Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here, hope this is the right place for this.

I have a 19.5HP B & S engine that is just under 2 years old in my JD ride on, and I'm not hugely mechanical.

Lately it has been losing power after about 30 mins when going up slopes, on flat it runs almost normally, but up even mild slopes or with steering on full lock it slows to almost stopped.

Replaced spark plug, air filter and fuel filter, tried a leaded fuel, but no luck.

The mower drive doesn't lose power, just the drive to the wheels.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I can't help but perhaps others can... but more info needed! Please list year & model number, and a little more about what "slows to almost stopped." You stated mower drive doesn't loose power so I'm assuming engine doesn't slow down/loose rpm. Sounds transmission related, maybe belt, tension device, slipping pulleys, or trans itself. Bob

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Your drive belt to the transmission could be stretched and slipping. A lot of mowers have 2 belts. One for the deck and one for the Rear end.

·
Super Moderator
7,100 Posts
Does this mower have a model number?

·
Super Moderator
7,100 Posts
Don't care about the engine model number. What is the model number of the mower?

Reactions: theduke

·
Super Moderator
7,100 Posts
Ok. I give up.

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
The model number of the mower is important because the motor is fine. The model helps define what rear it has and how it is driven.

With this motor installed did it ever work right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The model number of the mower is important because the motor is fine. The model helps define what rear it has and how it is driven.

With this motor installed did it ever work right?
Yeah engine used to work fine.

Got under today for a look and the belt that was mentioned above looks loose.

Now I realise this part is nothing to do with the engine that I assume @JimR was talking about given that it is all part of the original chassis of the Sabre 1642HS.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Thats the info needed I do believe...motor info means zero.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
If the belt from the engine to the transmission looks loose, this is probably your issue.

Climb under again and put ONE finger on the belt and pull. You should have no more than 1/2" of movement/deflection in belt. As you pull, also watch tension pully with spring. If this moves easily with finger pressure, this may also be your issue.

Check things out and report back before buying any replacement parts! Bob

Reactions: Dububee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the belt from the engine to the transmission looks loose, this is probably your issue.

Climb under again and put ONE finger on the belt and pull. You should have no more than 1/2" of movement/deflection in belt. As you pull, also watch tension pully with spring. If this moves easily with finger pressure, this may also be your issue.

Check things out and report back before buying any replacement parts! Bob
Cheers for that, be a few days now before I get a chance to get back under it (stupid work) but it definitely looked more than that in terms of movement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.