Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(If you also go to the "other" tractor forum, please bear with me.)

A mouse/mice built a nest on top of both cylinders of my JD 590. The Engine Malfunction Indicator came on but I am unaware of for how long. I was mowing on a day when the temperature was 90 degrees. According to the service manager the computer on the 590 does not throw any codes to tell what is wrong. He assumed the engine overheated. I didn't notice any loss of power. The grass in the area that I was mowing only about 5 inches tall and the tractor was not under a heavy load. The service tech completely cleaned out the engine compartment and couldn't any damage to wiring or anything else. A test run showed that everything was operating OK. Do you think that there might have been unnoticed damage? The service department manager said that the 590 goes into a "imp mode" if there is the potential of serious damage. Is this correct?

I do keep the hood up on the tractor but the mouse/mice came up from underneath the motor. I use dryer sheets around my motorcycles and my JD 1070. Better do the same with the 590. Anything better than dryer sheets? Mothballs?

From now on I am going to watch the 590 dash a lot more closely. Yes indeed I am.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
I hate them little critters :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I've heard about mothballs but don't have experience with them, so don't know if it works. I've had luck with D-con, with a car in storage. Put a couple inside the engine compartment and interior. D-con was gone but the wiring wasn't.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
(If you also go to the "other" tractor forum, please bear with me.)

A mouse/mice built a nest on top of both cylinders of my JD 590. The Engine Malfunction Indicator came on but I am unaware of for how long. I was mowing on a day when the temperature was 90 degrees. According to the service manager the computer on the 590 does not throw any codes to tell what is wrong. He assumed the engine overheated. I didn't notice any loss of power. The grass in the area that I was mowing only about 5 inches tall and the tractor was not under a heavy load. The service tech completely cleaned out the engine compartment and couldn't any damage to wiring or anything else. A test run showed that everything was operating OK. Do you think that there might have been unnoticed damage? The service department manager said that the 590 goes into a "imp mode" if there is the potential of serious damage. Is this correct?

I do keep the hood up on the tractor but the mouse/mice came up from underneath the motor. I use dryer sheets around my motorcycles and my JD 1070. Better do the same with the 590. Anything better than dryer sheets? Mothballs?

From now on I am going to watch the 590 dash a lot more closely. Yes indeed I am.
funny u should speak of them pesky little criters-today at the dealer where i bought my new gator at-a fella dropped off his little tractor for some TLC--as i was walking around it-held up in the air by a hoist chain--with the front tires off of it--i thought i seen insulation all around the the carb, top cover of motor, i mean every little nook and cranny it had pink in it:laugh: said to the mechanic-that ain't to be in there like that-right:dunno::laugh: he said nope-mice troubles--head gasket blew out only after the owner kept running it with the seal out on motor-i mean oil everywhere-most of it was dry, so he ran it a long time i think-IMO. but i still had to laugh at how hard them criters worked to stuff that stuff everywhere on that poor motor like that. i-yi-yi:munch:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've heard about mothballs but don't have experience with them, so don't know if it works. I've had luck with D-con, with a car in storage. Put a couple inside the engine compartment and interior. D-con was gone but the wiring wasn't.
First, I would not worry about engine damage. As the dealer noted, the 590 has a safe mode for running hot and low oil conditions.

As for the moth balls, they do tend to work--better than dryer sheets, which in my experience ended up in the mice nesting material. I also put a rolling log mouse trap near the tractor and it seems to catch most of the mice before they can do damage. Unlike a traditional mouse trap, this one keeps working.

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Where do you get D-Con these days? I thought they took it off the market.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Peppermint oil is good to use as a repellent.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ace Hardware

Where do you get D-Con these days? I thought they took it off the market.

Ya just can't get in the ole time pellets in the feeder boxes. Just chunks within little trap like boxes. Screw that!!I use rubber gloves and a ole cheese grater and make my own pellets outta the new chunks!:bigthumb: I sprinkle my home made pellets just like before under air cleaners and car places that the little varmits prefer. They munch..they die!!:lol:

I B Happy!! Rob

·
Registered
364 Posts
Peppermint oil is good to use as a repellent.
Peppermint works very well, but I use a combination of peppermint and those 6"x12" sticky traps. Put a couple down under the tractor with a dab of peanut butter in the middle. You'll catch them by the dozens, then you just pick up the mat and throw it away. Field mice suck.

It works for squirrels too. Ever seen a squirrel climb a tree with a sticky mat stuck to it's head? :laugh:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Ya just can't get in the ole time pellets in the feeder boxes. Just chunks within little trap like boxes. Screw that!!I use rubber gloves and a ole cheese grater and make my own pellets outta the new chunks!:bigthumb: I sprinkle my home made pellets just like before under air cleaners and car places that the little varmits prefer. They munch..they die!!:lol:

I B Happy!! Rob
You could probably could get a big thing of copper sulfate (the stuff you use to turn your pond blue) and some powered molasses, some powdered milk and use some water as a binder and make your own mouse killer. Just make sure to use enough copper to make it effective.

Works good for elusive raccoons, too. :rocket:

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Ya just can't get in the ole time pellets in the feeder boxes. Just chunks within little trap like boxes. Screw that!!I use rubber gloves and a ole cheese grater and make my own pellets outta the new chunks! I sprinkle my home made pellets just like before under air cleaners and car places that the little varmits prefer. They munch..they die!!
Ahhh... ok. I was just curious because we used D-Con for decades and it always did the trick. I hadn't purchased any in a long time and when my huge supply ran out I started looking for more and it was nowhere to be found. I finally searched on-line and discovered it was no more.

That is a good idea about using the chunks to make pellets. I've switched over to the Tom Cat plastic boxes and so far they seem to be doing okay. You just have to rely on the critter making his way into the box.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ive been fighting mice since we moved into the woods.
Heres what Ive found with my situation.

If there is a way into a building, they will find it.
The way to prevent this is to be sure all cracks and crevasses they can fit through are sealed up. I had issues with them in the garage until I sealed up a few of these and replaced the garage door bottom seal and side weatherstrip trim.
Havent had a mouse in the garage in over a year since fixing it.
My shed on the other hand has poor T-111 siding that needs replaced. Cant keep them out of there.
The house, well, at least they stay out of the living space and crawl. They do manage to get into the attic.

I have several of the small triangular bait boxes around the house and a couple around the garage.
I also have a few of the galvanized steel "Tin Cat" multi-catch traps. One where I noticed the most activity on the bait by the house, and one by the corner of the garage where they used to get in.

A couple things Ive learned along the way.
The bait alone hleps, but the trouble with only bait is that they eat it and go somewhere to die. Some say they will go outside and seek water. Thats false. Ive even heard that from a pest "professional" in the past. Its been proven false time and time again. If they are living inside, eat that stuff, they will go right back to their "home" and die. Then you get to smell it for a while, whether its in a wall in the house, or some nook in the garage.
I had that problem twice in the house before I added the Tin Cat traps.
Those get baited with the same bait as the bait stations, but since they cant get back out, I know exactly where they die.

The shed though was a different problem. Several mice, and the old snap traps were ineffective. I tried a tin cat in there too, but it too was ineffective. Now, they both caught mice, just not many. Couldnt get it under control in there.
I started looking at options. I tried to make my own bucket trap using cans, but it didnt work worth a darn. Never caught a thing, but the mice sure liked the peanut butter I left on the can.
I was about to purchase the "rolling log" trap for the bucket when I came across a guy that reviewed all kinds of mouse traps, using cameras to monitor them.
That was one of his favorites. There was one he had tested that was better though. Search "Plank Mouse Trap" or "Walk the plank trap" and you will find it.
He said that in his testing, every once in a while the mice could escape the rolling log trap. That never happened with the plank type.
I gave it a shot.
Its a machine at catching mice!
First day it was in the shed, I caught 4.
Over the next week, I caught about 6 more.
Then I was down to one mouse a week until now, and Ive been fairly mouse free for a while.

That said, they are harvesting now, and all those mice are looking for a home, so I need to get out there and refill all the bait stations and make sure the tin cats are all in good shape.
And put more Nutella on that plank trap in the shed.
If you can keep the mice out in the Fall, you will save yourself a lot of problems down the road.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
The Mice LOVE engine block heaters

Since fall is near and winter around the corner, for those who use the 110 volt block heaters and plug them in, just know they are like a major HEAT MAGNET for mice. The mice will build nests on top of the engine and in any areas where they will benefit from the radiating heat from the block heater.

I have actually parked the tractor in the barn at 6am and the under hood area was SPOTLESS. By 5pm the same day, there was a mouse condo already in the finishing trim stage and they were selecting floor covering and wall colors. It doesn't take them long to learn of the heat source and POUNCE on it.

A couple of years ago, I was starting my 455 out in the barn and had backed it out of the barn and was letting it warm up as I was adding fuel. All of a sudden, I could smell smoke and I opened the hood and the mouse nest of grass and whatever was actually smoldering and ready to burst into flames. Less than 12 hours before, it was clean and nothing under the hood.

I shut down the tractor and waited a few minutes and got the hand held gas blower and blew the nest and it's occupants right out into the snow. On more than one occasion, I have started the engine to see mice scurrying out from under the hood, twice while the mouse was in the middle of adding more rodents to the population. The mouse jumps out of the under hood area with a mouse hanging halfway out of it in the delivery process. Great, a family with kids......:banghead:

I put the mint packs out and Bounce and the mice seemed to stay away from those protected areas. This year, I am going to put a couple of the 110 volt Ultrasonic pest devices which are supposed to keep the mice away in the house garage and where the tractor is stored.

I wanted to get a barn cat but Mrs. Bear won't allow the cat to sleep in the barn or garage and Sulley Bear and Beasely won't allow it near the house.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
The mice built a nest in the engine of my formerly FAVORITE little 2 stroke gas powered snowblower and as a result, the engine overheated and turned it into scrap. Parts are no longer available. The blower worked fine until the mouse nest caused the over heating.

The air cooled engines need the air flow, even the air cooled snow blowers...Good news was the mouse died of heat stroke in winter.:nunu::nunu::banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ive been fighting mice since we moved into the woods.
Heres what Ive found with my situation.

If there is a way into a building, they will find it.
The way to prevent this is to be sure all cracks and crevasses they can fit through are sealed up. I had issues with them in the garage until I sealed up a few of these and replaced the garage door bottom seal and side weatherstrip trim.
Havent had a mouse in the garage in over a year since fixing it.
My shed on the other hand has poor T-111 siding that needs replaced. Cant keep them out of there.
The house, well, at least they stay out of the living space and crawl. They do manage to get into the attic.

I have several of the small triangular bait boxes around the house and a couple around the garage.
I also have a few of the galvanized steel "Tin Cat" multi-catch traps. One where I noticed the most activity on the bait by the house, and one by the corner of the garage where they used to get in.

A couple things Ive learned along the way.
The bait alone hleps, but the trouble with only bait is that they eat it and go somewhere to die. Some say they will go outside and seek water. Thats false. Ive even heard that from a pest "professional" in the past. Its been proven false time and time again. If they are living inside, eat that stuff, they will go right back to their "home" and die. Then you get to smell it for a while, whether its in a wall in the house, or some nook in the garage.
I had that problem twice in the house before I added the Tin Cat traps.
Those get baited with the same bait as the bait stations, but since they cant get back out, I know exactly where they die.

The shed though was a different problem. Several mice, and the old snap traps were ineffective. I tried a tin cat in there too, but it too was ineffective. Now, they both caught mice, just not many. Couldnt get it under control in there.
I started looking at options. I tried to make my own bucket trap using cans, but it didnt work worth a darn. Never caught a thing, but the mice sure liked the peanut butter I left on the can.
I was about to purchase the "rolling log" trap for the bucket when I came across a guy that reviewed all kinds of mouse traps, using cameras to monitor them.
That was one of his favorites. There was one he had tested that was better though. Search "Plank Mouse Trap" or "Walk the plank trap" and you will find it.
He said that in his testing, every once in a while the mice could escape the rolling log trap. That never happened with the plank type.
I gave it a shot.
Its a machine at catching mice!
First day it was in the shed, I caught 4.
Over the next week, I caught about 6 more.
Then I was down to one mouse a week until now, and Ive been fairly mouse free for a while.

That said, they are harvesting now, and all those mice are looking for a home, so I need to get out there and refill all the bait stations and make sure the tin cats are all in good shape.
And put more Nutella on that plank trap in the shed.
If you can keep the mice out in the Fall, you will save yourself a lot of problems down the road.

I use the sticky mat traps for all the reasons you stated. I dab of PB, go back and find 4-5 mice, rinse and repeat until they're finally all gone. I leave them in the basement, under the porch, and in the shed and check them once per week. I like the rolling log traps, or any trap that catches more than one mickey at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Been buying spray stuff called Rodent Defense from Amazon. Made out of peppermint and garlic oil.
Had no trouble since using it.
Thanks I will try that Wife would Kill Me if I killed Her creatures as she calls them. I have 3 Mice Living In The Barn currently In the Troy-Bilt chipper. They Have left the Tractors alone for now :bigthumb:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks I will try that Wife would Kill Me if I killed Her creatures as she calls them. I have 3 Mice Living In The Barn currently In the Troy-Bilt chipper. They Have left the Tractors alone for now :bigthumb:
Start up the chipper.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts