Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 John Deere 2038R, 2013 John Deere X750, 1994 John Deere 455
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible Low Voltage from ignition to starter 1994 John Deere 455.

Good Day Everyone,

Currently working on an issue with my 455. Instrument cluster is showing power, with dim lights. Green light on ignition board is showing power with dim light. I checked the battery with multimeter and it is showing 13 volts. When testing the voltage going from ignition switch to starter is it showing 3 volts. I am fairly inexperienced with how the electrical system works so I am not sure if that number should be a 12 coming to the starter. When the key is in the off position, the feed wire from the battery to the ignition, that terminal post shows 12 volts. I place the key into the on position and the same terminal post shows 3 volts then. Not sure if that voltage is supposed to be resisted down?

I took an Ohm reading of the ignition switch and that came to 7.

I appreciate any tips, tricks or knowledge anyone can share.

Thank You

Sincerely,

Rob Brenner

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Could be bad/weak/dying battery, bad battery cable, or a host of other problems! Start with the easy ones. Check battery voltage at battery posts with key "Off". Turn key to "Run" and check voltage at battery terminals. If voltage at battery terminals is 3, bad battery (most likely!). Take to auto parts store for load test. If voltage with key at "Run" at battery terminals is 13, and then 3 at starter terminal, bad battery cable. Bob

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You should have 12.6 or better at the starter IF you have clean connections on BOTH battery cables and you have a GOOD battery. People often forget to clean the ground cable at both ends and sometimes the positive battery will have corrosion under the insulation that will show 12+ volts when there is no load on the system and then when a load like the starter or head lights are turned on the voltage dropps to near nothing and 3 volts is near nothing.

·
Registered
2020 John Deere 2038R, 2013 John Deere X750, 1994 John Deere 455
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying. I did a recheck and found the issue. I took a reading of the battery terminals directly and it was 12. Then I touched the positive terminal, then the negative cable. Only 3 volts. So at that point I pulled the cables cleaned the terminals, and cable ends. I would not have guessed that as they looked clean no corrosion or anything. But that was it. I will be filing that in the memory bank. Just because it looks clean does not mean it is working properly. Thanks again!!!!

Rob Brenner

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
A mechanically clean connection is not necessarily a clean electrical connection! What looks good to human eyes may not be too good for them amps & volts! SCRAPE battery posts and battery terminal connectors and don't forget the opposite end where they connect! ANY grey color on posts or terminals is lead oxide and is an insulator. You want bright, shiny silver

Something else to file in your memory bank is that the positive cable is KNOWN to corrode underneath the insulation and is completely hidden from seeing/looking at!

About a month ago, I was mowing and the engine just shut down. I thought maybe battery died and grabbed my meter. With one lead on the neg post I barely touched the positive cable and it fell off of the battery terminal...terminal connector, not battery post! It was genuine JD wiring too cuz it was all green inside! Stripped insulation back, soaked in vinegar for a few hours, then baking soda and a final "rinse" with plain water. Tinned it, crimped on new connector, soldered, and back mowing! Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.