Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ; I have a John Deere OEM rubber plow blade edge can it be flipped over to get second usage out of it? The mounting holes are drilled towards one edge ; would I have to re-drill holes in the center? Thanks John

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,671 Posts
I have flipped mine, but its not a deere edge. Deere 54 plow though.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
John, I'm thinking no way! If the original holes were drilled in the center, yes, but with the holes near one edge, no.
Because you're looking to flip the rubber edge, the rubber edge is worn down to the point of almost touching some metal. Adding new holes will simply out the old holes near the metal you're almost hitting. Difficult to explain! Take old rubber edge off, put a piece of masking tape on rubber edge, mark location of proposed new holes and align with holes in blade. You'll find the edge STILL doesn't stick down far enough!
You can use conveyor belting, horse stall mat, or mud flaps to make a new rubber edge. Cut to height, width, drill, mount, done! Your old rubber will be a good template for drilling new rubber edge. Bob

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,646 Posts
Just use the strap which holds the rubber edge for a template on the rubber when flipped and see where the holes would be. If there is enough rubber left to use, you will know with the metal strap on the rubber edge as the template. As long as there is enough material left for the strap on the plow to compress the rubber edge between the strap and blade, it will hold. If the rubber isn't compressed by the strap when you flip it, time for a new rubber edge.

When drilling holes in the rubber flap, its best to go a size or two larger with the drill bit as the rubber holes tend to close some when the drilling is done and when drilled the same size as the bolts, you often have to hammer the bolts through the new holes to get it mounted. I have used the rubber edge from Deere and flipped and re-drilled it. But it didn't last long for all of the effort verses replacing it.

If you have a local belt and rubber seller, check with them as you can get similar material for MUCH less than the Deere price. I usually get 8' lengths for my plow for around $30................Just take the rubber plow edge into the belt supplier and chances are they will have something that will work fine and for much less.

Also, if you do get rubber material elsewhere, cut it about 2" longer than the plow so the edges of the scraper edge hang out past the end of the plow, as this helps to clear when back dragging door openings, etc. and it keeps the metal plow away from the door jamb, etc.

Just don't extend the rubber edge more than 2" as it will cause the rubber edge to tear or break when you use a lot of down force. The unsupported rubber sticking out past the end of the plow will flex with down pressure and it can cause the entire rubber edge to "snap", depending upon the material....................I have a lot of experience with the rubber plow edges and material and have used it and tried different approaches for years..........

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Sulley; I think you’re right on the flipping of the John Deere original rubber; which I haven’t installed yet so I may try to return it or sell it ; so I will probably end up getting some conveyor belt rubber that seems very durable; i’m doing all this to protect my newly paved driveway; i’ll probably put the shoes up high enough that they don’t even rub just the rubber edge; i’m also considering doing some stuff to my 44 inch snowblower; Robalon plastic shoes and any ideas on a rubber edge and how to attach to snowblower? All the equipment will be pushed by a X580 Thanks John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.