Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be adding another 2 spool valve to the back of my tractor and integrating the one already there into the hydraulic system (finally!) so I will no longer be using the rear SCV to run my top and tilt OR my stump grinder (not both, just one or the other :banghead:) and having to hold the SCV lever to do anything for that matter. As such, I'll be deep into the plumbing and it'd be super easy to add a genuine power beyond circuit to the tractor. The only question is should I or not?

The only real down sides I can think of is that it takes a little real estate, and I'm not sure what I'd use it for. :dunno:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think you are the only one that can really answer that question. If you have the extra $, go for it. If not, then wait till you need it. You can always the $ later.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get it now while the kit(s) are still available. I put a PB kit on my 4200 and have yet to need it.
I'm not sure there is one from JD, and if there was it would probably be obscenely expensive. My 4 extra spools and all associated plumbing cost less than the second rear SCV valve from Deere. :gizmo:

What I'm talking about doing is adding the external loop to the power beyond circuit. All that's needed is a section of hose, two couplers, and a mounting bracket. I can put it between the two additional valves and only add two short hoses to the entire installation. Total cost = $30 or less.

·
Registered
588 Posts
For $30, I’d be on it! It wouldn’t bother me if I ever used it or not. Tractor will probably bring a slightly higher price when you sell or might just seal a deal. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I'm going to be adding another 2 spool valve to the back of my tractor and integrating the one already there into the hydraulic system (finally!) so I will no longer be using the rear SCV to run my top and tilt OR my stump grinder (not both, just one or the other :banghead:) and having to hold the SCV lever to do anything for that matter. As such, I'll be deep into the plumbing and it'd be super easy to add a genuine power beyond circuit to the tractor. The only question is should I or not?

The only real down sides I can think of is that it takes a little real estate, and I'm not sure what I'd use it for. :dunno:
For $30 and not having to hold/bungee your SCV lever ... I think you already answered your own question. Go for it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I won't have to hold my SCV lever for the other functions anymore anyway.

What would I end up with that would need a power beyond circuit? That's what I'm really asking.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
OK everyone, we need to come up with an implement for Jim to use to justify adding a PB circuit on his tractor.

He's already given good reasons why a log splitter and backhoe aren't candidates.

OK, how about a homemade vibratory rock screen separator? :dunno:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’ve been using my power beyond for my backhoe and wood chipper. I installed pb initially for the backhoe, but then added the chipper later. Who knows what the future might hand you or what you might need. Put ‘r on & get ‘r dun!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ended up putting the power beyond between the two additional valves. Made it super easy and cost all of one pair of couplers. :thumbup1gif:

20180513_200250[1].jpg

What I hadn't thought about, was that this could be implemented to run a solenoid valve on my skidding winch via remote control. So now I need to convert my FX85 to use a hydraulic cylinder to engage the clutch and buy a remote to activate that. :lol:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Between the new neighbor's thinking they can have a meth house on my block and get away with it (I reported this one which lead to two arrests and recovery of a stolen car :nunu: ), and my neck being mad at me for some reason (feels like I have an ice pick stuck in my trapezius at the base of my neck/shoulder junction), my progress has been painfully slow (literally).

Got my hose ends from Grainger yesterday, got my top link QC bracket made, but not painted, and now we've got more thunderstorms so I'm putting things on hold yet again and should at least have the bracket ready to install when the weather clears.

20180524_020537[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Grainger lady goofed and gave me -10 hose ends instead of the -8's I need for the main lines. :thumbsdown: So I have to wait until Wed for the correct ones.

The -6's were correct, so I went ahead and finished up the top link QC's. I need to see how the tilt hoses sit when all the way down and will likely even those up so they run nice and tidy.

20180527_190726.jpg

20180527_190842[1].jpg

I need to hit the steel yard for some more materials for the tank drain port manifold I have in mind. I've got lots of 1/2 and 1" aluminum solid, but nothing 1.5" like I want.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I goofed and didn't buy enough hose ends after discovering my plan for routing the drain hose wasn't going to work and I needed to split the line after all. So I'm two ends short of being able to finish things up. I also haven't made my drain manifold yet, but that shouldn't take me too long when I get to it. Final hose ends will be in on Tuesday, and I have platelet rich plasma injections Tuesday; so I'll be taking it easy next week too. :thumbsdown: Oh well, the hard stuff is done.

20180601_170444[1].jpg

I had always anticipated taking the fender off for this, but it wasn't necessary after all. I had the Mrs. hold a hose for me while I threaded the fitting, but that was really the only two-person part of the project.

I had planned on replacing the ORFS fittings on the transmission side with NPT's, but the adapter (the part that the fittings thread into) is M18 metric and I wasn't willing to wait for mailordering the needed components after discovering that. This is where I ran out of hose ends, because I didn't anticipate splitting the factory lines.

It's pretty tight in there!

20180601_153351-1[1].jpg

My dad thought these were stupid the first time I told him about them. I think they've saved my rear at least half a dozen times now between the 3 sizes. Very good use of a 25% off Horrible Freight coupon. IIRC they're under a couple bucks for the set when you drop a discount on them, and well worth it for another trick in the arsenal.

20180601_154047-1[1].jpg

Our Fleet Farms are both sold out of Pioneer Ag female couplers, so I haven't gotten those for the stump grinder's valve yet. I also haven't been to the steel yard to get the materials for making the new right angle brackets. I have the 90's in the lower work ports just to keep the smut out of the valve until I get the brackets done. I need some 1.25" solid bar stock and some 3/4-18 bolts to finish that part up. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts