Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been nosing around, looking at various models of tractors in the 40-50hp range as I would like the option of going to a disc mower eventually. I have been haying with my 955 and I have so far made over 400 bales this season with it, but it sometimes feels like I am pulling a train with a VW beetle..(it can be done, but there's little good for the 955 in the future). So in my looking around I like Deere tractors, but there seem to be terrible problems with new tractors. My strawberry farming neighbor up the street told me all about a 2018 JD 2038R for sale nearby, but at the same time telling me about all the problems he had with a new 4 series he just bought(new engine, tranny, etc, etc.) yes all under warranty but..

so to cut (pun) to the chase, what model Deere in the 40-50hp range would you recommend for working a 65 acre farm? I know I want 4wd, hydro, loader; after that I want reliability, repairability and ease of use(compact). Any thoughts on this? I just as soon have a simple workhorse with 1000-2000 hours on it than a new all digital wonder who's married to the JD repairman.

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
23,569 Posts
I have been nosing around, looking at various models of tractors in the 40-50hp range as I would like the option of going to a disc mower eventually. I have been haying with my 955 and I have so far made over 400 bales this season with it, but it sometimes feels like I am pulling a train with a VW beetle..(it can be done, but there's little good for the 955 in the future). So in my looking around I like Deere tractors, but there seem to be terrible problems with new tractors. My strawberry farming neighbor up the street told me all about a 2018 JD 2038R for sale nearby, but at the same time telling me about all the problems he had with a new 4 series he just bought(new engine, tranny, etc, etc.) yes all under warranty but..

so to cut (pun) to the chase, what model Deere in the 40-50hp range would you recommend for working a 65 acre farm? I know I want 4wd, hydro, loader; after that I want reliability, repairability and ease of use(compact). Any thoughts on this? I just as soon have a simple workhorse with 1000-2000 hours on it than a new all digital wonder who's married to the JD repairman.
In that case start looking at 20 year old tractors that have been well maintained. Not only will you be getting a “simple” machine which is easy to work on you will save many thousands of dollars.

Which brings up the thought - you won’t be getting a hydro with a 20 year old machine most likely. Why do you want a hydro machine for field work?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Sorry to hear about your neighbor and his 4 series problems. I have one of the first 4066R models, a 2014, built in November 2014 and it has been rock solid at over 600 hours. It will definitely do what you want to do. I have the cab and hydro. I mow my yard with a 110 inch RFM and use a 10ft Rhino brush hog for the big stuff. It handles both with no issues. It has R4 tires, but for your use, you probably should consider R1 Ag tires. One big advantage of the 4 series over the smaller tractors is that it has a cast iron rear axle instead of aluminum. I have no problem in handling big round bales of hay with it and will be doing that shortly. Be sure and get 4th and 5th SCV's on the rear. I have those but not the 3rd SCV. One is in use constantly for my hyd top link. The other is used in the winter for my hyd angle 8ft rear blade. In my opinion a 4 series should be the smallest you consider. Maybe even a 5 series, but you lose the hydro then and I would not want to be without it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i personally cant imagine hydro for a field tractor....

seems like to me if you can get the job done with a 955......then anything with more HP and # should be better

any kind of disc mower is going to require more of both......and i think in the more modern tractors your looking at a large 4...or small 5 series level machines...

i have had good luck with a 4500 in the past (sickle mowing/raking/24t baleing) ...but i hooked it up to a drum mower and it HPer'd it fine but weight wise more was needed and its weighs almost twice the weight of the 955......more hp in a 4 size would be maybe a 4720 but still short on weight...and yes you can find the 4s with hydro

but i think you need a 5 size like a 5055e (5000# bare tractor) minimum ....or age that series back like a 5225 ....but the hydro goes away

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

This is the big ?

I'm still at odds as to what to add to my fleet....The 955 is great and I'm keeping mine for life.
I need something bigger and its looking like late 80's...perhaps into the early 2000's.
Something thats 4000 lb.'s +....I prefer a hydro but I got No flat ground is why ( and no haying in my future)
Let me know if you find the answer..I'm still in the hunt...No computer/No Emissions is whats in the budget.

Although I'm warming up to this new stuff....but prefer no payments @ this stage of the game.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Disc mower

If you are contemplating a disc mower you will definitely want some weight. We mostly ran ours with an IH784 which was a good match. The shipping weight on the 784 is 6,200 lbs. Ballasted weight between 9,000 and 10,000. Last year we used a Kubota M6800, shipping weight 5,055 and operating around 6,000.

We could definitely tell the difference when the mower was off the ground even a little bit. The Kubota was fine running the mower but you felt any shift quite a bit more and we have mostly flat ground. If you are going to run a disc mower on any hillside ground, go for more weight than you think you need.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
14,144 Posts
i personally cant imagine hydro for a field tractor....

seems like to me if you can get the job done with a 955......then anything with more HP and # should be better

any kind of disc mower is going to require more of both......and i think in the more modern tractors your looking at a large 4...or small 5 series level machines...

i have had good luck with a 4500 in the past (sickle mowing/raking/24t baleing) ...but i hooked it up to a drum mower and it HPer'd it fine but weight wise more was needed and its weighs almost twice the weight of the 955......more hp in a 4 size would be maybe a 4720 but still short on weight...and yes you can find the 4s with hydro

but i think you need a 5 size like a 5055e (5000# bare tractor) minimum ....or age that series back like a 5225 ....but the hydro goes away
Copy that, hydro's are great for some things, especially FEL work, I would not want to do serious field work with a hydro.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hydro or not..How about the 3720?

Copy that, hydro's are great for some things, especially FEL work, I would not want to do serious field work with a hydro.
I turn a compost pile and my field work is only 15 acres, so I am happy to use a hydro. I am interested in a Deere 3720, thinking that a 2011-2013 model would not have the diesel super exhaust cleaner set up, but would have about the right horsepower(44hp). Any feedback on the 3720?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Weight issues

If you are contemplating a disc mower you will definitely want some weight. We mostly ran ours with an IH784 which was a good match. The shipping weight on the 784 is 6,200 lbs. Ballasted weight between 9,000 and 10,000. Last year we used a Kubota M6800, shipping weight 5,055 and operating around 6,000.

We could definitely tell the difference when the mower was off the ground even a little bit. The Kubota was fine running the mower but you felt any shift quite a bit more and we have mostly flat ground. If you are going to run a disc mower on any hillside ground, go for more weight than you think you need.

Treefarmer
Excellent point. I have been using an Enorossi sicklebar mower, which seems to do a pretty good job on my hayfields ( pretty flat, only about 15 acres). I may well have to pass on the larger, heavier tractor and disc mower, as I am getting older and place a premium on tractors that are lower to the ground! So I am looking at the 3720 as a possibility.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I think you need to consider weight more than HP for the disc mower. Another thing to consider is that the HP usually stated on these smaller tractors is engine HP. More important to you for the disc mower is the PTO HP. For example, my 4066R is rated at 66 HP and that is what you hear referred to for the most part. However, it only has 52 PTO HP. That is a considerable difference, but is plenty for what you want to do. I was not able to determine the PTO HP for a 3720, but a 3046R with similar engine HP only has 34 PTO HP. I just do not believe that a 3 series has the HP to do what you want to do, plus does not have the weight. At a minimum, my opinion is that you need at least the highest HP 4 series or a 5 series (no hydro) with at least as much PTO HP as the highest 4 series. I would have no problems with my 4066R doing what you are wanting to do, but I might want to go with R1 ag tires and maybe filled tires with wheel weights.

Dave

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the 4044R, 4052R and 4066R are all available with the PowrReverser gear transmission. I doubt they’re as common to find on a dealers lot, but they are available.

My open station 4044R with all four R4 tires filled tips the scales at around 6000 lbs. A cab would add another 900 lbs.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I turn a compost pile and my field work is only 15 acres, so I am happy to use a hydro. I am interested in a Deere 3720, thinking that a 2011-2013 model would not have the diesel super exhaust cleaner set up, but would have about the right horsepower(44hp). Any feedback on the 3720?
Sounds like a great way to be married to the repairman. They are not made for continuous heavy duty use, but rather varied speeds and loads.

I would look for a 4120 or 4320 if you want a 20 series. I think the 3 series is a little small/light for haying use.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Excellent point. I have been using an Enorossi sicklebar mower, which seems to do a pretty good job on my hayfields ( pretty flat, only about 15 acres). I may well have to pass on the larger, heavier tractor and disc mower, as I am getting older and place a premium on tractors that are lower to the ground! So I am looking at the 3720 as a possibility.

you can get by the weight issue on the disc mower by using a trailed version......but they are significantly more $ and obviously less nimble than a 3pt version...

you are going thru the quandry most of us have been through ......i run a hobby small hay operation....sickle style mowers just didnt work well in our area on first cuttings and our climate requires some sort of conditioning to get first cuttings dry......so...that left me looking at disbines which in turn forced me to a larger HP tractor.....so i bit the bullet and found me a very nice (expensive) 5105m ......the big difference is the 5105m at the end of the day needs 20-30gal of fuel....the 4500 4-5gal .......so the 4500 gets a lot of use for everything else except when its hot then the ac cab takes precidence :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm..haying is fun!

you can get by the weight issue on the disc mower by using a trailed version......but they are significantly more $ and obviously less nimble than a 3pt version...

you are going thru the quandry most of us have been through ......i run a hobby small hay operation....sickle style mowers just didnt work well in our area on first cuttings and our climate requires some sort of conditioning to get first cuttings dry......so...that left me looking at dicsbines which in turn forced me to a larger HP tractor.....so i bit the bullet and found me a very nice (expensive) 5105m ......the big difference is the 5105m at the end of the day needs 20-30gal of fuel....the 4500 4-5gal .......so the 4500 gets a lot of use for everything else except when its hot then the ac cab takes precidence :)
Okay we have the earliest and driest fields in the immediate area. I can hay typically about 2-3 weeks ahead of my neighbors. I am looking at a smaller compact at about 40-45hp because it will mow, ted, rake and bale with less strain than my 955. (I could prob move a train with a VW but eventually that is a poor idea.). I am currently happy with the sicklebar mower, and tedding twice, then raking seems to be working well hereabouts with a three day haying window. So a hydro, 40-45 hp Deere is what I am looking for, with a loader and an age of around 2013 or whatever precedes the ridiculous emissions systems that came later.

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Okay we have the earliest and driest fields in the immediate area. I can hay typically about 2-3 weeks ahead of my neighbors. I am looking at a smaller compact at about 40-45hp because it will mow, ted, rake and bale with less strain than my 955. (I could prob move a train with a VW but eventually that is a poor idea.). I am currently happy with the sicklebar mower, and tedding twice, then raking seems to be working well hereabouts with a three day haying window. So a hydro, 40-45 hp Deere is what I am looking for, with a loader and an age of around 2013 or whatever precedes the ridiculous emissions systems that came later.
i would look at the 4500-4600-4700 ....then 4510-4610-4710 ...then the 20s IE 4520-4720.....those run from 1999-about 2008ish....good tractors and usually reasonbly priced and no emissions came with good loaders most came with either a power reverser or hystat

once you get into the newer tractors price goes up considerably ....i have a 4500 now but been keeping a look out for a local 47xx for myself...(i have done everything you mentoned with my 4500 (40hp) but i wish i had a tad more HP to work with)

unlike yourself i have the bottom land wettest fields so i am always behind everyone else ...but i have much much better hay in dry years

·
Premium Member
14,144 Posts
Sounds like a great way to be married to the repairman. They are not made for continuous heavy duty use, but rather varied speeds and loads.

I would look for a 4120 or 4320 if you want a 20 series. I think the 3 series is a little small/light for haying use.

you are going thru the quandry most of us have been through ......i run a hobby small hay operation....sickle style mowers just didnt work well in our area on first cuttings and our climate requires some sort of conditioning to get first cuttings dry......so...that left me looking at disbines which in turn forced me to a larger HP tractor.....so i bit the bullet and found me a very nice (expensive) 5105m ......the big difference is the 5105m at the end of the day needs 20-30gal of fuel....the 4500 4-5gal .......so the 4500 gets a lot of use for everything else except when its hot then the ac cab takes precidence :)
Two excellent posts, and very sound advice. :thumbup1gif:

As I stated earlier, I would not want a hydrostatic for serious field work.

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again, Going Sat to look at a 4120...looks pretty good. Yesterday looked at a 07 4720 with 1000 hours. Tire wear was about 50% on R4's, some rust and missing parts. What I would call a somewhat maintained machine. Here's what I am talking about: the snowblower for this tractor goes on the loader frame, is hydraulic driven and costs about $15K alone. It was not part of this purchase as the prev owner transferred it to the new 5066 he was buying from the dealership. I want to be able to blow snow but not in that price range. We will see what the tag comes to on the 4720(waiting for a dealer quote after they repair the tractor.) Does anyone know what snowblower goes on a 4120? I think with 20% more HP than my 955, I should be okay with haying on my limited level field haying.

Attachments

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the 4044R, 4052R and 4066R are all available with the PowrReverser gear transmission. I doubt they’re as common to find on a dealers lot, but they are available.

My open station 4044R with all four R4 tires filled tips the scales at around 6000 lbs. A cab would add another 900 lbs.
You might be a little heavy on your weight. My best estimate of my 4066R Cab and H180 loader is 6000# with 220# of wheel weigts. JD brochure shows 4675# for the cab plus loader. We all know that the actual weight will be more than this weight, but not that much. Maybe 5000# plus the loader. I have never been able to get a confirmation on the weight of the loader, but am estimating it at around 1000#.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
You might be a little heavy on your weight. My best estimate of my 4066R Cab and H180 loader is 6000# with 220# of wheel weigts. JD brochure shows 4675# for the cab plus loader. We all know that the actual weight will be more than this weight, but not that much. Maybe 5000# plus the loader. I have never been able to get a confirmation on the weight of the loader, but am estimating it at around 1000#.

Dave
It was just a guess. The open station tractor is 3770, the 440R loader, I’m not sure but I’ll agree at 1000 lbs. My rear R4 tires hold 60 gallons each of Rim Guard @ 11 lbs/ gal and the front R4’s hold 30 gallons each of a Rim Guard @ 11 lbs/ gal. At least that’s what I was charged to fill them. That totals 6770 lbs. i have no wheel weights.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
It was just a guess. The open station tractor is 3770, the 440R loader, I’m not sure but I’ll agree at 1000 lbs. My rear R4 tires hold 60 gallons each of Rim Guard @ 11 lbs/ gal and the front R4’s hold 30 gallons each of a Rim Guard @ 11 lbs/ gal. At least that’s what I was charged to fill them. That totals 6770 lbs. i have no wheel weights.
Aaah, loaded tires was not mentioned. That is almost 2000# additional weight. Definitely makes a difference. I would be at 8000# if I had that. And most of the year my 1500# 110 inch RFM is on the rear for even more weight.

Dave

Reactions: JDLTG
1 - 20 of 24 Posts