in a 4 day outage here, ice storm. Worked great, I am setting it up to connect to the house as soon as the electricians slow down. During the outage it ran my furnace,2 fridges a freezer TV,laptop, etc. Did not break a sweat. Get 10-12 hours on a tank of gas. Purchased at Costco a couple of years ago after a hurricane blew through here and 5 days with no power. Cannot remember what I paid for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,565 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Honda EU6500. Was purchased with dual intent, 1, to power the camper when not at a modern camp site. 2. Backup power for the house.
In the old house, it would run the AC/heat, most lights, 2 TVs, dishwasher, fridge, 2 deep freezers, with power to spare.
Just don't turn on the dryer! :lol:
Now we moved so I have to rewire for a genset hookup again...
My Pulan Pro 6600 ran my old Maytag dryer no problem. It's weird that a Honda with the same numbers would not.
Having it plugged directly into the fuse box solved a few problems. The heating system was propane but needed 120 volts to fire the burner and running the blower. Back feeding the heat tape outlet under the trailer was not enough to run it. Not to safe either.

Now that I moved into my girlfriend's house we need another plan. She has a twist lock outlet outside by the patio. It powered a large pool filter that is long gone (and not coming back). I plan on using it to back feed the panel.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I use a Champion 7200/9000 peak, it has electric start. Just finished using in a 4 day outage here, ice storm. Worked great, I am setting it up to connect to the house as soon as the electricians slow down. During the outage it ran my furnace,2 fridges a freezer TV,laptop, etc. Did not break a sweat. Get 10-12 hours on a tank of gas. Purchased at Costco a couple of years ago after a hurricane blew through here and 5 days with no power. Cannot remember what I paid for it.
I have one of those that is dual fuel. I have always run it on propane only so bad fuel and gummy carbs are not an issue. Can hook it up to propane tank for fuel that will last for months.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts