Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I currently only have the 445, 140, and patio, but here are some pictures of my herd at different times.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
How did your 430 make out pushing the snow with no chains? Thats the one thing i am wondering about using it for snow removal with it being 2wd even though we are very flat here.
It was ok unless there was glare ice, then useless.

Chains will go on. They were brand new so i expected to have to trim them, but the extra pieces in the box say they should fit fine.

I added the weight before touchup, then got stuck on what i consider flat ground. Had to pull it out with the 420.

My 420 has a quikway loader, ag tires. 200 lbs rim guard, 200 lbs wheel weights and 300 lbs on the 3 point hitch. Its not very good with ice underneath either. My yard is as flat as possible with drainage as its a low spot. I have cleared 8" of slush with the 420. The area made that slow.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Nice, creative bracket for the weights!! :bigthumb:
It cost just over $12 and took an hour between the lowes trip wandering around finding parts that fit together and building it. Hoefully the oak holds out. 1/4 x2 steel plate was twice as much. I originally thought plywood but that was $3 more for. I didnt have any 1/2 or less on hand. And i figured solid was better getting wet.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Lovin' this thing. :good2: Early model 110. I will restore it later. Right now, it has work to do. :greentractorride:

Runs good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZeGbmY4VyY

View attachment 459274 View attachment 459242
View attachment 459250 View attachment 459258
View attachment 459266

I am the third owner in 53 years; I am grateful that the previous owners respected this tractor and kept the oil clean. :thumbup1gif:

It is not without it's scars from workin'. I'll try not to give it any more.

It tamed my lawn after months of growth and will continue help me keep it in check for a few decades to come.

Good times.
Nice 64

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Hi guys, new JD owner and new to the tractor world. I'm going to retire in the next couple of years and am going to need some projects to keep me busy up in the woods of Vermont. I used to work on cars but they are getting way to expensive so I thought restoring a JD tractor would be doable and fun. I'm an ex Airframe and Powerplant mechanic and Aerospace Engineer so I have the technical background.

So here's my question, which tractor would you choose to restore for a guy new to tractors, has 4-wheel drive, a 3 point hitch, still has parts readily available, has external attachments available, and would be a good usable tractor for garden tilling, snow plowing, tree clearing assistance,...and be fairly inexpensive.

There's so many models and variations, I don't know where to start.

Thanks for your help.

Steve.
Deere does not have any 4wd Vintage garden tractors. the first ones were 2002 x575/x585/x595

GT's are great for everything you want to do except tree work, you really need a compact or subcompact at a minimum

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I'm going to exclude working in the woods too, unless your looking to just carry brush.

https://fiddleheadfocus.com/2017/09/26/news/sj-wallfatal-39-17/

I'd look for a 318, 322, 332, 400, 420, 430. I think most in your area are currently overpriced. If you want a loader I'd plan 2 tractors as those loaders are a half day project to mount or dismount.

If you get a 400/420/430 make sure to only buy a tractor if it has every attachment you want. They are rare. Replacement parts are common.

To have an other attachment capable loader tractor the 425, 445, 455 are your only options pre 2002.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I'll add those were chosen for power steering. If you are willing to go manual there are many more capable options.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
How's it run with the Honda power? Does it have enough torque?
Did I see this machine for sale currently?

Steve.
that user has not logged in since 2014.

Pretty much all repowers have as much if not more power then the original motors.

the honda should be a 23hp, and since torque is a function of HP and RPM it would have about 30% more power at full throttle, yes it may drop off faster as rpm's drop, but that shouldn't be an issue. Just raise the throttle to have enough to do the job, if its bogging at under full throttle you are also generating more heat then the engine can dissipate,

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Thanks X750 for the pics of the bucket level rod!

The 430 / Loader did a little work today topping off the coal bin. :greentractorride:

Started right up after powering the block heater for about 30 minutes and using the heat gun on the air intake. :good2:

Just tall enough to dump into the bin!

View attachment 537786

Almost full....

View attachment 537794

Got done before the sun warmed the mud enough to get messy and back in the pole barn!

View attachment 537802
In MD that 430 shouldn’t need any help starting. In the 20’s it should fire off like summer.

Reactions: Titleist1

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
That connection point pic of the rod is what i needed, thanks.

I forget exactly what my home made cement slugs weigh but I think it totaled about 250lbs including the weight box. I can't remember what each wheel weighs but I also have the rears filled as much as possible with antifreeze fluid mix.

I have 4 suitcase weights to add when i get a bracket welded onto that weight box. It hasn't been unstable for how i use it but i am still careful even on our mostly flat ground.
All added up I’m near 850lbs including operator on my 420 loader. If I’m lifting over 400 lbs I like to add a couple hundred more. It will do it as is, if I lift and move on level surfaces.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
You will want that exhaust snorkel in the winter. JD moved it to the side because the front discharge makes snow stick in the snowblower.

As for a bagger, there was a rear mounted option I think it was made by track vac.

I don’t think a 50” deck from a 420 would be an option. The front of a 400 is wider.

Reactions: Calli74
1 - 16 of 16 Posts