Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alaska lost two of it's finest today. Sgt. Scott Johnson and Trooper Gabe Rich of the Fairbanks post were shot while investigating a report of domestic violence. This is especially difficult for our family as Sgt. Johnson coached both our sons in High School wrestling and was instrumental in our son Steve becoming a Trooper. Scott would have retired this summer, to spend more time with his children, with 25 years of service. I don't personally know Trooper Rich, but I believe he also leaves behind small children.
If you pray, please include these families. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
So sad - that's got to be a very tough/dangerous job being out in the wilderness and essentially on their own most of the time.

Prayers going out to the family.

Did they catch the SOB that did it yet?

·
Premium Member
9,192 Posts
I am saddened to hear of the loss and my prayers are for the comfort of those they left behind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So sad - that's got to be a very tough/dangerous job being out in the wilderness and essentially on their own most of the time.

Prayers going out to the family.

Did they catch the SOB that did it yet?
Yes, they did.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Yes, they did.
Excellent. I just don't understand how some people don't value life these days. I've got numerous friends that are LEO all over Michigan - Lansing, Detroit and State Troopers as well. So often a thankless job. Is there any kind of donation site available for the families?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any kind of donation site available for the families?[/QUOTE]

Not yet. This just happened about 3pm this afternoon (Thur). I'm sure there will be.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My thoughts are with the families of those fine men.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Very sad news. I have no words. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones left behind.

Will you please keep us informed, if a donation site is set up?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Very sad. Our country is going in the wrong direction.

Prayers sent. :pray:

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
RIP Sgt. Johnson and Trooper Rich. Prayers to your families and fellow troopers.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
"Investigating a report of domestic violence", what a shame. The world is nuts.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Rick,
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families that lost members of their familes. Prayers for your son and all police officers to have a safe tour so they can return home to their families. Glad to hear they got the one that did this.
So sad for all.

Gene

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
I used to know a few of the Troopers. The AST is like no other. These men and women go above and beyond in actually protecting and serving the Alaskan residents. I hope their families will be ok during this tough time.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,487 Posts
My thoughts are with their families. Domestic calls pose the highest risk for LEOs.
Agree, usually the people are in the midst of proving the world is nuts.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have been following the Alaska State Troopers program on History Channel since it's inception, in fact I watched the latest episode this morning. Each episode this season has been dedicated to two other troopers KIA, one was a pilot.

The human animal is the most dangerous animal in the world.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
May 2, 2014

Biographies for Sgt. Scott Johnson and Trooper Gabe Rich

Sgt. Scott Johnson was born in Fairbanks, but grew up in Tok where he graduated from Tok School in 1987. He was 45 at the time of his death. Johnson was a North Slope Borough Police Officer for three years before joining the Alaska State Troopers ranks in 1993. Afterward, he headed to Fairbanks where he worked his entire 20-year trooper career. During his long esteemed career, he worked as a patrol trooper; was a field training officer; was a canine officer, instructor and canine unit supervisor; supervisor of the Fairbanks Areawide Narcotics Team; patrol shift supervisor; an assistant team leader for the Northern Special Emergency Reaction Team (SERT); and finally rural unit sergeant. He is survived by his wife, daughters ages 16, 14, and 12; his parents and siblings.

Trooper Gabe Rich was born in Sayre, Pennsylvania, but moved to Fairbanks shortly after his birth. He graduated from Lathrop High School in 2006. He was 26 at the time of his death. He spent four years working as a patrolman with the North Pole Police Department before deciding to become an Alaska State Trooper in 2011. Trooper Rich worked in Fairbanks patrol for the majority of his 3 ½ years as a trooper, then moved to the Rural Unit. He is survived by his fiancé, their 1-year-old son; and his parents. He was in the process of adopting his fiancé’s 8-year-old son.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts