Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Jason Gadsby, I am a retired Soldier/Disabled Veteran living in Texas. I am not an owner as of yet, but am hoping to be one soon after hearing the thoughts from all you experts out there. My Father in Law is selling his 97ish GT235 ride on. He is selling it fairly cheap because it needs some work. It does run, albeit a little rough as he has left it out doors for quite some time. The plastics will all need replacing, as well as the seat. There isnt really any rust to be spoken of, but I would be painting it again just to have a fresh tractor. I am experienced mechanically, having been a mechanic in the Army for 13 years. I can also paint, weld, etc etc. So my question to you all is, is it worth saving? The cost is around $250, and then the parts needed to fix her up like new. I am on a small lot now, but my wife and I are about to buy a 2 acre lot near Lake Whitney and will need a tractor. I am glad to be here, and even assuming you all tell me I am dumb and just buy a new one, it will still be green and yellow :) Thank you all and please dont pull any punches!

Registered
Welcome from northeastern Pennsylvania.

Thanks for being a Soldier.

Before jumping into the "body work", you may want to check on prices of the plastic and/or fiberglass pieces that you need. Most of them are expensive. Most of the mechanical parts aren't bad and some can be obtained from other sources.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I have been doing some research, seems I can rebuild most of the tractor for under a grand. Tires are good, no drive train issues that I know, but a carb overhaul may be in it's future. I will run a compression test to see about the lower end. The kids love the thing too. Seems a waste to sell it because it wasn't taken care of... and one thing I have is time :)

Registered
Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Jason Gadsby, I am a retired Soldier/Disabled Veteran living in Texas. I am not an owner as of yet, but am hoping to be one soon after hearing the thoughts from all you experts out there. My Father in Law is selling his 97ish GT235 ride on. He is selling it fairly cheap because it needs some work. It does run, albeit a little rough as he has left it out doors for quite some time. The plastics will all need replacing, as well as the seat. There isnt really any rust to be spoken of, but I would be painting it again just to have a fresh tractor. I am experienced mechanically, having been a mechanic in the Army for 13 years. I can also paint, weld, etc etc. So my question to you all is, is it worth saving? The cost is around $250, and then the parts needed to fix her up like new. I am on a small lot now, but my wife and I are about to buy a 2 acre lot near Lake Whitney and will need a tractor. I am glad to be here, and even assuming you all tell me I am dumb and just buy a new one, it will still be green and yellow :) Thank you all and please dont pull any punches!
If the deck is solid and the trans works good, I wouldn't hesitate buying it. I bought my 01 back in 2013 for $1800 and it's served me well. Decided to repower it last fall as it was starting to use oil pretty bad-no idea how many hours were on it, no hour meter. Spent $900 on a new crate engine from small engine warehouse and it's like a new tractor all over again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hey, I want a title too!
Thank you for your service!:usa

Welcome to GTT.

Registered
:hi:Welcome, Jason. This year my 85 years old FIL went to a rest home. He had a stroke, 15 years ago, in 2008 he purchased a CR125 and since that time, he damaged every edge he could reach.
Now I'm the new owner of the CR125 and I will never restore this riding lawn mower - he always enjoyed the mower and so it's his heritage to me :thumbup1gif:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the kind words. It was an honor to have served and do it again if called back.

I understand not wanting to restore to maintain a legacy or memories. I have a lot of antiques in my house that we maintain to preserve their heritage and memories passed along with them.

This tractor however does not fall into that category. It fell into disrepair because a new one was wanted and no care was taken. It's sad actually. A tool if properly taken care of will remain a useful tool for a long time. A neglected tool however.... sad days.

I pulled the trigger and told the wife that the mission was a go. So, more to follow upon delivery everyone! Thank you all!

Super Moderator
:gtfam:

IMO, definitely worth the restore time and money.:thumbup1gif:

Premium Member
Welcome from Illinois. Glad to have you join us look forward to your input. Thanks for your service. :usa:usa

Administrator
Welcome to GTT!

Thank you for your service! :bigthumb: :hi: :usa:usa:usa

We'll be glad to help you figure out what you're looking for. :drinks:

Bonehead Club Lackey
:wgtt: and for your service! :usa

Premium Member
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

:usa Thanks for your service. :usa

One thing for sure , sounds like the mower is running so all the repairs don't need done right at the present time. You could do it a little each year and everyone will think you bought a new one .:dunno::dunno:

:munch:

Senior GTT Super Slacker

Registered
Welcome from Central Florida. And thank you for your service! :usa Have fun restoring your tractor.

Registered

Welcome from New York.

And another thank you for your service.

Premium Member
:wgtt: from Hagerstown md thanks for your service :usa all vets should be honored and thanked for all they did they are the reason this country is so great :bigthumb: I was in for 3 yers as a mechanic mos 63w my dad was retired army after a long history of service and my brother is a desert storm vet

Registered
Welcome to Green Tractor Talk from the Pacific NW - Oregon!

Marlin :cowboy:

Registered
gttgreen.gif

Welcome from Southern Maryland and fellow DAV. First thanks for your service. I had a GT245 that I purchased new back in 1995. When I purchased my 1025R last year the GT245 went to my SIL and is still running strong so they are built to last. If all that you need to invest is 250 then it is definitely worth it. Once up and running take care of the periodic maintenance and it should serve you for many years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts