Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Everyone,

So I've got a new 2520 on the way and I'd like to get a PHD for it really soon. My question is, has anyone tried putting an 18" auger on a 2520? I'm pretty sure it would run a 12" just fine, but I could be wrong there too.. Mostly, if its at all possible, I'd like the ability to run an 18" - but only very rarely - when putting up a couple buildings. If it won't take an 18", it won't be too bad to drill a smaller hole and hand dig it the rest of the way. Any advice?

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. - Any recommendations on a good brand PHD?

·
Administrator
18,525 Posts
12" will be no problem at all, and you will end up with a larger hole anyway. No clue about a 18"...

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
What kind of ground are you running it through? If it's good topsoil or sandy, should have no problem with an 18". If it's rocky, you might have issues with a 12".

·
Registered
389 Posts
The one I have is a woods. I found their web location and see the 65 model is the smallest they rate for more than 12 inches. The manual downloads for free and is the first time I read the manual for mine. The design has changed a bit, mine has two spots to attach the arch to the boom and the drawings only show one. I would imagine it is kind of for a larger tractor but 25 hp is the minimum for the 65 model. My lift pins are double ended welded on and the outer ones are really wide for a true cat II.

Landscape Equipment

I see they have special augers for planting trees with a smaller tip.

Probably pulling the auger out more than the actual power needed would be the possible limitation. I bought mine used with a bunch of other stuff so I am not recommending woods over anything else here.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My 2520 runs a 12" auger with no problems. Big enough rocks will lock up any size auger, so if you have lots of rocks an 8" auger can jam just as easily as a 18" one. I have never seen an 18" auger for any of the normal PHDs that will fit my 2520. I would think they would be kind of expensive for just using a handful of times. You might almost be better off just finishing the 18" hole by hand. As mentioned, a 12" auger makes a hole bigger than 12" in diameter once you get everything dug.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I think I'll just go with the 12" auger and hand dig it the rest of the way for the few holes that I'll need to be at 18". Have any of you run the Speeco brand PHD's? They sell them at my local farm and fleet stores and are pretty reasonable. I think it was $450 for the PHD and around $120 for the auger bit. Does that sound about right for a good price on one?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I think I'll just go with the 12" auger and hand dig it the rest of the way for the few holes that I'll need to be at 18". Have any of you run the Speeco brand PHD's? They sell them at my local farm and fleet stores and are pretty reasonable. I think it was $450 for the PHD and around $120 for the auger bit. Does that sound about right for a good price on one?

Thanks,

Dan
TSC sells the Speeco and I got one at $450 on sale from TSC. If it is the same model then that is a good price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts