Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a prefab diy steel building that will be installed on a concrete pad. The size I'm looking for is 24'x'24' with 10' side walls.
***The hardest part is finding a company that will unload the pallets when delivered. Also easy enough to build by myself with no help. Looking for a steel frame and steel siding garage.
So does anyone know of any companies that is NOT like a versatube style building?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
on that size of building freight will be a big factor so close proximity is a cost savings.....just google pre-engineered metal buildings in your area and get prices...finding one close will more than pay for the cost to hire someone to unload it for you...the hardest bundle to unload will be your roof sheets so would be good to find out the weight of that package to find someone to unload...might luck into a company that unloads anyway

i have seen 2 guys unload that size building by hand....or a small tractor will do it allso

in my area ...if you want a wood/steel combo the lumber yards sell packages and unload and would probably be a good resource for companies in your area that provide what you want...

when in doubt ....ask at lumber yards...and concrete companies they usually know who does what

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
This is the manufacturer that I used. It's my understanding that one company actually manufacturers all "red iron" steel buildings except a small percentage.

Metal Building Supply Company | Home

They gave me 3wk notice of delivery and I had a forklift ready when the truck came. I had all the structure up in 4 days by myself. Lots of up and down a ladder, but doable. I called some friends to help with insulation and sheeting. Super easy. Wouldn't hesitate one second to do it again.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
here is a link to accredited mbma members but these are the "large" manufacturers for every one of these there are 10 un-accredited companies .......as Big said many of the smaller companies usually do not manufacturer all the parts they sell....some may get their purlins or sheet metal elsewhere and package it with their frames ....

mbma accredited member list

Accredited MBMA Members | MBMA

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
If delivery is you main issue, rent a small telehandler for the day, or a week or even a month to help with construction.

Also, from personal experience, 24x24 is not very big if you have "toys", it fills up quick and get pretty small when you add shelving/racking.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If delivery is you main issue, rent a small telehandler for the day, or a week or even a month to help with construction.

Also, from personal experience, 24x24 is not very big if you have "toys", it fills up quick and get pretty small when you add shelving/racking.
That is the way to go. That stuff is heavy. Check rentals out ahead of time. Some places make you take a safety class before you can rent. Many have different rules on insurance also. You'll want to make sure you have that all squared away ahead of time.

Rent the basket for it too if they have one.

Not everyone has access to a West Brick Buggy.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
This is the manufacturer that I used. It's my understanding that one company actually manufacturers all "red iron" steel buildings except a small percentage.

Metal Building Supply Company | Home

They gave me 3wk notice of delivery and I had a forklift ready when the truck came. I had all the structure up in 4 days by myself. Lots of up and down a ladder, but doable. I called some friends to help with insulation and sheeting. Super easy. Wouldn't hesitate one second to do it again.
Hey Big,, your building sounds interesting,,
can you give us an idea of what just the building cost? I know concrete will vary a LOT by area,,
I think I am close enough to you that the cost would be similar,,,

Also,, a pic would be great,,

I have been thinking about something like this to use as a fab shop, not a place to store machines,,

,, and size would be great!! :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Cost? Sheesh lettme think....man there was lots stuff going on around that time. Just the the building was I think 12k. 30'x40' with 12' high walls. Insulated. This doesn't include concrete. The kit came with Everything! Screws,nuts, bolts caulk,..etc.

I received a set of plans probably a month before delivery and studied up on it. The "Red Iron" was all tagged with numbers/letters, so you knew what was what. The sheeting was all cut to a size that was about a foot longer from where it was supposed to go. Even came with a man door. I can't stress enough how easy it was. I had a forklift but like Kenny said, a Lull or Telehandler would be awesome.

A few pics. Looks allot different now. Landscaping, lights, shed roof, mezzanine, work benches, etc...

9628.jpeg

9629.jpeg

9632.jpeg

9635.jpeg

9638.jpeg

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Looking for a prefab diy steel building that will be installed on a concrete pad. The size I'm looking for is 24'x'24' with 10' side walls.
***The hardest part is finding a company that will unload the pallets when delivered. Also easy enough to build by myself with no help. Looking for a steel frame and steel siding garage.
So does anyone know of any companies that is NOT like a versatube style building?
I went with Mueller Building, they have a website. Not sure they go that far north, they are out of Texas. I had them build the pallets so they didn't weigh more than about 1K a piece and then I unloaded them my self with my tractor. Shipping is a big cost so don't dismiss what others are saying about that.

If you can find a local supplier then you will save a ton. There are plenty of metal building suppliers out there on the net but make sure you research what you are getting and that it can take the snow and wind loads Nebraska can get. Does your county require a permit? Mine did, which meant I had to send in a copy of the plans with a engineering stamp of a civil engineer licensed to operate in NC. No big deal but it means you need to buy the building, usually, in order for the company to provide a copy of the plans, so make sure you are getting what you want.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Does your county require a permit?

When I built my 58X45x21 high shed I went to the county, and told them it was an agricultural use building,,
They gave me the permit, but, since it was for AG,, there was zero requirements,, and zero inspections,,:dunno: The cost was $15 for the permit,,

The entire frame of my building is welded together,, other than the mezzanine floor, (hardwood flooring) there is not a nail in my building.

I hate to tell the cost of my building,,
other than the roll up door,, I spent less on the building than I did on the 4" thick concrete slab,, :yahoo:

I blew a wad on the roll up door,, 18 feet wide, 11 feet high,, motorized,, $5K,,, :flag_of_truce: that was more than the rest of the metal in the building,,,

·
Registered
23,279 Posts
If I were looking for something like the OP is I would first go to my local or nearby lumber yard (not Lowe's etc.). Most times those places can get anything you want. They can have it delivered to their place and help arrange jobsite delivery for you.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
If I were looking for something like the OP is I would first go to my local or nearby lumber yard (not Lowe's etc.). Most times those places can get anything you want. They can have it delivered to their place and help arrange jobsite delivery for you.
Go to a lumber yard to look for a steel building? I don't know that I would do that.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Lumber yards around here sell a lot more stuff than wood.
Around here you will likely get a better price from a company that sells only steel buildings and if you wanted a stick framed building you'd go to the lumber yard. I actually priced our local GBS lumber supply for a stick built vs getting a quote from Metal Building Supply Company for a steel building. The steel building was not only cheaper, but allot less labor than a stick built. Albeit the stick built would have looked better with shingles and siding, but hey, isn't a shop supposed to look like a shop:laugh:

The metal building companies just sell metal buildings, so I would hope that they could produce a better price point than someone whose primary sale's is lumber. Just my way of thinking. I'm sure it's regional as well, like you stated.

Reactions: JD4044M and mjncad

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Just as a comment steel purlins can span over 24' so no center frame will be required...building can esentually be stuck framed with c and z members

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I went to my county building and safety today to get my questions answered to pull a permit. I found out that I live in a real strict county. They make it almost impossible for a homeowner to pull a permit and build himself to save money. If I ordered a prefab kit it must engineer stamp by the state of Nebraska only. Plus I would need stamped plans for the 3 ft footings from somewhere else to pull a permit.

If I ordered a stick build frame kit from my local lumber yard I will still need the install OSB and house wrap before the metal sheets go up. Then pay someone else for the stamped footing plans.

After adding the extra cost to pull the permit to build myself may not be worth it. I may be saving a couple thousand dollars than hiring a local steel building company.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Personally I would not build mine anymore these buildings go up so fast with people who do them for a living. Bid it out your not saving much in the end and not doing them all the time I bet you will cuss it a few times before it is built. I did the insides of my big 48x 60 barn and just had the shell built for $15,000.00 and so much of the building needed 3-4 people at a time to build. Roof tin was a little over 26 ft long to put up there and not bend in the process. That way the building is done in a couple days and you can start using it right off. One thing to think about is getting hurt in the middle then finding someone to finish it? Us older guys think about getting hurt more takes a long time to heal!

My 1,680 sq ft home was dried in, roof, windows, porch, outside doors and all inside framing ready for plumbing, electrical, insulation and sheet rock "foundation up" in 2 weeks 2 guys doing it. Cost $28,500.00 and never had a problem with that contractor. The 2 guys piece worked the job and loved it! By the time I was almost done I had around $180K into the place with the property. Cost to do it over would double that now easy! They want $65-100.00+ a hour for most subs to build your home. I framed up and built this little barn first that was fun in the winter and by myself but it cost only materials to build it but I was 24 years younger! small barn.jpg BARN13.JPG BARN26.JPG

1 - 20 of 39 Posts