Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
It was brought up today on Glenn Beck. Someone called in to say his FIL got an internal memo stating that starting early next year, the Urea that is in the DEF fluid is cannot be mined fast enough to keep up with the demand. Glenn and his staff were going to look into it. I normally get mine at Walmart but after searching 3 of them, I end up at the Ford dealer where its about $6 more per 2.5 gallons. Ford's makes theirs in Canada. Not sure where the stuff at Walmart comes from.

Reactions: driveshaft

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah not this crap again 馃槚

Just like toilet paper. If the &%#@ news hadn't said a word about a "potential" shortage then people wouldn't have rushed out in a panic and bought all the remaining stock and everything would have most likely been fine.
well actually they had been reporting it for a few weeks about china and s. Korea.

Registered
... the Urea that is in the DEF fluid is cannot be mined fast enough to keep up with the demand. ...
How can that be, we supposedly have a major trucking shortage, and ships are parked out at sea for weeks at a time unable to offload their cargo so they aren't zipping across the ocean as much. Not many diesel cars to speak of either. Who is using all the DEF?

Registered
I guess all those new tractor owners with more than 50 HP.....LOL

Super Moderator
No mention of a DEF issue in North America but....

Perhaps people are thinking this problem will spread?

Registered
I don't have a diesel requiring def, but does it not run without it, or does something like light a light and continue to run?
It's programmed to require def to run, won't run without it.

Registered
ECU programming will put vehicles in an almost inoperable limp mode without DEF in the tank. Newer vehicles even haze analyzers that determine the concentration in the tank so no longer can people use distilled water only.

Registered
So where does this wonderful chemical (defjb) come From..?

Same place where the Lithium mines are ..?

All this greenness is gonna make someone rich....huh?

Registered
It's urea and distilled water. Has been used as an exhaust treatment system in refineries, chemical plants, and power plants for 30+ years.

It can be made domestically as well as imported.

Registered
Trivia...
On an Australian forum I follow they are so low on addative a lot of there trucking industry will be shut down without the stuff... Trucks have a tank and sensor in the tank.. If the sensor is not satisfied, computer will shut down the truck.. They seem almost exclusively dependant on China for the additive.. Supposedly China is being a jerk saying "we need it"...

A lot of outback trucking and ag equipment doesn not use it.. A lot of shippers are trying to leese, buy outback trucks to keep goods moving, but will the greenies let them use that equipment in the more "civilized" areas.. ??

With the shortage and greenie hard line in the sand, there will be problems likely..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
from one of the articles I read a while back "
Urea is mainly produced with coal or natural gas as a byproduct of industrial ammonia production. The recent rise of natural gas prices has caused a slowdown in urea production. Along with the increased cost of an ingredient, the factories themselves have had to cut output due to electricity rationing in the world鈥檚 largest supplier, the People鈥檚 Republic of China."

Registered
...Urea is mainly produced with coal or natural gas as a byproduct of industrial ammonia production. The recent rise of natural gas prices has caused a slowdown in urea production.
Mostly NG in US based operations and hardly any from coal internationally outside of China, who does produce about one third of the worlds urea supply. China is in the process of reducing coal usage though. Based on price index, current NG prices are inline with where it would have been on a 5 year curve.

Most of demand increase for urea over the past two years has been in agricultural fertilizer internationally. We've been hearing this all year from our local co-op and pre-purchased our 2022 fertilizer for our families farm back in April. So far looking like the right move.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts