Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm on the verge of purchasing a 1025R TLB, but have a few reservations that I hope people here can help.

I have 6.5 acres. About 1/2 is grass and 1/2 is weeds (used to be farm land). All flat as a pancake (but some places are bumpy/rough riding).

As it is now, I keep up the grass 1/2 with a 50" Troybuilt zero-turn that, by the time I get done cutting everything over a few days (front drive, front yard, back yard, side lot), it's almost time to start again. And it's rough riding and beats me up.

The other 1/2, I let go every year and borrow the in-laws JD790 with a rotary blade and cut it down (just finished this week).

My goal is to keep the 1/2 weeds cut year-round (grass is slowly taking over so keeping it cut should help it spread) along with my regular "yard grass". So I was looking at the 1025R TLB with the 60D MMM. I'm looking to shorten my time cutting so I can maintain all 6.5 acres all year.

All except the back yard has few, if any, obstacles at all to cut around. Wide open fields with long-straight paths.

We have a tree line that needs maintaining so the loader will come in handy for that and many other tasks and the backhoe will be great for doing some landscaping, tree planing, stump digging, drainage/trenching and I may even finally make that small pond in the back yard!

So, my biggest concern is if the 60D MMM will do what I want as far as maintaining the lawn (and can I get rid of the zero-turn)? This will be it's primary role.

Secondly, will the backhoe reach high enough to dump into a small side-by-side OHV?

I have lots of other questions, but these two have the most weight right now...

(I have pics of the land if it helps).

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
:wgtt:

The 60D will not cut as nicely as your zero turn, but it will do a good job. The hoe has about a 7' reach if I recall properly so it should get into a side by side with no problems.

If you haven't, go check out Tractor Time with Tim on YouTube. His channel is devoted to the JD 1 series and you can see exactly what they're capable of. :good2:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Nothing beats the snot out of you like a zero turn in my opinion, the tractor will be somewhat smoother. Huge bonus with having a tractor is if the rough spots are simply to rough, you can fix them. Can't do much except mow with a z-turn. The zturns are a dedicated mowing machine so I would expect a nicer cut quality. With a tractor your getting a little bit of everything so sacrificing a great cut from a zturn with a good cut from a tractor seems to make sense to me.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm with 56FordGuy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
With respect to loading the UTV bed, I bought a Ranger 400 midsize for that purpose. Have many other uses for it, but I did want the capability to dump into the bed, then carry the spoils away.

It will indeed do that, BUT the BH is so short and the radius limited so that it is very difficult to get the bed of the UTV oriented so 1) you can dump directly into it AND 2) stay out of the way of whre you are digging.

I gave up. I dig the hole, trench, etc, then use the FEL to dump into the bed and carry it off.

Wanted that thing to be my little dump truck, but didn't work out.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
With respect to loading the UTV bed, I bought a Ranger 400 midsize for that purpose. Have many other uses for it, but I did want the capability to dump into the bed, then carry the spoils away.

It will indeed do that, BUT the BH is so short and the radius limited so that it is very difficult to get the bed of the UTV oriented so 1) you can dump directly into it AND 2) stay out of the way of whre you are digging.

I gave up. I dig the hole, trench, etc, then use the FEL to dump into the bed and carry it off.

Wanted that thing to be my little dump truck, but didn't work out.
This is where I would think a wagon like Levi's would be dang handy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. That's a lot of responses.! :bigthumb:

My lawn is not Home and Gardens. So, it doesn't need to appear finely manicured. Just need it cut so it looks like someone lives here. :laugh:

But I've become concerned with some on the threads on there that the MMM might not be all that great?

I've looked for photos and videos of grass cutting and have mostly only found where they show cutting down overgrown fields, etc. Not anything really good for just cutting a regular old lawn and what it looks like afterwards. If there is something like this I've missed, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Wow. That's a lot of responses.! :bigthumb:

My lawn is not Home and Gardens. So, it doesn't need to appear finely manicured. Just need it cut so it looks like someone lives here. :laugh:

But I've become concerned with some on the threads on there that the MMM might not be all that great?

I've looked for photos and videos of grass cutting and have mostly only found where they show cutting down overgrown fields, etc. Not anything really good for just cutting a regular old lawn and what it looks like afterwards. If there is something like this I've missed, please let me know.
The cut quality on these mowers are perfectly fine for 95% of homeowners however those who put great care into their lawn and want professional results most likely would not be satisfied with the cut quality from dang near any tractor. I have had the mid mount mowers and personally, I am happier with the cut quality from a rear 3 point mounted finishing mower with rear discharge. I was ecstatic to have saved a couple grand with buying it over another mmm.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What finishing mowers (the wider/faster the better) work well with the 1025R?

The more I read and watch, I'm leaning towards just a 1025R with FIL and 3-point finish mower...
If your one to cut the grass regularly and not allowing it to get 10"+ before mowing, I would put a 72" cut on it with a rear discharge. If there are times the lawn may get a bit jungle like, a 60" would probably be best.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If you are trying to obtain a reel mower length lawn, nope you won't be happy. I mow mine 4 to 5 inches. Helps with weeds. Doesn't burn, more seat time.
Buy the TLB... if you can afford the 2038 TLB go for it. Smooth the lawn and keep the zero turn. Wish I had the wherewithal for that gal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are trying to obtain a reel mower length lawn, nope you won't be happy. I mow mine 4 to 5 inches. Helps with weeds. Doesn't burn, more seat time.
Buy the TLB... if you can afford the 2038 TLB go for it. Smooth the lawn and keep the zero turn. Wish I had the wherewithal for that gal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I tend to cut high. I think I am set on about 3 inches now (about half-way up on the zero-turn).

Are you saying the MMM has to be high or a finish mower?

·
Registered
837 Posts
It sounds like your property is just like mine. Except the half I don't mow was an old fernery. I have the auto 60" mmm and I mow bahia grass with it and it works perfectly for me. I like that I can just take it off when I'm done and stand it against a wall in my shop after washing it off. I used the loader when we first moved here about 18 months ago to fill in all of the low spots and the bahia has filled in. It takes me about 3 - 4 hours to mow depending on how much I seat time I need that week. I too am digging a pond in the back part of the property. Good luck.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The zero turn is a faster cutting machine. Doubt you will save anytime with the tractor. As mentioned with a tractor you can haul a drum around and smooth out the bumps. And spread and level dirt with the loader. Then you will have a smoother ride on your Toro.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts