Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are most of you using rattle cans or a spray gun? I've always used cans, but am open to better ways of doing things.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
If I am painting it, that means it is something that wears against the ground, snow/ice, trees and such. Rattle can. It is fast and easy.

·
Premium Member
11,363 Posts
A wire brush or flap disc followed by a coating of primer followed by a coat of rattle can paint. Looks good and lasts for years.

What type of implement are you wanting to paint?

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I with jgayman, sand, primer, paint. All rattle can (y)

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Touch up or wheels spray can. Parts I can pick up by hand and hold on a wire spray can. Anything bigger I use a gun, I am not saying it a spray can cannot do a good job but the gun is cheaper and the finish will be smoother, For me.

·
Premium Member
11,363 Posts
If you want to improve your rattle can results 10-FOLD and give your finger a break, get yourself one of these Rustoleum spray can handles. It will be the best $7.50 you ever spent. You can literally empty can after can with no hand or finger fatigue and the control that it provides is amazing. It's the next best thing to having a gun. Be sure you spend the extra $2.00 to get the deluxe version pictured below, it works much better than the economy version they sell (and is more comfortable too).

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Speaking of rattle cans, check out this beauty. Full 10" fan spray. Cover large areas fast. I saw it at home Depot and had to try it out. Painting the inside of a deer blind.
IMG_20200216_172158.jpg
IMG_20200216_172212.jpg

·
Registered
641 Posts
Lmao.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I'm a terrible rattle can painter. If it's anything I'll use the gun.
Having the ability to powder coat makes that the best option for me.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
On attachments that are going to take a beating, I use POR15 (with recommended prep), followed by an HVLP paint job if I care about looks. If I don't care so much about looks, but re-touchability, I brush on a couple of thick coats of Rustoleum after the POR.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Gun spraying is typically done around 40psi. Most 20 gallon compressors will put out enough air. Until a few years ago all I had was an old 4hp 20 gallon craftsman. By the way the 4hp is a sticker, it will pull 15amps at 110v, that might be a better way to compare it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
obviously prep is key........but its good to note rattle can paint is a single component paint so it will never get as hard or wear as well as the two component paints........so if i use a rattle can on something i will usually put on multiple coats just to get extra thickness...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,685 Posts
If you want to improve your rattle can results 10-FOLD and give your finger a break, get yourself one of these Rustoleum spray can handles. It will be the best $7.50 you ever spent. You can literally empty can after can with no hand or finger fatigue and the control that it provides is amazing. It's the next best thing to having a gun. Be sure you spend the extra $2.00 to get the deluxe version pictured below, it works much better than the economy version they sell (and is more comfortable too).
X2 (y)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Don’t forget the clear coat. The rattle can clears with UV protection can really make your work pop and stay that wat for a long time. Multiple coats of clear applied lightly give the best results.

·
Registered
598 Posts
A note on clear coat: HAVE PATIENCE! Allow at least a week for color coat to dry, otherwise it will wrinkle. I usually top coat and then spray a piece of scrap metal. When I can clear the scrap metal, I'm usually good for my finished product. Probably 95% of my painting is with rattle can...to lazy to clean gun! Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts