Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Preen for weed control? I have a 3700 sq. ft. garden and the directions are a little confusing. I have a medium loom type of soil. Directions say 1 pound for every 900 sq.ft. or a little over 4 pounds for the garden. However on the container (16 pounds) it says it treats about 2700 square feet. Soooo which is right? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Rifleman

·
Registered
82 Posts
I buy around 60 LBS of preen a year for my Asparagus and put it on with a hand rotary spreader. As a rule for us we put it on maybe a pinch thicker then if we were planting grass seed then till it in a inch or so. Each year is a little different but the Preen last about 3 months then the propane torch comes out. Preen works excellent for what it is and will save a lot of work.

·
Registered
988 Posts
However much you use, be sure everything in your garden has pushed through and is growing well. Preen is a pre-emergent, and will prevent desirable as well as non-desirable plants from germinating. The landscaper I work with uses it for all our plant beds (ornamental shrubs, perennials, and annuals) and we only spread it after everything is planted and growing. You want to use it over mulch or pine needles, not under a top cover, if you use one. Pre-emergents are usually effective for around 90 days; my vegetable garden practice is to apply a fertilizer with a pre-emergent mix in January, after plowing and tilling it. I don't plant until April, and I will till again just before planting. This brings moist soil up to plant in, and also breaks up the remnants of the barrier the pre-emergent creates. My early Spring weeds are almost nil and decreases how much I have to treat for weeds until well after the veggies are up and growing. My preferred control after that is tilling between rows, and careful spot spraying or wiping of stuff like crabgrass.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wouldn't use it: This pesticide is extremely toxic to freshwater marine, and estuarine fish and aquatic invertebrates including shrimp and oyster. Do not apply in a manner which will cirectly expose canals, lakes, streams, ponds, marshes or estuaries to aerial drift. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters. Do not apply directly to water.

·
Registered
13,536 Posts
we tried it many yrs ago-with no luck. maybe we done it wrong or something as the weeds still grew that yr. so we never bought anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I used it 20 some years ago. It severely stunted the growth of my landscaping. I would not use at all. I carefully spot spray with roundup under low pressure stop eliminate drift.
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts