Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a 1025R this spring with Loader, Mower and Snowblower. This will be to replace an old riding mower and be used for yard work and snowblowing in the winter. I mow about 2 acres around the house and backyard. So the first question is about the mower. Is this to big of a machine to be mowing around a house and backyard? Originally was thinking of a EZtrak Zero turn for this but the dealer seem to think that the mower of the 1025R would work well. I like the idea of a multipurpose machine.

Second Question is about tires. Dealer is recommending the R3 Turf tires said they would work better mowing and with chains in the winter, kinda makes sense but will also be doing some bucket work occasionally around the back yard and into some brushy areas. Opinions on the R4's for this?

Last question is on the snowblower. We don't have a huge driveway but takes way too long with a walk behind blower now. I like the front mount for ease of operation and control but also would need the bucket occasionally to move some snow from an inside corner where snow comes off the roof. Does a rear mount make more sense or can the front mount be swapped fairly easily.

Thanks for any comments.

·
Administrator
20,889 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Good questions.

Yes, the 1025R would be a great choice for all the chores you have listed. Get the 60D mower if you don't have obstacles that require the smaller 54" mower. It's a really good mower. The R3 tires will provide excellent traction on your lawn and are a great choice for snow removal chores. R4's tend to be better for lots of heavier duty woods works, loader work, dirt work etc. They're not really needed for the typical homeowner chores. That being said I own R4's. I like the heavier duty side walls for the loader work that I do. Either way, both will work for your scenario, but I think the R3's would be a better choice.

I don't own a snow blower, but there are tons of members who will gladly lend you their opinion.:thumbup1gif:

:wgtt:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a 1026r for about an acre and a third. So you are definitely not too big. Will be a good fit for your yard. I have the 54" deck as it was a better fit between a few tight areas.

Tires are a personal choice it seems, both are well design for the tractor. Unlike other models, the r3 and r4's are both 4 ply on the 1 series, so there is no issue with quality.

The snowblower again is a personal choice. From reading here you can go from a front mount blower to loader in about 15-20 mins, once you know what you are doing. The cost was a little too much for me so I went with a rear mount unit (also small driveway). I have been more then pleased with its performance, but can get a little sore in the neck if you don't sit sideways on the seat. If money was no issue and the change over was nothing to worry about I would go with the front mount unit.

·
Premium Member
14,907 Posts
Looking at purchasing a 1025R this spring with Loader, Mower and Snowblower. This will be to replace an old riding mower and be used for yard work and snowblowing in the winter. I mow about 2 acres around the house and backyard. So the first question is about the mower. Is this to big of a machine to be mowing around a house and backyard? Originally was thinking of a EZtrak Zero turn for this but the dealer seem to think that the mower of the 1025R would work well. I like the idea of a multipurpose machine.

Second Question is about tires. Dealer is recommending the R3 Turf tires said they would work better mowing and with chains in the winter, kinda makes sense but will also be doing some bucket work occasionally around the back yard and into some brushy areas. Opinions on the R4's for this?

Last question is on the snowblower. We don't have a huge driveway but takes way too long with a walk behind blower now. I like the front mount for ease of operation and control but also would need the bucket occasionally to move some snow from an inside corner where snow comes off the roof. Does a rear mount make more sense or can the front mount be swapped fairly easily.

Thanks for any comments.
First off welcome from West Virginia

I went from a 54 " deck to the 60" love it , can get around trees and fence post much easier without the worry of hitting the ROPS lights. To answer your question I own less than 1 acre but help with over 3 acres total. Past years had been helping with another friend that had around 3 acres. No I don't think it is to big for that little amount .Like the dealer said if you want a loader, why not buy a series 1 instead of buying 2 or 3 machines.

I have always gone with R4 tires , that way doing the summer months , if you mow on a hill side you don't need to keep chains on year around. Just my 2 cents. I asked my dealer just last week and he told me about 60% have R4 and the rest have Turf.
For blower I have front mount 47 " blower and 54 blade, I use my quite a bit helping the neighbors. so for me rear blower was never a thought. As for switching between blower and fel guessing 20"-30 min at the most.
Hope this helps some , listen to all replies you will hear good and bad on R4 , on turfs , on frt and rear blowers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a 1025R with, among other accessories, an 60 inch belly mower. I mow about 2.5 to 3.0 acres in the summer. Mowing with this tractor and belly mower cut my mowing time in half when compared to the riding lawn mower I was using previously.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

I have a 1026 and mowing with a 54D deck. My "acreage" is... (wait for it)..... ½ acre minus house, detached garage/shop and big paved driveway. Yeah, with a steering wheel spinner it's nearly as nimble as my GX335/48C machine.

I'm with the dealer on the R3's for mostly mowing jobs... on those "off road excursions" with a full load of gravel, etc. in the bucket R4's make more sense "less flatting" wise IF it's cut off brush or sharp rocks where you'll go. I have not seen any negatives mowing w/R4's as yet... BUT when the ground is soft I save some weight on the lawn using my GX w/turfs until lawn dries out again. (I miss that diesel mowing sound!:
laugh:)

If that blower (wish I had one for the 1026!) switches out as easily as the loader, BH and mower deck, and you learn what it needs to connect/disconnect properly... I don't see any benefit to having to wind your neck backwards to blow snow. After all I've put my neck through it doesn't want any repeated rotations like that! I have a plow (so far) and no longer have any jobs with those "blind spots" you mention. One thing sure, "You gonna love that machine!" Good luck!

Thanks for any comments.

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

From CT

Others above have covered questions well, I have a 2305 w/ 54 deck, loader, turfs and front mount snowblower...on just under 1 acre, all work well, turfs are filled (rears) for added traction. I prefer them over R4's overall, kind to lawn, do very well snowblowing, did buy chains but have yet to use them in 5 years. As for loader the R4's will dig in better but I am not in a big rush when working w tractor so turf do fine

Good luck w purchase, you will love it

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,837 Posts
RandyH,
I read through the replies from the other members (yes all of them) and I cannot add a thing other than a lot of good information and good members here on GTT.
Welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
As others said the 1025 will be fine for mowing. It may turn shorter than the GT you have now. The front blower isn't hard to put on , but I wouldn't want to put it on every time I needed to use it.

As for tires, I think either will work fine for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank everyone for the comments and recommendations. Really does help hearing from others and the experience you have had with your JD. Think I'll look toward a 60" mower, Turf tires, and front mount 54" snowblower.

I'm sure I'll be back with other questions...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,837 Posts
I want to thank everyone for the comments and recommendations. Really does help hearing from others and the experience you have had with your JD. Think I'll look toward a 60" mower, Turf tires, and front mount 54" snowblower.

I'm sure I'll be back with other questions...
I am sure we all look forward to your progress and input further down the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Remember "R3-er's", a small investment in a set of chains will go a very long way towards R4 type traction for loader work... AND they come off when you don't need them. As with R4's, DON'T SPIN chained wheels and you will have less scuffing than R4's. I got a great increase in traction for loading my Johnny Bucket Jr. with the chains on my R3 clad GX335.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since this is going to be a new purchase I would lean to putting all of the extra hydraulic's on that are offered as well. If you decide to buy a BH or log splitter or any other rear attachment that needs hydraulic's you will already have it in place and it will be covered under the 0% finance if your going that route.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
489 Posts

Thanks for any comments.
Randy,

I have a 1026R with R3 tires (rear tires loaded with beat juice), 60D MMM and H120 loader. My property is right about 1 acre with the front yard perfectly level and the rear yard perfectly sloped. I can tell you that this machine is perfect for the chores I do year around.

The 4 wheel drive comes in handy when pulling the aerator uphile in the back yard or when plowing my concrete driveway. I use the loader and a 60" rear blade for snow removal (no chains required but I also have a set hanging in the JD garage left over from my 445 tractor). The RB2060L rear blade is perfect for plowing the driveway when less than 6" of snow has fallen. I use the loader for more heavy duty snow removal and for piling the snow high. Just today, I used the loader to knock down the season's snow piles so they will melt away faster. If you don't have several hundred feet of driveway, why invest in a snow blower? My driveway consists of an apron in front of the 3 stall garage plus a total of about 90' x 11' of driveway.

Consider buying a Quick Hitch for your 3PH if you're planning to use a lot of rear attachments. Also, consider buying a 3rd SCV (Selective Control Valve) that you can use to control the hydraulics on any towed attachments or the grapple that you may want to add to your loader someday. For example, my 3rd SCV is used to hydraulically angle my rear blade and to raise/lower the wheels on my aerator.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yes all of what they said and mostly get the 3rd scv valve. I just bought a 1025r and didn't think to have the valve installed before hand. Wishing I had it already and its only been a month. Now I have to add it myself and well I'm just not there yet. It will be getting a diverter for future grapple use and angling front snow plow. wish I'd have read this thread before I bought mine. Great tractor so far though

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
:hi::wgtt:

Welcome from the top of Maine!

All great answers to your questions. I have 4 acres of land and mow close to 2.5 acres using a 2320 with a 62D mower deck and R3's. A 2320 has the same HP but a bigger frame than a 1025R. I used a rear snowblower for almost 10 years. My advise to you is........get the front snowblower.......you won't regret it. I just purchased one this winter and let me tell you........I should've done it years ago.

·
Premium Member
14,907 Posts
:hi::wgtt:

Welcome from the top of Maine!

All great answers to your questions. I have 4 acres of land and mow close to 2.5 acres using a 2320 with a 62D mower deck and R3's. A 2320 has the same HP but a bigger frame than a 1025R. I used a rear snowblower for almost 10 years. My advise to you is........get the front snowblower.......you won't regret it. I just purchased one this winter and let me tell you........I should've done it years ago.
I agree, if you plan on using the blower more than 15-20 min ,there is no way I would buy a rear blower. After using the tiller for 20-30 min I'm pretty well done for the rest of the day. I guess falling down our steps about 15 yrs ago hasn't helped , and as we get older that doesn't help.

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
28 Posts
2305 here, 3 acs mow with long gravel drive and gravel access road to take care of at our new rural home. This summer will have serious landscaping to do. 54" front blower and 5'rear blade is my winter setup, rest of time is the FEL and box blade or 62"mmm. I run r4s which seem to do fine (w/chains in snow) year-round. Need a QH or Pat's next. Looking for a lawn roller, and yearning for a tiller (not sure about this, given the 2305's reputation for blowing up the rear PTO).
Get the front blower, add a rear blade, that's the snow-killing combo. And a ski mask, unless you add a cab :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to update everyone that commented on the post. I placed the order for the 1025R today with R3 turf tires, H120 Loader, 60D MMM, 47" Quick Hitch Snow Blower, and RB2060 Rear blade. Looking forward to getting alot of yard work done this summer. Should see it in a couple of weeks.

I'll post up some Pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the purchase...you will love it... I literally just spent the first 2 hours (ever) operating it to repair my gravel drive... When I came in for lunch the wife says "well?" -- first impression - how did I take care of this property (8 acres) without a FEL and a box blade.... love it, power to spare even with a 5' box blade full of gravel.

I had the box blade on the iMatch and was having trouble lowering the deck to remove it. Once I dropped that off, raised the 3PH all the way up - what a breeze to remove the deck..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts