Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend Roy could use some extra prayers over the next month or so.
He recently lost his father and that triggered a drinking binge on his part.
Roy is 62 and disabled, his father was 85 at the time of his passing.
He called me Saturday morning at 7:00 am and sounded like he was excited, enraged, and badly confused. I had never heard him "go off" in this manner. He claimed some people broke into his house while he was sleeping and put little plastic bags of drugs all over his home. He claimed it was under the rugs, in his food, in the walls, etc...
Roy doesn't do any drugs, so I was suspicious of his behavior and headed right over to his house to calm him down.
When I arrived, he was on the phone with the local Sheriff Dept. telling them the same as he told me. "Hang on, we're on the way" they told him.
While waiting for them to arrive, he was pointing all over, asking me "see that"? I didn't see anything.
When the officers arrived I met them outside and explained his recent loss of his father and that he wasn't coping with that too well, and gave them a heads-up on his drinking binge since the loss, ( 10 cases of beer per month and a gallon of vodka every week ).
EMS was called after they performed a cursory search of everything he was pointing at for them and they agreed with my assessment that he was delusional and in a state of severe depression brought on by his recent loss.
I signed an IVC (involuntary commitment) form and they took him to the hospital for a battery of tests, after which, they placed him in ICU.
I visited him yesterday before Church and they had him sedated. He was resting well, and the head nurse informed me he would be there for a week or so and then transferred to 3rd floor where they have a re-hab facility.
Please take a moment to share a Prayer for him and his well-being.
Thank You,
Bill

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
My friend Roy could use some extra prayers over the next month or so.
Please take a moment to share a Prayer for him and his well-being.
Thank You,
Bill
Done.

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
Prayers sent.

·
Registered
311 Posts
prayers sent and thanks for sharing your concerns.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
Very sad to hear.

Will gladly add him to my prayers.

When you see him, let him know he as friends he has never met pulling for him.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
:pray:ing for him. thanks for the post.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Bill, a real friend never judges another and they don't ignore a crisis because it's "uncomfortable" to be around. Your friend is very fortunate to have you. You very likely saved his life.

Having been in this position myself when helping another, he is probably going to be very unhappy with you when he realizes why he was committed to the hospital and then is headed into rehab. But he will get over it as he works through this issue and once he is thinking clearly again.

Hopefully, he can stop his drinking and remain sober. If he doesn't have anyone else to watch his home while he is away, it might be a good idea to have an alcohol removal visit to his home before he does return.

Your friend Roy is lucky he has such a good friend. Far too often people won't get involved because its unpleasant and uncomfortable plus they fear their friend being upset with them. Just like many things in life, the real challenges and difficult times are unpleasant and many would rather ignore than take action like you did.

In many jurisdictions, if the ambulance staff convinces the patient to voluntarily go to the medical facility to be checked over, the patient can also voluntarily check themselves out of the program when the tough times set in. By Roy's admittance being done under an involuntary committal, he doesn't have the ability to check himself out at his discretion, which really assures he will be in the facility to get the treatment he needs.

Whether your friend realizes it now or not, you did the very best thing for him. Over time, he is likely to realize just how big of a turning point this is for his future. Even if he never does come to that realization, you still did what should have been done.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bill, we're praying for Roy. And you, too.

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
Payers sent for Roy and for yourself .

Thanks for being a great friend.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
You MUST be a good friend, because he called you when he got into a panic. You demonstrated how good a friend you are when you "took charge" of the situation.

My :hi: hat's off to you and :pray: prayers sent to both of you to get through this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts