Green Tractor Talk banner

Power steering detached itself

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BOBL 
#1 ·
Greetings

I didn't expect top be back so soon after my last issue. But the new power steering cylinder (latest version) just detached it self at the wheel end. Basically the nut which holds the power steering connected to the wheel dropped off ! This is about a month after a new cylinder was installed by the dealer.

It is not the same thread size as the old cylinder - life could never be that easy !

Anybody know the thread and nut size (plus should there be a washer etc) - I've looked at exploded parts diagrams but I can't find what thread the bolt is ! I need to know because I will need a tap/die to make sure the damaged thread is usable.

Hope everybody is happy and healthy

#3 ·
Even if the tractor is out of warranty, the dealer should warranty their parts and labor for x amount of time. I'd be calling them on Monday.

But, if you need the tractor like RIGHT NOW then waiting til Monday ain't much help. Document the failure with lots of photos then do what you gotta do to get it back in service. You might need to remove the cylinder and take it to the hardware store with you to find the correct nut. They should have a thread gauge there that you can use for this purpose.

#5 ·
Take the nut off the other end to use to determine thread size if Farmer52’s info doesn’t work.

#8 ·
Typical hacks working on stuff that have no business working on things.

#9 ·
I looked at the PC, there is no pin in either the early or later models. However in the earlier models the nut is a locking nut LVU24182 (M14X1.5 GR10 ESNA LOW HEIGHT). You many want to remove the remaining nut and take it with you to the dealer. Perhaps they will have a locking nut. Either way, put a cotter pin in the hole to keep from losing the nut.

Reactions: kylew
#11 ·
This is the correct way to fix the problem. You can get the correct size and type at HD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.