Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my lighter duty PHD has a 1 3/8" output shaft, and the new 12" auger I got wants a 2" shaft which is standard on the larger PHD augers. My plan here is to find a bushing with a 1 1/2" id and 2" od, drill it to match the Auger holes to minimize the play. I realize there is some risk using a larger auger than it is designed for, but with grade 2 bolts I figure they will shear before any damage is done.

Does anyone have a good source for a bushing this size? I think I'd prefer to get one with a shoulder so I am not constantly fighting to keep it from sliding down the Auger shaft. (I measured and there is enuf room for an 1/8" shoulder.)

·
Administrator
18,494 Posts
I have never heard of such a bushing ready made, you might have to get one made at a machine shop.

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Try McMaster Car.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Arlen, thats exactly the item, but $24? yikes!

I mentioned this to my ham radio neighbor last night and he gave me a 12" long piece of 1.5" id x 2" od pipe that he uses as a mast. One end is even threaded for a coupler, so if I can find a coupler and cut it down I can even make a flange, then I think I only need to cut it and drill it and I'll be in luck.

If this doesn't work then I'm going to take 56FordGuy up on his offer I think!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Thanks guys. Arlen, thats exactly the item, but $24? yikes!

I mentioned this to my ham radio neighbor last night and he gave me a 12" long piece of 1.5" id x 2" od pipe that he uses as a mast. One end is even threaded for a coupler, so if I can find a coupler and cut it down I can even make a flange, then I think I only need to cut it and drill it and I'll be in luck.

If this doesn't work then I'm going to take 56FordGuy up on his offer I think!

Thanks all.
If you have more than 15 minutes messing with it, the 24 bucks is cheap.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Rans,

I had to do the exact same thing you did. It was before I had a lathe, so I had a friend with a machine shop in Easton make my adapter. I had him make it so it fit over the 2" output on the post hole digger, and over the OD of the auger. It was easier that trying to make a coupler that fit over the 2" PHD shaft and inside the auger. If you go that route it will make the auger several inches longer. In my case, I couldn't add much length. I just welded the coupler to the auger with a bead around the bottom edge. My post hole digger is a Danuser, and I have stalled my tractor and sheared two shear bolts already, but there is no damage to the auger or adapter. The Danuser PHD is rated for 80HP, so I'm sure the PTO in my little 2520 will blow up long before I hurt the PHD.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Andy, if I can't make this work I might have to try something like that.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
What did you end up doing?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The piece of pipe I got from my neighbor with the threaded end did the trick. I was able to buy a pair of conduit lock nuts (like you would find on the inside if a cable lock in a metal electric outlet box?), for $1 at Home Depot. When I put them both on they were effective at locking together and formed a flange so when I dropped the pipe into the auger it held perfectly. Then I marked the drill holes, 5/8" each and took the pipe downstairs to the drill press, made my holes and headed out to the store to find some 1/2" x 3" grade 2 bolts, washers, and nylocks. I got 2 sets, in case the first sets shears, then I have a backup set. The whole thing isn't perfectly tight between the gearbox drive and the auger, but there is far less play in it than before. The only consternation I had at this point was grade 2 vs grade 5 for the bolts. I saw a couple of posts on the I-net saying grade 5 on the auger side and grade 2 on the drive shaft side.....but I opted to stay conservative. If these grade 2's don't hold up I can always upgrade for less than the cost of a new gearbox!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sounds like you worked it out! I think it should hold up, and it isn't like you'll be out $50 if it breaks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need Shear Pins now!

Now I have a new problem. Digging holes over the weekend for trees and I hit some rock, and it sheared the pin between the transmission and the u-joints up near the head, exactly as it should do. I figured no problem, I'll just stick another shear pin in....no luck, I have none that fit. It's a 1/4 x 2 1/2 pin with no head. Do you think I could find one at any of the hardware placs around? Not a chance! Everyone says the snowblower guys cleaned them out. A little investigation showed that none of them stocked 2 1/2 long shear pins anyway. One guy suggested trying an equipment rental place, so i will hit a few on the way home. Tried one JD dealer on the lunch round, he had none. There is a huge Kubota place on my way home that has lot's of stuff, up to the big gear. I'll try them too. Can't even find it on the internets!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
A standard bolt won't work, one with a head? That's what mine uses. I believe it calls for a grade 5 as well.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts