Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it isn't much to offer, but I pray for those who are going through these trying times the winter weather puts on them.
I pray that their power facilities remain intact and functional.
I pray they are able to receive the comfort of warm food and drink they need for survival.
I pray that they all have safe and un-interrupted travel.
I pray that their loved ones are kept safe and sound and not in harms way.
I pray that those who need to venture out in this weather return safely at the end of the day to their families.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know it isn't much to offer, but I pray for those who are going through these trying times the winter weather puts on them.
I pray that their power facilities remain intact and functional.
I pray they are able to receive the comfort of warm food and drink they need for survival.
I pray that they all have safe and un-interrupted travel.
I pray that their loved ones are kept safe and sound and not in harms way.
I pray that those who need to venture out in this weather return safely at the end of the day to their families.
Amen, and also for those who have to go out in it to protect and serve us, along with the firemen and medical personnel.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Sorry for "going Geezer" again, but in the '50's through the 70's this was normal weather around S. New York and it lasted far longer in cold spells AND we got plenty of snow with it. Also most folks didn't have 4WD back then and there was far less btchin' about the weather. I also worked outside most of my life high and low temps (even in the rain and sleet! WOW!:laugh:) Maybe that's why I don't panic when it gets cold and windy or hot and humid...

Just get dressed right and think ahead, we all know it's coming when the days start getting short..:laugh:

·
Registered
84 Posts
-35 wind chill as I type this.
House on top of a hill without any substantial trees for 1 mile.... The furnace is working hard to keep my 7 month old warm.

Maybe I should drop 5k on a cab.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Sorry for "going Geezer" again, but in the '50's through the 70's this was normal weather around S. New York and it lasted far longer in cold spells AND we got plenty of snow with it. Also most folks didn't have 4WD back then and there was far less btchin' about the weather. I also worked outside most of my life high and low temps (even in the rain and sleet! WOW!:laugh:) Maybe that's why I don't panic when it gets cold and windy or hot and humid...

Just get dressed right and think ahead, we all know it's coming when the days start getting short..:laugh:
I have to agree. While not going back quite as far, last winter was just a normal winter around here. The past 10 years or so have been super mild.

Another difference I see from the old times - people seem to have to go somewhere all the time even if the weather is bad. What happened to staying put if the weather and/or roads are bad? I remember when I was running a highway plow truck I would see it every time - snowing so hard I could barely see the bulldog's butt on the hood, but here comes miss mini-van - white or gray color with no lights on - on her way to Wal-Mart. I understand those who have to get to work - employers are not forgiving at all about missing work becuase of weather. I would time my plowing run to have the main road that the commuters would use in the best shape I could when they were going to/from work. But these people who are just out for a ride or something unimportant during a storm drove me nuts. Then it also taxes the emergency responders when they end up upside down in the ditch.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
In my area, we used to get maybe one snow/ice event each winter. It would last a day, and be gone by noon the next day. Last year's ice storms and the cold settling in here now has always been rare, and so many people and communities are not prepared for it. I probably over prepare, but one can never have too many provisions such as firewood, food, water and toilet paper!! After all, it will all get used at some point. :laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I don't much worry about the weather. Get as prepared as possible and deal with it. That's the way I was taught. Besides, you know how us "older" types are. We had to walk to school, 10 miles each way and it was uphill both ways with snow a$$-ole deep. :laugh: But we did have boots to pull on over our shoes that had 4-5 buckles on the front of them. At least they covered up the shoes that had holes in the toes of them. :lol: ... looking back, that was the good ole days! No wonder I like my tractor so much. I like these good ole days better. :thumbup1gif: Back then it was horse and buggy...I'm NOT going back to them ways!!

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
-35 wind chill as I type this.
House on top of a hill without any substantial trees for 1 mile.... The furnace is working hard to keep my 7 month old warm.

Maybe I should drop 5k on a cab.
Pssst! Get a heater in that cab! :lol:

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
I don't much worry about the weather. Get as prepared as possible and deal with it. That's the way I was taught. Besides, you know how us "older" types are. We had to walk to school, 10 miles each way and it was uphill both ways with snow a$$-ole deep. :laugh: But we did have boots to pull on over our shoes that had 4-5 buckles on the front of them. At least they covered up the shoes that had holes in the toes of them. :lol: ... looking back, that was the good ole days! No wonder I like my tractor so much. I like these good ole days better. :thumbup1gif: Back then it was horse and buggy...I'm NOT going back to them ways!!
Oh man - exactly how I remember it!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Was it only 10 miles. It seemed like a lot further. I remember them "old days" too well. I just upgraded to a cab tractor. No going back now.

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,721 Posts
I didn't have to walk 10 miles ,but my older brother (9) and I (6) walked about 1 1/2 miles each way to catch the bus. Yes many mornings the snow was between the knees and the waist.
Yesterday it was a mess around Morgantown, the store manager drove 55 miles to get to work. When he left his house they had 2-3 "of snow, getting to Morgantown , it was strange still had 2-3 " of snow.
The younger workers living 2-3 miles from the store did not show up for work. Several of them could have walked ,,,NOPE! To much like work ,,,I guess!

The manger did let each of them know he had just driven 55 miles to be at work ON TIME.

If not already mentioned ,,
Pray for all the utility workers, being out in this type weather.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Couldn't see the Bulldog's Butt!" Heh, heh, Coaltrain KNOWS!:laugh: I still remember where all the high water valve boxes and manhole rims were! (IF you didn't, you were awakened out of your plowing trance real quick.):laugh:

I also remember putting "strap on's" on my '41 Pontiac business coupe when strap on meant using emergency chains that attached with heavy canvas straps and buckles through the wheels. They went on quick and flew farther than regular chains when they broke. Also, if you ain't laid in slush to put in a "monkey link" then you have missed "winter driving" entirely!:laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts