Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several questions about post hole diggers. Anyone have the Frontier PHD300? It’s quite a bit more expensive than a set of Tractor Supply diggers. What’s the difference? Worth the money? Is a PHD 300 a good size for my 2038R? I noticed the Frontier has a down pressure kit. Is it worth it? How does it work? Does Tractor Supply diggers have a down pressure kit? I know, a lot of questions. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a PDH 300 and run it with my 3025e so your tractor should be able to handle it. I bought that size because it was a unit he had on the floor that someone changed their mind on and the dealer sold it to me for the same price as a PDH 100. I think it has a bigger head unit on it to handle higher PTO horse power, that's really the only difference I think. I would have to look at them side by side to give more information.

I have a frontier 9 inch bit and a tractor supply 12 inch bit. Generally the 12 inch bit works better in the clay I dig through. I thought it would be the opposite but it isn't, I think it is because of the style of the tips of each bit. The down force kit is a hydraulic cylinder/ram that pushes down on the PDH mast so you need access to some hydraulic kits on the back. It might have helped with my 9 inch bit in the clay and rock but the 12 inch bit at $130 took care of my desire for one. Unless you have some crazy tough ground and a tremendous amount of digging to do it probably isn't worth it. I would change the style of bit first before getting a kit unless you just know your soil requires it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The only time you will use a down force kit is during SUPER dry periods.

If there is no soil moisture, the auger will not go down,,,
this is my New Holland 906, this is the first time it was ever used,,,
the auger never had the paint scratched before this pic,,,

The PHD did not like to dig in rocky soil,,, but,,,
when it did dig, it would break the shear pin.

So, IMHO,,, the down force kit will not help the PHD dig in rocky soil,,,

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have a phd from tractor supply and never once been disappointed with it. It's the one implement I own that I have taken little to none care of. It stays out in the weather year around swinging from a tree branch in the woods yet it's always ready to work when I need it to. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I have even greased the U-joints on it. I do not have the down force kit on it and rarely needed it. I used the phd heavily when I first purchased it but after completing the tasks I needed it for, it became one of those implements that is rarely used now but when I need it..... I need it. I knew the use of it would be low once I was finished the initial projects and for that reason alone I didn't want to invest a large sum of money into it. If it self destructs the next time I hitch the tractor to it I will replace it with another just like it. It has given me my monies worth and then some so I have no reason to expect more from a phd.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
662 Posts
I have several questions about post hole diggers. Anyone have the Frontier PHD300? It’s quite a bit more expensive than a set of Tractor Supply diggers. What’s the difference? Worth the money? Is a PHD 300 a good size for my 2038R? I noticed the Frontier has a down pressure kit. Is it worth it? How does it work? Does Tractor Supply diggers have a down pressure kit? I know, a lot of questions. Thanks, guys.
Lots of variables, basically comes down to you get what you pay for. The more it costs, typically the better it is designed and built.

A person should not expect a $300 unit to be the same as a $2000 unit. That's not to say that the $300 won't work for you, again variables.

Also do some research as to what type of bit works well and others do not. Again $$$$.

Do some research regarding how to store the units and what works well for people to hitch and un-hitch. Some people seem to NEVER grasp a good way to do this while others have no problems at all.

As with about anything, understanding what and how things work make things far less complicated and over whelming. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I acquired a used TSC PHD that had been utilized to set the posts for a pole building and some tree planting. Based on the condition of this one and the knowledge I gleaned from other threads, I would suggest a few minor enhancements to the TSC PHD.

The big issue is the boom tends to flop back and forth in the saddle on the "A" frame. It is a clevis pin connection. The saddle was bent open and off to one side on mine when I received it because of this. Others recommend adding washers on one or both sides of the plate that is seated in the saddle to reduce the "slop". I'd take it a step further an add a snug diameter fitting grade 8 bolt and nylock nut to keep it snug. The holes were somewhat elongated on mine, when I received it, also as a result of the slop. I enlarged mine to either 3/4 or 7/8 (I can't recall at this time.) I straightened and narrowed my saddle in my hydraulic press.

The TSC PHD is manufactured by Speeco.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I have a PHD 300 that we use on 90-100 hp tractors. It’s a heavier duty unit than the TSC, the pins are reversible for a Cat II hitch as well as Cat I. Mine has the downforce kit, it’s almost a necessity where I live. The soil isn’t very rocky but super dry and hard most of the year. MtnViewRanch covered it well, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
200 Posts
VA soil, unless you are fencing off tons of acreage , I would go with the TSC PHD, I have used it on my 2038R with good success albeit only about a dozen holes so far.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have a PHD 300 that we use on 90-100 hp tractors. It’s a heavier duty unit than the TSC, the pins are reversible for a Cat II hitch as well as Cat I. Mine has the downforce kit, it’s almost a necessity where I live. The soil isn’t very rocky but super dry and hard most of the year. MtnViewRanch covered it well, you get what you pay for.
Agreed. You can see in the photo of CADPlans' New Holland that the "A" frame and the boom connection to it is quite a bit more robust than the TSC. I was looking at a Everything Attachments PHD before I acquired the TSC. I bought the TSC for price of the augers that were included with it. Otherwise, I probably would have opted for a better unit.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Agreed. You can see in the photo of CADPlans' New Holland that the "A" frame and the boom connection to it is quite a bit more robust than the TSC. I was looking at a Everything Attachments PHD before I acquired the TSC. I bought the TSC for price of the augers that were included with it. Otherwise, I probably would have opted for a better unit.
I found mine on Craigslist, only used maybe once. Still had all the paint on the edges of the auger and all. I paid more than a TSC unit costs, but I got a good deal for something this heavy duty. Our tractors would destroy lighter built equipment.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have a frontier 9 inch bit and a tractor supply 12 inch bit. Generally the 12 inch bit works better in the clay I dig through. I thought it would be the opposite but it isn't, I think it is because of the style of the tips of each bit. The down force kit is a hydraulic cylinder/ram that pushes down on the PDH mast so you need access to some hydraulic kits on the back. It might have helped with my 9 inch bit in the clay and rock but the 12 inch bit at $130 took care of my desire for one. Unless you have some crazy tough ground and a tremendous amount of digging to do it probably isn't worth it. I would change the style of bit first before getting a kit unless you just know your soil requires it.

I have 9" and 12" augers for my PHD100, and this has been my experience in my clay soil, too. The 12" works mostly as expected. The 9" will break shear bolts at the drop of a hat when my soil is dry. I had a theory that it had to do with the heavier weight and the angular momentum of the 12", but just speculation. The both have the same sort of tip.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I Have Had Mine A Long Time

The one major thing I wish mine had is a REVERSE on the direction the head is turning the bit. More than once I have wasted a lot of time trying to get the bit out of the ground when something like a root has decided to hold on! I've got lots of roots and some limestone rocks!
Leo

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone’s answers. I worry about rocks. I have lots of rocks. I would hate to buy it and it be useless for my land. Sure would beat digging though.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone’s answers. I worry about rocks. I have lots of rocks. I would hate to buy it and it be useless for my land. Sure would beat digging though.
yank-i suppose u could rent a skid steer and use a hydraulic post hole digger on it than. it will reverse on it. that would be ok-if u know where all ur drill holes would be at, for a one time deal. i rented one for the holes here at my place, when we put up a pole shed, it worked very well, if we hit a rock, u could reverse it, then move a hair over one way or the other, to miss the rock, unless it was really big:laugh:

i could of bought my neighbor's new in the crate TSC for a good price 2 winters ago, but i have my eye on one from everything attachments-yeah more money than TSC-but i like it a whole lot more.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
The one major thing I wish mine had is a REVERSE on the direction the head is turning the bit. More than once I have wasted a lot of time trying to get the bit out of the ground when something like a root has decided to hold on! I've got lots of roots and some limestone rocks!
Leo
I find the same thing in wet clay.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Rent one. When I had my 2210 I rented one twice with the 12" auger. Don't know what model it was but it worked great. Dug down 2'. At the time, I think it was something around 40 bucks a day. This was in the late 1900's, early 2000's.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No shortage of rocks here in NC where I live. Switching to the 12 inch bit eliminated most of my issues dealing with them. When I used the 9 inch bit, I was severely disappointed in the PDH's in ability to deal with rocks and super hard soil. Not sure a down force kit would do much against rocks, an auger simply can't go through them but it should help with very dry packed soil. You can always add the down force kit later if the PDH doesn't do what you need it too.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I have the PHD300 for use on my 2038R. I have a set of bits 6", 9", 12" & 18". I also dig in rocky soil and shear pins break once in a while. I make sure I have a bunch on-hand before every dig.

Sincerely

My PHD300 fitted to a 3 series at the dealer prior to delivery for demonstration purposes...
Deere 2038R 37.jpg

Auger Set
Deere 2038R 149.jpg

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
yank-i suppose u could rent a skid steer and use a hydraulic post hole digger on it than. it will reverse on it. that would be ok-if u know where all ur drill holes would be at, for a one time deal. i rented one for the holes here at my place, when we put up a pole shed, it worked very well, if we hit a rock, u could reverse it, then move a hair over one way or the other, to miss the rock, unless it was really big:laugh:

i could of bought my neighbor's new in the crate TSC for a good price 2 winters ago, but i have my eye on one from everything attachments-yeah more money than TSC-but i like it a whole lot more.:dunno:
I'm glad my dad has a skidsteer and hyd PHD that I can "rent" whenever I need. Just a 2 hour one way trip to get it... But the hyd units are sooo nice :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm glad my dad has a skidsteer and hyd PHD that I can "rent" whenever I need. Just a 2 hour one way trip to get it... But the hyd units are sooo nice :bigthumb:
Two hours east? Perhaps he'd like to adopt another son?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts