Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. A local farm store is selling 2 different brands of post hole diggers this week for 379.00 .
The Speeco will be discontinued after the sale.
The new brand they will carry is Behlen.
Wondering which way to go?
Any opinions?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Hello everyone. A local farm store is selling 2 different brands of post hole diggers this week for 379.00 .
The Speeco will be discontinued after the sale.
The new brand they will carry is Behlen.
Wondering which way to go?
Any opinions?
Behlen is a big well established company that's been in business for more than 75 years with a wide range of implements. All of this is a good sign meaning they build quality implements and have been doing it for a long time.

I would likely go Behlen because of their vast product line up, history and the availability of parts, etc. It looks like they make their stuff in the gold ole USA, which is almost a rare thing these days.

Speeco has been around a long time as well and also claims their products are made in the USA. They also make a range of 3PH implements.

Bottom line, I would go with which ever model you like the best, the best price and that fits your tractor and needs. If they are both very similar, which one is the color that matches your tractor the best (that's what my wife would say...:dunno:..) She won't let me attach implements that are the "wrong color".....I bought a King Kutter 3ph Carry All platform and that was her very first comment, paint it......

The good news is you are choosing between two long standing organizations with a history of making quality implements. Either way, you should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
One thing to take into account is the possibility of optional additions. Some will have an additional down force option that lets you add additional force via hydraulics when digging in rocky or clay soil, or an optional positioning handle that lets you move the auger where you want it from the seat. If something like that is of interest, you may want to see if either offer such options. If not, either one is probably a good choice.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My opinion is neither, unless you know you have very soft or silty soil. I'm all for tractor implements, but these PHD's for our smaller tractors are near useless. Rent a skidsteer with the auger attachment for a day, and you'll understand.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
My opinion is neither, unless you know you have very soft or silty soil. I'm all for tractor implements, but these PHD's for our smaller tractors are near useless. Rent a skidsteer with the auger attachment for a day, and you'll understand.
Amen.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Speeco builds the PHD for Tractor Supply Co (TSC), if you're concerned about support. There is a number of threads discussing that PHD. I'm assuming the farm store you're referring to is Mill's Fleet-Farm. They changed from Speeco to Behlen last summer and put clearance pricing on the Speeco PHD and augers. I scored a pretty good deal on augers.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just the ability to reverse the auger if it gets stuck makes this a good idea. But it all depends on your soil and how often you use it. I have used my PTO driven PHD quite a bit, definitely more often than would be financially feasible for me to rent. And while it isn't ideal, it's WAAAAYYY better than digging by hand! :laugh:

To be honest, I hated using it when I was using a 9" auger. Since I finally got my 12" auger it has worked as it should.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ve been doing landscape construction for 15 years now. I’ve run hydraulic augers on skidsteers and drilled thousands of holes from 4” to 36” for trees. Without the ability to reverse I can’t see a pto auger being usable.

Around the city the soil conditions vary a lot. Being able to start/stop/change rotation at the press of my thumb is great. Needing extensions at times I can do 8’ holes below frost line here when needed fairly easy. Also I’m Not sure but depth on these 3pt augers seem limited.

Then again I’ll take any excuse to pick up a new toy

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest issue I'll be facing is roots,my soil is sand 6' down.
i'm going to put up a implement shed and a pole barn this summer i hope.
I'm gathering up my weapons for a successful season.
Thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I used my Speeco (on my 1025r) just yesterday to punch a few holes in clay. No issues.
Buddy used it last week to punch a couple of dozen holes for railroad ties. No issues.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
His 2032R is about the same size as a 3R series so it can definitely run a PHD with ease. Of course a skidsteer with auger would be the bomb but the OP has a pretty serviceable tool with his 2032R.

Get the one that matches your PTO hp the best. Either brand should serve you well. I have the Rotomec PHD 300 that is made for John Deere and run it on a 3025E. Works just fine for a low hp tractor.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I’ve been doing landscape construction for 15 years now. I’ve run hydraulic augers on skidsteers and drilled thousands of holes from 4” to 36” for trees. Without the ability to reverse I can’t see a pto auger being usable.

Around the city the soil conditions vary a lot. Being able to start/stop/change rotation at the press of my thumb is great. Needing extensions at times I can do 8’ holes below frost line here when needed fairly easy. Also I’m Not sure but depth on these 3pt augers seem limited.

Then again I’ll take any excuse to pick up a new toy
Reverse on a PTO auger is also known as a big pipe wrench. :laugh:

And on my Frontier PHD100, I can get down to about 32-34 inches since it is designed for the limited cat 1 1025r. The augers on others seem to be a bit longer so can probably go down a bit farther.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts