Green Tractor Talk banner

Potential new 2025R owner

9K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  PJR832 
#1 ·
In the process of picking a new SCUT and think I have my choice limited down to the 2025R.

Now I know better than to stop into a JD forum and ask should I buy something else. My question is more, what mods or implements should I consider and am I over-reaching with the 2025 and not going the cheap route with the 1025.

I've heard the 2025 referred to as a 1025XL and really agree with this name, as it really is. Specs wise, I realize the bigger rear tires and the upgraded frame - but in reality is there any other difference in the 2 (2018 specs wise)? Obviously ground clearance and weight capacity are GOOD things to have on a tractor - especially one that is going to be used in pasture/hillsides and not mowing the yard only.

Given my use for the foreseeable future is going to be light duty around our 40 acres - I think the 2025 is the minimum I can probably get by with. Mowing with a 5' brush hog is probably going to be a 5-6x yearly job for 10-15 acres, possibly putting in a small garden and some clean up duties and clearing out a few old stumps as well are planned for next year - might even get around to cleaning up a few older springs with the BH and getting things ready for livestock. Later on we will be setting fence post with it and pulling out some larger limbs from the wooded areas.

So what mods or upgrades should I plan on adding later and what should I be doing now? Going for TLB package - and immediate think I should put a thumb on. Since property is fairly hilly - also feel additional ballast is needed - filling the wheels. Been reading up on wheel spacers and considering that. Finally, going with a quick-hitch to start, but the more I read the more I am drawn to a non Deere QH - a couple of suppliers including one mentioned here seem to be on par quality wise and even includes everything I need in the package.

Also, a question on the MMM - i am skipping it for now...I do not think it would be used as much (I have a mower for yard duty already) - and seems to be quite a few offered virtually new for much less than it would cost to add now. Are all the drive over decks compatible with the new 2025 - what about the older non drive over's - can they be retrofitted somehow?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Well if You Talk to the designers It is a True Small Frame compact is what it was Intended to Be Not a Deluxe Sub Compact. Beside frame and Tires It also Uses a Different Rear Transmission and axle Carrier Meaning it Can actually Pull More weight Than a 1 series which Is what a Tractor is really designed for.

What it actually shares with the 1 series, Front Axle, Engine and Drivers Position Layout and the Backhoe and Loader as well.

The Loader has a Bit More Lift Capacity on the 2025R as well.

The 260B & the 270B actually Have the same specs The Only difference Is the weight Because of the way they Mount to the Tractor. So that covers the 1 & 2R series. Don't really get different specs & performance until you go to the 3E or 3R series Backhoe's

I bet if the 2025R didn't share the same Backhoe and Loader as the 1 series It wouldn't Have it's reputation as a Deluxe 1 series. Because it truly it'd own tractor and Not a deluxe 1 series.

The 2025R will handle all that You Plan for it.

But I would say for 40 acres I would Look at a 3E(backhoe Compatible as of 2019) or 4M series(BTW the 4M Can Now Take a walk On and Walk Off Loader as there In a Valve Kit for it to use a On Board Joystick non Loader Mounted Joystick) If Price is what Your Looking For

I have 3.9 acres where My House Is and another 18 acres about 2.5 Hrs west of where I live that the 2025R Maintains :bigthumb:

#3 ·
I would echo what Sergeant said about the 3 series. My opinion is that these sub-compact/compact 2 series tractors are really a bit expensive for what you get, sometimes. I love my 2025R Classic (1st Gen), but for a larger property, I guess I'd be looking bigger, simply for the bushhog work.

For example, there is a local independent shop in my area that deals mostly with JD. He has a 3320 tractor with 500 hours on it. Its in beautiful shape and he's asking $16.5K. That is SO much more tractor. yeah, its a few years old, but 33HP, power reverser, 3-ranges, 4x4, FEL included....

Of course, if you're set on a backhoe, that might limit things a bit...or really get into a whole 'nuther price realm.:gizmo:

In my very limited experience of playing with my tractor (60 hours of horsing around and use this past year on 3 acres), from what you're describing, I'd be looking for more machine. And, i'm on a 2025R Classic, which I could almost argue is a little bit more machine in certain aspects than the current Gen2 2025R. Not knocking the new ones...I'm just a little biased to the Classic.

:cheers:

Reactions: rtgt
#4 ·
So you say light duty on 10-15 acres, is it safe to assume the other 25-30 is not going to maintained? If so, the 2025 can handle 10-15 acres like a walk in the park. But, I'm going to agree with others that you may actually want to consider a larger tractor, what is now not maintained might become maintained in the future once you realize how handy a tractor can really be. Others on here have said, look at the tractor that you think will do the job and buy one size bigger. I, just one year ago went through this. I originally bought a 1023E with only a few simple tasks in mind and then traded up to the 2025R, I had no need to go much bigger simply because I have larger AG tractors at my disposal. But the point is, go a little bigger, you'll find way more things to do with your tractor than you ever imagined.

Reactions: rtgt and jdforever
#5 ·
In the process of picking a new SCUT and think I have my choice limited down to the 2025R.

Now I know better than to stop into a JD forum and ask should I buy something else. My question is more, what mods or implements should I consider and am I over-reaching with the 2025 and not going the cheap route with the 1025.

I've heard the 2025 referred to as a 1025XL and really agree with this name, as it really is. Specs wise, I realize the bigger rear tires and the upgraded frame - but in reality is there any other difference in the 2 (2018 specs wise)? Obviously ground clearance and weight capacity are GOOD things to have on a tractor - especially one that is going to be used in pasture/hillsides and not mowing the yard only.

Given my use for the foreseeable future is going to be light duty around our 40 acres - I think the 2025 is the minimum I can probably get by with.
Mowing with a 5' brush hog is probably going to be a 5-6x yearly job for 10-15 acres, possibly putting in a small garden and some clean up duties and clearing out a few old stumps as well are planned for next year - might even get around to cleaning up a few older springs with the BH and getting things ready for livestock. Later on we will be setting fence post with it and pulling out some larger limbs from the wooded areas.

So what mods or upgrades should I plan on adding later and what should I be doing now? Going for TLB package - and immediate think I should put a thumb on. Since property is fairly hilly - also feel additional ballast is needed - filling the wheels. Been reading up on wheel spacers and considering that. Finally, going with a quick-hitch to start, but the more I read the more I am drawn to a non Deere QH - a couple of suppliers including one mentioned here seem to be on par quality wise and even includes everything I need in the package.

Also, a question on the MMM - i am skipping it for now...I do not think it would be used as much (I have a mower for yard duty already) - and seems to be quite a few offered virtually new for much less than it would cost to add now. Are all the drive over decks compatible with the new 2025 - what about the older non drive over's - can they be retrofitted somehow?
Referring to what I highlighted in bold text above - from my experience and from reading many many stories here on our forum over the years, this is NOT the way to look at a tractor. Trying to get away what you think would be the absolute minimum will leave you wanting - and looking to upgrade in a very short time.

The proper way to size a tractor is to first assess what work needs done. Then - you size the implements to the job. And lastly - you choose the proper tractor to run said implements.

#6 ·
Good choice. When my 4010 blew away its leading drive Ujoint after 660 hours and 9 years, the sales person talked me into a 1025R. Bad choice. Need dual brakes and the extra ground clearance in hills/brush. Plus, the 1025R was a lemon. Went back to a 2 series 2025R (the 4010 = 2019E).

Never had TLB. Put all my implements except back blade on dollies. Haven't needed QH. Need one or the other.

Never had a MMM. Not enough maneuverability to do our lawn with it. Just use self drive walk behinds, one an old 14SB.

The 2025R will do a 5' hog. Got a 4' one because I need to go into tight spots, and that overhang out the back with the 5' would be a problem.

Definitely fill the rear tires. The dealership will likely automatically do this unless you buy a rear ballast for the 3 ph. Spreading the wheels to match the width of your 5' hog would be a good idea. I went up on only 3 wheels on the 4010 quite a few times, and more stability on hills would make you more comfortable.

Did this on both the 4010 and the 2025R: moved the rear lights to inside the ROPS. All it takes is to bash out one of those lights, and you're cured of having them outboard. An easy thing to do.

Get the R4 tires. Had turf on the 4010. Not tough enough for loader work but grip far better on turns than R4s. Just use the turning brakes with the R4s.

Ralph

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice.

My biggest concern is I read so many post of "had a 1023/1025 - upgraded to a 2025" - but honestly do not see many 2025 owners upgrading.

Could be that buyers looking at a 2 series bought the right unit to begin with - could be that few needed the extra weight/HP.

Could I use a bigger tractor occasionally - probably. Would it be wasted 90% of the time - probably. The few occasions where something bigger is needed I have neighbors. Its really a bit of a trade off - trading off a bigger unit for a smaller unit with backhoe. At this point the hoe adds more value to my needs than a larger tractor. Will it take longer to do things, yes - but also not as if it will be used daily.

Worst case, I also think resale on the smaller sized units is easier. More buyers need something small than need something mid-sized.

#11 ·
So i took a good look at them side by side - they are clearly different machines.

First goes to show do not follow everything you see on the internet, check and verify in person. I wish I would have remembered to bring my magnet with me as I would have checked the rear housing to verify it is aluminum - assuming it is still though.

Aside from the common loader/engine, they are manufactured on the same production line per my reading. Which might be part of the reason posters report them as being similar. Again, they share SOME components, but not all - and there are alot of differing components too.

Also strongly agree with the thought of not "over reaching" - at some point, you reach get a diminished return on your dollar. After a serious in person review - I think a 1023/25 would simply not be a good match for my needs. If talking perfectly flat land - it might work. But with hills - the need for more clearance and bigger tires is going to be a must have. I don't think i could justify a larger framed tractor need though - this should be very compatible to my needs. To each their own - alot of owners of 1025 out there, most have to be happy - but I could easily forsee myself regretting not paying $30 a month for the bigger unit.

Kind of like the process I went through in buying my Gator - read alot of how superior the full sized Gator was and how I would be unhappy with a 590 - drove both and really did not get the feel that the 590 was 'underpowered" and actually saw an advantage in something smaller being used in the woods. Had it for a while now and happy I went with what I bought - never once have I found myself stuck or underpowered and wanting to go faster. I think it is a nice compliment to using a tractor to access parts of the property. Someday I'll probably opt for a bigger gator - but I am no rush to "upgrade" at this point.

#12 ·
So i took a good look at them side by side - they are clearly different machines.

First goes to show do not follow everything you see on the internet, check and verify in person. I wish I would have remembered to bring my magnet with me as I would have checked the rear housing to verify it is aluminum - assuming it is still though.

Aside from the common loader/engine, they are manufactured on the same production line per my reading. Which might be part of the reason posters report them as being similar. Again, they share SOME components, but not all - and there are alot of differing components too.

Also strongly agree with the thought of not "over reaching" - at some point, you reach get a diminished return on your dollar. After a serious in person review - I think a 1023/25 would simply not be a good match for my needs. If talking perfectly flat land - it might work. But with hills - the need for more clearance and bigger tires is going to be a must have. I don't think i could justify a larger framed tractor need though - this should be very compatible to my needs. To each their own - alot of owners of 1025 out there, most have to be happy - but I could easily forsee myself regretting not paying $30 a month for the bigger unit.
It's good that you went and checked them out personally, I traded my 1023 for a 2025 and couldn't be happier, IMO there is a big difference between the two.

#14 ·
Toymaker,

I have said this before on other threads, I am a very happy owner of a 1025R. It does everything I ask of it and more. Here comes the "but". I traded my 2014 1025R model for a new 2018 1025R last June. Love the tractor, but had I known the 2025R was available with a Mauser cab, I, without a doubt would have bought one. :banghead: I feel the tractor is well worth the $2500 difference. :gizmo:

#15 ·
I'd have to vote with the 3 series group with 40 acres, but that is up to you and what you want to do on it.

You can move a mountain with a teaspoon. It just depends on how much time you want to spend.

Have you looked at the 2032R or 2038R?

Reactions: PJR832
#16 ·
A 3 series was in the mix early on, but had to draw a line in budget somewhere. It was go with tractor loader in a 3 series - or drop down, get a TLB combo. Given I’m not working with it daily - I opted for the smaller unit.

A 2032 was also a SERIOUS consideration - but again, budget. Extra horses are nice, but what I gain is speed in a 2032 is not really needed. I’m not a fan of turbos - and will take the savings and no emissions equipment over extra HP at this time. Can always trade up later if I feel it needed, but for the forseable future this fits my needs.

#17 ·

Given my use for the foreseeable future is going to be light duty around our 40 acres - I think the 2025 is the minimum I can probably get by with. Mowing with a 5' brush hog is probably going to be a 5-6x yearly job for 10-15 acres, possibly putting in a small garden and some clean up duties and clearing out a few old stumps as well are planned for next year - might even get around to cleaning up a few older springs with the BH and getting things ready for livestock. Later on we will be setting fence post with it and pulling out some larger limbs from the wooded areas.

Small garden = tiller
Setting fence posts = post hole digger
Cleaning up wooded areas = grapple

MMM - Have you considered a rear mount finish mower?

Pallet forks might come in handy

A 3 series was in the mix early on, but had to draw a line in budget somewhere. It was go with tractor loader in a 3 series - or drop down, get a TLB combo. Given I’m not working with it daily - I opted for the smaller unit.

A 2032 was also a SERIOUS consideration - but again, budget. Extra horses are nice, but what I gain is speed in a 2032 is not really needed. I’m not a fan of turbos - and will take the savings and no emissions equipment over extra HP at this time. Can always trade up later if I feel it needed, but for the forseable future this fits my needs.
Sounds like you have thought this out pretty well.

So when are you going to pull the trigger? :munch:

We all like new tractors, regardless of the size. You do know that pictures are required as well. :lol:

Reactions: jdforever
#18 · (Edited)
I spoke when I shouldn't have. I got nothing. Couldn't figure out how to delete my post. :knownothing:

Reactions: PJR832
#19 ·
Triggered pulled - photos once it arrives of course. No ETA yet, hopefully will find out later today-tomorrow, but was told not long - likely transfer within the dealer chain from another location.

Implements - I have a post hole digger and finish mower already, just found a tiller online and exchanged emails with seller - sounds like a great deal so emailed to say “I’ll take it”.

Like the idea of pallet forks - probably be a few months, but I see the utility of those. Grapple is a long term plan - other than that I think a thumb for the backhoe and piranha bar for bucket are add on items I’ll opt for. Final long term wish list item 16-18’ trailer - because well - why not.

#20 ·
What did you decide to pull the trigger on? 1025R - 2025R - 2032R :unknown:

#22 ·
2025 is in and prepped at the dealer.

Delivery next week - pics once I get the chance.

This place is great at helping you spend money...showing off all the extras I “need”. At least I’m fortunate enough to have a little spare change to afford them.

Really debating now why didn’t I go for the 2032 (or move up to a 3025e). Then I remember I’m supposed to be on a budget. I think I’ll be happy though - just classic case of rethinking after the fact.

#23 ·
Congrats!!!!! Did you buy any suitcase weights?

#25 ·
Another new 2025R owner here, I took delivery of mine mid February. I had the same thought on stepping up to a 2032R after I had committed to my 2025R. I am probably like many here that will tend to upgrade to the next size fearing you will regret getting something that was not quite big enough.

I am only 8 hours into mine snow blowing and I could not be happier. I don’t think I will have regrets as I have access to a bobcat if I need something larger for the kind of work I intend to do. I am more in the “looking for things to do with it” camp. I considered a 1025R so the 2025R was my upgrade. I have the 2018 2025R TLB with 60” mmm, 5048L box blade, 54” snow blower and the Frontier AV10F forks.

To me a 2025R was an easy decision over the 1025R. There is something to be said about the compact size of 1025R and where it can fit into. I am sure the increased lift capacity is marginal to the 1025R. When I took delivery the dealer and I took off the backhoe and placed it on the BXPanded dolly and lifted it into a shipping container for storage. We only lifted it a foot or so but lifted it. We did, however, lift it from the side which brought the weight of it closer to fork frame. (I did see the video of the 1025R owner that was unable to lift his backhoe on a pallet)

I have R4 tires and dealer is willing to swap out for R3 radials when he gets a set in. Wondering if anyone knows how R3 radials would handle loads/weight vs. R4s. I heard R3 radials may have better snow traction, any truth to that? I did get 60lb wheel weights and have an IMatch with Heavy Hitch weight bracket and am not sure if I will get tires filled.

I have a list of misc items to buy including Ken’s bolt on hooks, Ken’s differential pedal extension, BXPaned thumb and trenching bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar.

I hope you feel like you did the right thing, congrats!

#26 ·
Congrats toymaker, the 2025 is a great tractor. :good2:

Reactions: jdforever
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.