Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my new 6330 JD in about 3 weeks, and will be doing fencing and building a pole shed also this summer, drilling quite a few holes. I am about to buy a Danuser hole driller for the tractor, 12 inch auger double flite. I've heard real good things about this tool, any experience pro or con here as to reliability and quality? Thinking about getting the storage rack they sell too, making mounting back on tractor easier, thing weighs over 200 pounds. I figure that baby might start a hernia, getting it on and off the tractor.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
No experience with a Danuser. Here's a shot of a PHD holder. It's a spare wood and caster project and it does make it much easier to connect it all up.

The double holder just makes it that much easier to connect up, many have built a single holding point device. With the single, you just have to lift up the tractor end of the PHD more.

The double support also makes things a bit more manageable when moving it around.

Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have the one TSC sells. 12" auger and Have used it for about 7,000 holes. I have used it for barns and sich, but mostly for planting 2' trees in my field behind the house. I have never had trouble with it.

They are a very useful tool!

I take mine apart and store it on a shelf.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Post hole digger stand. And watch for rocks

I just bought a JD 670 which included a rankin Auger with 9" auger. The auger came in components and I came to the same conclusion about a hernia. I had to build something before i could remove it from the tractor. Sorry I can't post picture. After assembling on the tractor I made a stand using saw-horse bracket and 2X4 studs for legs. The cross brace or header is a 2X6 which I cut 2 feet long and took a 15 degree cut on te ends to splay the legs. I reinforced with 1X4 cross braces. My son thought I was building a swing for the granddaughter. I added hooks for chain. I can back the tractor up and hang the head of auger with the chain. The Rankin has two points tto attach the U-bracket to the lower pair off lift points. I built a tripod attaching to the second mounting point on the Rankn and lower the three point into the tripod secure with a pin (small piece of pipe) then pull the three point connections and drive away. The chain length permits the bit to sit on a piece of scrap 4X4 which impull out to drop the bit i also ran an old piece of garden hose over the chain so I does not damage the paint. Only thing I would do I make the header longer to give more working room. With the tarp cover it looks like an odd tent.

regarding rocks - I could not complete a hole in our area without pulling the auger and breaking up Rocks the auger could not lift in a couple cases I had to move the hole. It took me as long to dig by hand but was still less wear and tear on me

One last thought get some light weight cord to pull back auger bit when pulled from hole or moving between locations. I put loops on both ens an pull over the lower three point pins. Make sure it does not get left laying around when the auger is in operation it will turn almost anything into a hazard.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Pete:

Lynching a 3PH PHD is the best thing that can happen to those evil things.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,657 Posts
Pete:

Lynching a 3PH PHD is the best thing that can happen to those evil things.
Yep, that made me laugh this morning. To follow along the lines of my mothers thoughts "I'd rather be nibbled to death by baby ducks" than put a 3PH PH digger on a tractor.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
That was one of the reasons I got rid of mine Gizmo.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,657 Posts
That was one of the reasons I got rid of mine Gizmo.
Loaned ours out about 5 or 6 years ago and haven't seen it since. Don't miss it, of course I also don't need it either.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Loaned ours out about 5 or 6 years ago and haven't seen it since. Don't miss it, of course I also don't need it either.
The best loan you ever made! :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,657 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts