Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boy I wished I was the one to say its my time to be the owner, but sadly it is not time yet for me, I am asking for a friend that is to contrary to own internet and a computer, but hopely that I learn from these questions. he is looking at a 4by2 gas gator to plow snow with, does any body have or use one like that for this purpose, can u run chains on them like a small tractor does, what are or any defects we should look for in older machines, we are going next week to look at one with a cab on, looks really good in pics. no rust all tin and plastic not bent or broke. but here's the million dollar question, it has over 4,000 hrs. on it, is that bad or normal, it's a 2002 yr. how long will those engines normally run without overhauls or replacements. I'm hopeing we bring it home on my trailer if it's as good as they say, then I can also learn more about the good and bad of them being used. I would love to have a 6by4 with the power dump, to haul dirt or any thing around my property. 56ford I think I seen where u own a 4by2, what are ur dislikes and good things of it. any body feel free to respond, thanks Big Jim

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,086 Posts
What model? How much $?

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What model? How much $?
Gizmo2, I don't recall off the top of my head, but I did get him down 500 bucks on the phone, was 4500, now4000,and I think if we work on him harder in person even more, u know the old saying that my grandpap used when he used cash! money talks, bull#### walks, lets deal :laugh: my friend is very fornate to be able to deal in cash only, will get back to u. thanks big jim. gizmo2, looked it up,says model; gator, yr, 2002, hrs,4012,

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I bought a 2007 HPX 4x4 with power dump and 4xx hrs for about that 2 years ago.

You might want to spend a little time looking on http://www.machinefinder.com keep in mind the listed price is full retail from a dealer and not the real price. That will give you an idea on what it might be worth in your area.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any pictures? Seems like a lot of money to me for a 4x2.
yes, but have to wait for wife to post them. :flag_of_truce:I found 3 around the country with cabs, and they was all at or around that price. what about the hrs, for 13yrs. is that low or normal, does the older ones have speedometers on them? also whats the difference of a hpx?

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I bought a 2007 HPX 4x4 with power dump and 4xx hrs for about that 2 years ago.
so should we keep looking, did urs have a cab. I have been on fastline, machine finder, anywhere else should be looking, did find one on e-bay in iowa or Wisconsin I think.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Jim, sounds like a TS or TX if its 2wd. 4k hrs is a bunch and wanting $4k? Keep looking IMO. I had a TS once. They have a diff lock and I guess would be OK for smaller snows but that's it. I have a HPX now, don't have a plow on it but they are 4wd.. HPX and newer number gators are 4wd. Deere might even still make the TS models..

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Jim, sounds like a TS or TX if its 2wd. 4k hrs is a bunch and wanting $4k? Keep looking IMO. I had a TS once. They have a diff lock and I guess would be OK for smaller snows but that's it. I have a HPX now, don't have a plow on it but they are 4wd.. HPX and newer number gators are 4wd. Deere might even still make the TS models..
Thanks NEWT ; lots of good info. our jd dealer quoted him a price of (ready) around $25,000 for a new one. he about fell over from sticker shock.i don't know all details about it, but for him that one is out, because of price. all the ones I found on line at $2 or $3000 was from the pics junk, I mean tore up fenders broke, rusted beds.etc.,etc.this thing has a steel cab with power dump, my only concern is the hrs. and 2 wheel drive, but this guy has never owned a 4 wheel drive pu in his life, don't believe in them, so I think when he gets stuck with this 2 wheel drive it might teach him something.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Jim hop on tractorhouse and look at TS and TX gators to see which model this one is. I think you said you seen pictures of it..

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
In 2002 JD made a Gator called the Gator 4x2. It's a very basic two wheel drive, single cylinder gasoline engine with 10 HP.

I have a 2001 model 4X2 with a Curtis cab and about 4,300 hours on it. It's a great machine for what I need to do, which is hauling square bales for the horses and running around the property. The rear end has no suspension, only the front so the ride can be a bit rough and it's not meant for serious off roading. The 10 HP engine did not come from the factory with an oil filter, though there was a kit from Deere that would add one. Don't be surprised if the one you're looking at doesn't have an oil filter.

It's a very good, basic Gator. If yours has the plastic read fenders on the bed then I can't guarantee chains will fit without hitting them, but chains will clear the frame of the machine. It's a single cylinder 10 hp engine though, with manual steering and a belt powered gearbox transmission. I honestly don't know how well it will handle plowing snow. If your area is fairly level and the snow doesn't get too deep it might be okay, I've never gotten enough snow to need to plow it.

As for price, this time of year anything with a cab will be bringing a premium. I've seen them listed for anywhere from $2,000 to $6,000 down here in Tennessee with and without cabs. The hours will turn off a lot of buyers, most of the 4X2 Gators on the market now were privately owned and didn't get run more than a few hundred hours a year.

The biggest reason that I would pause in your situation is because I'm just not sure how well these things will clear snow. I don't know if Deere ever offered a plow setup for a 4X2, but I know they offered a power broom for the front. I wouldn't be surprised if they had offered a plow, but haven't seen one. Haven't really looked either, though. $4,000 with the cab isn't a terrible deal, especially up north in February. The cab alone sold new for about $1,800. As a general purpose farm vehicle, I love ours. It does everything I need to do, it's easy and fairly inexpensive to work on and parts are very common.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim hop on tractorhouse and look at TS and TX gators to see which model this one is. I think you said you seen pictures of it..
NEWT ; its not on their. I found it on another site by thereself, there around Lancaster,pa. at first I thought it was a jd dealer, but not, there farmers that fix and sell again type place.we tried to copy pic. off website won't let us, only print a copy of it. I will try to find the one on e-bay and try to copy and paste that pic. the ad does not say whether its a TS or TX. whats the difference? hp, gas, diesel.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That's a TS. Basic gator.. Should have headlights and diff lock. One range transmission vs two range (high/low) like TX/HPX. For the price with cab and blade and hrs don't seem bad. Figure blade adds $800ish and cab $800ish??? Looks like upgraded HDAP type tires too! Power dump can be added for $700-900ish.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
The 4X2 was the forerunner to the TS, it's a separate model. Doesn't make a big difference but I believe there were a few small changes.

As for the one in the link on eBay, I would consider it if I were in that area and needed a Gator. It already has a plow, so that helps answer the question of "will it plow or not". :laugh: I paid a little less than that for mine, but the one in the ad has a full hard side cab (mine has soft doors), it has a windshield wiper, and I suspect it may have a heater of some sort as well.

Double check for rust along the bottom of the frame and the bottom of the bed, but overallI thinkit looks pretty good. I'm sure plowing hasn't been easy on the drivetrain, but fortunately the belt from the engine to the transmission should act as a bit of a buffer and absorb most of the wear. When you put it into gear, push (or pull) the lever firmly with the engine at low idle. It should engage with a solid 'clunk' and stay engaged. If it slides out of gear on it's own the transmission has some internal wear, but it's not a difficult fix if you're mechanically inclined. I had to do it to mine, and did a write up on here when I did. There's really very little to go wrong on these, the entire drivetrain is under the bed and easily accessible. The battery is under the passenger's seat and a little bit of a tight fit, the fuel tank is under the driver's seat. Nothing is under the 'hood' up front except for some wiring to the lights and the switches. They came from the factory with a tiny little lawn and garden size battery, mine seemed to last about two years. I installed a slightly heavier duty battery this last time, so far so good.

Personally, I wouldn't sell our Gator for what they're asking.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a TS. Basic gator.. Should have headlights and diff lock. One range transmission vs two range (high/low) like TX/HPX. For the price with cab and blade and hrs don't seem bad. Figure blade adds $800ish and cab $800ish??? Looks like upgraded HDAP type tires too! Power dump can be added for $700-900ish.
THANKS NEWT , FOR looking, this guy will not e-mail me back with final price or a buy-out price, tomorrow is last day of auction, can he reset days without having a reserve on it. friend wants to go east next week to look and try the other one. I on the other hand would rather go for the low hrs. one. but when my time comes I want 4by4, but a 6by4 really, I guess I'm nuts ikn but I would love to try one

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The 4X2 was the forerunner to the TS, it's a separate model. Doesn't make a big difference but I believe there were a few small changes.

As for the one in the link, I would consider it if I were in that area and needed a Gator. It already has a plow, so that helps answer the question of "will it plow or not". :laugh: I paid a little less than that for mine, but the one in the ad has a full hard side cab (mine has soft doors), it has a windshield wiper, and I suspect it may have a heater of some sort as well.

Double check for rust along the bottom of the frame and the bottom of the bed, but overallI thinkit looks pretty good. I'm sure plowing hasn't been easy on the drivetrain, but fortunately the belt from the engine to the transmission should act as a bit of a buffer and absorb most of the wear. When you put it into gear, push (or pull) the lever firmly with the engine at low idle. It should engage with a solid 'clunk' and stay engaged. If it slides out of gear on it's own the transmission has some internal wear, but it's not a difficult fix if you're mechanically inclined. I had to do it to mine, and did a write up on here when I did. There's really very little to go wrong on these, the entire drivetrain is under the bed and easily accessible. The battery is under the passenger's seat and a little bit of a tight fit, the fuel tank is under the driver's seat. Nothing is under the 'hood' up front except for some wiring to the lights and the switches. They came from the factory with a tiny little lawn and garden size battery, mine seemed to last about two years. I installed a slightly heavier duty battery this last time, so far so good.

Personally, I wouldn't sell our Gator for what they're asking.
56fordguy; wow that's good info. I feel ready to go kicking tires :lol: we will try the tranny tips out for sure, thanks a million. Big Jim oh, the one down east doesn't have a plow, but says high hrs.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
THANKS NEWT , FOR looking, this guy will not e-mail me back with final price or a buy-out price, tomorrow is last day of auction, can he reset days without having a reserve on it. friend wants to go east next week to look and try the other one. I on the other hand would rather go for the low hrs. one. but when my time comes I want 4by4, but a 6by4 really, I guess I'm nuts ikn but I would love to try one
As far as you getting one, IMO I wouldnt go the 6X4 route, stick with a 4X4.. What will you be doing with it? If your gonna load it, dirt, gravel, go HPX route. If ride quality is at the top of the list, then 620i or newer..

My HPX will do this all day long and ask for more!!

The HPX is IMO the "workhorse" of the Gators, 6X4 to I guess.. I think on the 6X4s you can lock up all 4 rears to pull but turning would be a problem. HPX is 4wd and has coil over shocks on the rear where as the 620I and newer are all 4 wheel independent suspension.. The TS and 6X4s had no rear suspension, well other than adjustable air ride (adjusting the tire PSI).

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gators

As far as you getting one, IMO I wouldnt go the 6X4 route, stick with a 4X4.. What will you be doing with it? If your gonna load it, dirt, gravel, go HPX route. If ride quality is at the top of the list, then 620i or newer..

My HPX will do this all day long and ask for more!!

The HPX is IMO the "workhorse" of the Gators, 6X4 to I guess.. I think on the 6X4s you can lock up all 4 rears to pull but turning would be a problem. HPX is 4wd and has coil over shocks on the rear where as the 620I and newer are all 4 wheel independent suspension.. The TS and 6X4s had no rear suspension, well other than adjustable air ride (adjusting the tire PSI).[/QUOTE AAWH MAN NEWNT-THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE IN MIND TO DO, wow this has been in my mind for a couple of years for this one reason, but I want the power dump too. no use to show wife :thumbsdown: she has put brakes to me after x475 in spring and than all the money on front axle on my 2520 late fall.I honestly will save these pics. and paste on refrigerator door to look at this year till last payment.:laugh::laugh: on tractor and parts. Big Jim

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Seller can't reset auction days. With bids I do not think he can give you a "buy it now" price either. I do not think He can end the auction early if the bids are not high enough. I think higher bidder will get it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts