Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.. I'm at the start of hunting for an auger for my 1 series.. I need to run a small fence down the single lane length of my gravel driveway.. This section goes from the road to my concrete pad and is only about 80ft long.. I have split rail cedar fencing in other areas on my property so I'd like to continue that theme & look.. The issue I foresee is that my lane way is really, really hard packed.. Almost like concrete when its dry.. The ground under the lane way is just sand and gravel but I gotta get through what I think is 6 to 10 inches of really hard packed dirt and gravel.. So my question is this.. Can a cat 1 post hole auger/digger bite into this kind of turf to get itself going?.. Or is the tip likely to just spin on top of the ground and not bite in?.. Is there anything to look for in an auger that would make one better for this type of digging than another?..

Obviously I can do'er the old fashioned way and pick and shovel my way through.. But the whole point to getting an auger is to not have to do that.. We're talkin 22 posts here.. That'll be hard on the shoulders!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Not sure about smaller units

I've never run a unit for a subcompact so this may be of minimal help, however. . .

Our larger auger will usually drill into the ground unless there's a combination of very hard soil and a dense sod. Then we have to chew the sod off, stop and lift the auger and clear off the cutting edge. We are more likely to have an issue with lifting the unit out of the ground than not going into the ground. It is reasonably heavy but it's also I think a 12" bit on it. Somewhere on this site is a discussion of down pressure kits for augers. I'm sure with enough down pressure you can make an auger go into the ground. A smaller diameter bit should work better as well in hard ground.

For 22 holes, I would look to rent and not buy. My experience may not qualify as we just finished hand digging way more than that doing some fencing where we couldn't get the tractor and driver in. Never used the auger at all on that job, it was either hand dig or drive. I much preferred the driver but that's not a small tractor option.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never run a unit for a subcompact so this may be of minimal help, however. . .

Our larger auger will usually drill into the ground unless there's a combination of very hard soil and a dense sod. Then we have to chew the sod off, stop and lift the auger and clear off the cutting edge. We are more likely to have an issue with lifting the unit out of the ground than not going into the ground. It is reasonably heavy but it's also I think a 12" bit on it. Somewhere on this site is a discussion of down pressure kits for augers. I'm sure with enough down pressure you can make an auger go into the ground. A smaller diameter bit should work better as well in hard ground.

For 22 holes, I would look to rent and not buy. My experience may not qualify as we just finished hand digging way more than that doing some fencing where we couldn't get the tractor and driver in. Never used the auger at all on that job, it was either hand dig or drive. I much preferred the driver but that's not a small tractor option.

Treefarmer
hey TF.. Thank you for the valuable insight.. I have absolutely been considering the idea of renting vs buying.. There will be many more posts to dig beyond this project but the when's and where's have not been decided.. Just thought I might add that tool to the stable so I'd have it when I need it.. I can continue pondering that.. Good to know an auger can get through tough ground without down pressure.. Its worth a try and renting is probably the way to go for my first attempt.. I friggin' hate digging fence posts by hand.. But it is what it is if an auger just turns out to be more hassle than help when I try it..

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
When we fenced some of our place years ago I bought a PHD to use. It's a cat one but didn't have it on a scut. Don't remember what brand it is and can't get to it right now, but it has a 9" auger and in some of our clay soil it would just spin on top of the ground. Sometimes we would have to wet the spot down good to get it started. Also this PHD has a place for mounting a handle that sticks out a few feet behind the auger that a helper can use to put down-force on the auger. This really helped also, not sure if any nowadays still have this.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,275 Posts
I rented a PHD for my 2210 I had with a 12" auger. Dug right beside my drive, no problems digging. It did hit a 4" pvc pipe and didn't want to go through it. I was glad of that as it was the sewer line. When it hit I just pulled it up to see what it was as I thought it was a rock. Just moved the hole to a different location. It did a great job and I didn't have to do any manual labor.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks boys.. This is the confirmation I was hoping for!..

Reactions: Levi
1 - 8 of 8 Posts