Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1023e in which I had to replace a line coming from the rear up to the steering valve at the base of my steering shaft,I have never regained my power steering since,I have bled the air from the system I’ve even replaced the steering valve which wasn’t cheap,please help I’m at my witts end with this situation.
All other hydraulics work as they should,my local dealer has been no help….PLEASE HELP!!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I have a 1023e in which I had to replace a line coming from the rear up to the steering valve at the base of my steering shaft,I have never regained my power steering since,I have bled the air from the system I’ve even replaced the steering valve which wasn’t cheap,please help I’m at my witts end with this situation.
All other hydraulics work as they should,my local dealer has been no help….PLEASE HELP!!
Have you confirmed that you have flow to the steering valve? Implement functions are separate, so the fact that they work fine isn't an indication that you have flow.

My guess is that you have some sort of obstruction in that line since changing the valve didn't remedy.

When you say you have lost all power steering, does that mean that it's the same when the tractor is off as when it's running? If you are driving it, I suspect that you have some power steering, but it's just not what it should be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears that I have lost all the power assist,I do have flow coming all the way to the steering cylinder, I have even checked my cylinder by disconnecting both lines and applying air and cylinder steers to the RT and LT as it should

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,646 Posts
Implement function is separate but they do operate from the same pump correct?
Yes, there is only one pump and it runs everything hydraulic including the drive train.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,646 Posts
Have you tried to jack up the front end and see if there is any steering from the cylinder without any weight on the front tires with the tractor running?

Are there any other issues which aren't correct?

Please tell the story of why you had to replace the steel line, like what happened and how with details, it might help solve your issue. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Yes, use same pump, but it splits at a manifold under the seat.

You have hydraulic steering which doesn't have "power assist" like you might think of in a car. In a car, you have a mechanical linkage like a rack and pinion or worm gear/pittman arm that does the steering and the hydraulics "assist". This means you can still steer without the hydraulics, but it's harder. With your tractor, the steering is purely hydraulic, so if there is no flow, you are actually using the steering wheel to turn the gerotor which pumps a small amount of fluid and makes the wheels turn, but you really can't operate the tractor without some fluid flow from the pump going into the orbitrol and then the steering cylinder.

Because of this, you really need a flow meter and pressure gauge to troubleshoot. Do you have one or both of those? There are some things you could do, but you would be purely guessing on whether the result was ok or a problem.

By using air to operate the cylinder, that probably takes it out of the equation, but if the seals in the cylinder are bad and are allowing leakage from one side to the other, it could still be a factor. That would most likely cause it to steer one way better than the other, so I don't think that's going to be the issue, but if everything else checks out, I would have a look at it.

Replacing the Orbital control valve should also take it out of the equation.

That leaves an obstruction between the PTO Valve or something wrong that isn't allowing flow to go to the steering circuit. You could take that off and see if you can see anything. This video will show you how to remove the PTO Valve and give you some insight into what is inside of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried to jack up the front end and see if there is any steering from the cylinder without any weight on the front tires with the tractor running?

Are there any other issues which aren't correct?

Please tell the story of why you had to replace the steel line, like what happened and how with details, it might help solve your issue. Thanks.
The line was replaced because something had rubbed it and it begin leaking,the cylinder steers it just seams like there’s no power assist to it,I have jacke it up and it steers the same just no power assist

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.