Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I type this I should change my name to flipper. We started looking at SCUT's a little after Christmas. Originally I just looked at John Deere. We have a local dealer in our community. I looked and was all set to order, filled out the credit app, and took my wife down to look at it before we signed on the dotted line. The unit we tested had the backhoe on it. Naturally I asked for pricing on that unit thinking that I might get a deal on a demo unit. I am getting a snowblower, 60" auto connect mower, FEL, and a tiller. I have wavered back and forth on the tiller but in talking with my wife she wants us to get the tiller. The package price for all the attachments and backhoe was $29,000. I told myself that was just getting too much for a tractor. My wife wasn't too happy that it was more than her car. :laugh:

That lead me to look at the Kubota's. A dealer that is in a neighboring community about 20 miles away. Same package deal for the bx25d was $25,500. Filled out the credit app and again was ready to order it. Something in the back of my head just wouldn't let me order it. So I delay and think and delay and think. Basically came to the conclusion that I really don't need the backhoe. Would it get used once in a great while, yes. Would I get my money out of it in the near future, I don't think so. We have almost 4 acres, mow about 2 1/2 and have about .75 acre of woods. I am building a 30 x 50 shed but will probably just get a buddies skid loader to excavate for that.

So today I chat with the John Deere Dealer and the Kubota Dealer. I am leaning towards the John Deere. I just like that the loader is easier to take off and the drive over deck seems easier than the Kubotas. One downfall for the Kubota is I want the option of adding a backhoe some day if I ever had the need. In my chats with the Kubota dealer he told me that the bx2370 and bx2670 can not have the backhoes added at a later date. The only way to get it is by ordering the bx25d.

My only concern with the John Deere is one of the reasons for this post. Does not being able to do 2 functions with the loader bother anybody? In my mind not being able to curl the bucket and lift the bucket at the same time seems awkward.

For the FEL, 60" quick attach mower, tiller, and snow blower is $23,000 before tax. Does that seem like a decent price?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have several larger utility tractors for our property in the country. One I have is a (don't laugh) Zeter 7711 with a loader. I do have a construction company with a very large dedicated loader. I bought my 1025 with the loader and backhoe for my house. It is perfect for maintaining our horse pastures and great for getting in and out of our small barn. I use the backhoe more than I thought I would too.

The single action hydraulics took a little getting used to for me. I still find myself trying to curl and raise at the same time once in a while. It has not posed any problems for me. It just takes a little getting used to it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"I am getting a snowblower, 60" auto connect mower, FEL, and a tiller. I have wavered back and forth on the tiller but in talking with my wife she wants us to get the tiller. The package price for all the attachments and backhoe was $29,000."

Yikes Man, jump on that right there or I'll come out there and do it and haul it back here! I couldn't come NEAR close to that price here last year. And that "single function" loader won't bother you at all, just enjoy being outside while the loader is coming up.:laugh: I can get double function out of mine, but I have to keep the RPM's over 2600 and be very precise on the lever. It just ain't that big a deal outside of a gravel mine.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Is a snowblower and tiller $8000?

How about getting an aftermarket tiller instead of the Deere? Local farm store here has a King Kutter 48" for $1400.

I bought my 1025r TLB with 60" auto connect deck and hydraulic lift for $20,900. Maybe get pricing from another dealer?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
First off, welcome to GTT Herschey.
Reading over Ultrapile's post I tend to agree with him. The JD2320 we have has sort of the same issue but is lessened by some degree with more RPMs, however it was a PITA to get used to.
After so many years of being able to curl while lifting or lowering, it became second nature for me and I was very disappointed in our new 2008 JD2320. Now after 6 years of owning the 2320, not at all. As a matter of fact I no longer think about it until a post pops up here reminding me of it. I don't to this day understand why it won't do it, it just doesn't. Would I buy the 2320 again if I had it to do over again, absolutely, without hesitation.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Im guessing since the 2520 has a slightly bigger pump is the reason it will curl and raise/drop at the same time. But...it aint super fast .

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
Im guessing since the 2520 has a slightly bigger pump is the reason it will curl and raise/drop at the same time. But...it aint super fast .
Sure, rub it in!:lol:
The 2320 will do it but same scenario, slow and you have to work at it. I also think it has to do the the joystick/controls/valves.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I notice it on my 1026R, but it doesn't bother me. What type of loader work are you doing? It's only a factor when you are looking to move material quickly. The only time it was annoying to me was when I was shoveling my drive after a snow. Now that I have a blade it's not a factor. Beings you want a snowblower it shouldn't bother you either. I'd bet money you love the tractor. I sort of wish I'd gotten the backhoe. If you look to finance I'd say go for it. Will cost you $5k or better to add later. You'll have to add Power Beyond and the subframe on your own dime.

The tiller can be had cheaper from TSC. Mine is also a heavier gear drive unit for $1,400. Way less than the JD unit. The JD unit nice, but I didn't think the matching paint was worth the extra $$$.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
709 Posts
I bought the TSC 4' tiller this past week for mine. That price is hard to beat. The PTO drive shaft is just a little too long for my 1025. I need to either cut it down or go with a quick hitch like the Imatch on the 3 point to extend out a little more. It may be just an excuse for me to buy the Imatch. The wife went for it though. Did you have the same issue with the drive shaft Mullett?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I did trim mine down. Check the iMatch before you buy it. My Harbor Freight wouldn't hook on the top. There was a bolt below the top link pin. If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I did trim mine down. Check the iMatch before you buy it. My Harbor Freight wouldn't hook on the top. There was a bolt below the top link pin. If I remember correctly.

I know the bolt. I was thinking that would be in the way for the IMatch. It looks easy to refit. I don't want to highjack the thread here. just a note, I was hoping with the quick refit on that bolt the tiller would be mounted further back on my 3 point allowing me not to cut down the shaft and maybe allow slightly more lift height for this and other implements.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Herschey :wgtt:

Sounds like a good price. Like some of the others have stated , look at TSC or other vendors for a tiller.. they all work the same, color has no affect.
My Bush Hog is RED works just fine on a green tractor and it came from the local MF dealer. Cheaper than TSC and Deere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First off thanks for the welcomes and all the responses.

A few of you brought up getting the tiller else where. I had the John Deere dealer price it out with the tiller and with out. After the discount and with tax the cost of the tiller is $2,110. If I get it from Tractor Supply I believe the total with tax is $1,477. A difference of $633. I will possibly look at that.

Many of you replied in response to my concerns about the single action loader. I am probably over thinking that one. In the winter the FEL will be used to move snow piles and in the summer it will be used to spread mulch and dump weeds from the garden.

Here is where I need some help from you guys as John Deere owners. My wife gives me the double edged sword response when I talk to her about it. She says to get what I like best since I will be using it more than her but also grumbles about the cost and just looks at the bottom dollar. I need some help on why we should get the Deere over the Kubota. I don't want any Kubota bashing. I talked with a good friend tonight who has had a John Deere lawn tractor for 16 years and he is just starting to think of trading it in. He has a buddy who owns a 300 series diesel that is 18 years old that is still going strong.

I did take the poster's advice who suggested contacting another dealer. That will be the 3rd JD dealer that I have contacted. The first dealer I contacted was about $1500 higher.

If I don't get the backhoe the John Deere is $4,735 more. If I get the backhoe the John Deere is $3,600 more than the Kubota. The backhoe unit is a demo unit that is in their store currently. Or is the Kubota pricing just that good?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have my JD 1025 and I have a good friend with a Kubota BX2350. I know when he is using the loader he almost always needs to use 4 wheel drive and with my 1025 I only need it under heavy loader work conditions. He already has liquid filled tires to help, I do not.

The JD sits better for me and feels more stable to me. I do prefer the JD control stick. The Kubota stick sits too high for me and is sometimes more in the way.

With the JD If you mow you cannot beat the easy drive on deck set up. I do not have a mowing deck. I do like the ease of removing the loader system and bucket though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi Herschey welcome to the forum. You may want to check how easy it is to install and remove the FEL. Also how easy is it to install and remove just the bucket on the FEL. The reason I ask is that Artillian is a vendor that makes a great set of forks that work great on the FEL. With the Deere it may take a whole 30 sec to switch from one to the other and back again. If you get the FEL you will find if you get the forks you will use them more than the bucket.

Doug

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
One of the main reasons I went with Deere over Kubota was the hydrostat cooler. Other manufacturers use a plastic fan mounted to the driveshaft to blow air over the rear axle. The hydro cooler out in front of the radiator is a much more efficient and safer design.

Another reason is dealer support. Not sure what it is like in your area but for me Deere is 10 minutes and Kubota is 40 minutes. There is only one Kubota dealer within 40 minutes, there are 4 with Deere.

And then the ergonomics. The Deere just fit better. Kubota was good Deere was just better. Of course you would probably get the same from a BX owner. So it comes down to what fits you best.

·
Administrator
20,695 Posts
Then there's the twin pedal hydrostat on the JD versus the horrible treadle peddle on the Kubota. I don't know about you, but my foot and ankle doesn't like that at all.....

You can add anything you like at anytime after the sale as well. Kubota? Do your research before buying. You may not be able to add a component after the sale due to the tractors configuration.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts