Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is dry and dusty here! This week I sub soiled some hard packed trails, ran the chisel plow over them, then tilled them with the 3720 to break up the lumps.... Let me say that even in the cab, I got dusty. When I got out and closed the cab door the rear filter expelled about 2 cups worth of dust. It normally pushed some dust out when you close the door, but this was over the top. I took a leaf blower to the tractor when I was done to get the dust out! I even opened the doors and took it to the inside.

I was thinking on adding somethig to the outside of the filter cartidge to cath the big stuff. Something that I can clean quick, rather than taking the filter out each time I go. I figured anybe a prefilter type thing like they use on ATV's? Right now, my 2 year old cab filter is looking bad after getting blown out every other trip.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wish JD would have done the filter system different. Same issue haying with our 4520.

I would worry about not having enough air flow.

How often do you knock out the filter or replace it?

D.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I blow it out every other time when I am working in dust. If I blow the dust off the tractor, I take out the filter and blow it out. Quite often. I ahve not replaced it yet. I bought one, but I see no sense in putting it in since one of these days the new machine will come in.... I would like to do something with the new tractor to stop a majority of the dust.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yep even the dealers will blow them out before replacing them. That seems to be the way to go.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I probably will be blowing mine out this morning.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I blow mine out after each mowing session, which is about 3 hours. 3 hours cool in the cab, then blow out the filter the next morning when it's cool, that's an OK trade off. I also blow air through and across the radiators at the same time, the whole procedure is about 10 minutes start to finish. This fall I'll get a new one so I have it ready for whenever the original one gives out.

Pete

·
Registered
382 Posts
eepete, sounds like a good schedule. I might even adopt it myself. I mow for less time but, when it is hot, it is good to wait until the next morning.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not that I have heard on any of the forums

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a suggestion for anyone who blows off their tractor with a leaf blower after use. DO NOT BLOW THE FILTER AREA WITHOUT REMOVING IT.....

I was blowing out the area with the leaf blower lightly each time than I would take it apart every other time, or about every 3 hours. The leaf blower tore up the little black foam section and allowed more dirt into the normal filter. My filter was bit ragged since I thought the new tractor was going to be here, and the blower pushed dirt past the filter and into the system, then into the cab once I turned on the ac. Good thing to learn now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Being in the HVAC business I have also considered the idea of an additional prefilter. A good thing to have might be a formed screen filter a preimeter frame and velcro to attach it with. Not very durable for woods work but might help for hay fields. You can make one easily forming the screen over a small plastic dish and use a piece of folded sheetmetal cleat to form the perimeter frame. Much like a clothes dryer screen. Needs to be larger than the inner filter though to keep down the air restriction.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you talking about using heavy metal screening like what would be used with home windows? You have my attention.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You could use that, most of it is aluminum screen. I think if I went to the trouble of forming a screen with a raised shape to it I would rather use something more durable, stainless steel comes to mind. The proper mesh shaker screen would be the ticket for durability but might be harder to form into shape. I was just thinking that a form could be made in wood with the screen laid out over it and could use a vacuum bag to make it shrink to fit the block shape. May work on this over the winter to figure this out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts